Question about doing a Neurology residency as a DO Medical student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions about doing Neurology as a DO Medical Student.

Is there anything I should do as a DO student when preparing for my applications for Neurology programs..??

How important are preclinical and clinical grades to get in?

Like asides from the obvious Neurology elective rotations, personal statement, LOR from Neuro doctors I rotated with anything else?
Do I need very high COMPLEX/USMLE scores and high medical school grades??

Generally they say Neurology isn't so hard to get into? Does that mean it is easier to get into than Family med, internal med, psych, etc?

Also, just wondering if its true the average salary for Neuro. doctors starting out are 190k? Also I hear the demand is pretty good but wondering what you all in the field think.

Anything else I should know before planning a career in Neuro.
I do know its a field where you have more of a stronger interaction with your patients since your more focused on improving their independence and mobility after certain events.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything I should do as a DO student when preparing for my applications for Neurology programs..??
Not only for neurology but for everything, you should do your best on boards and try to have some research experience.

Unless you fail a course, no one cares about preclinical grades. Many specialties like that you honor their rotations, but not a requirement. So grades, in general, aren't important because they are not standardized.

Like asides from the obvious Neurology elective rotations, personal statement, LOR from Neuro doctors I rotated with anything else?
Do I need very high COMPLEX/USMLE scores and high medical school grades??
The higher the boards the better. Neurology is not a competitive specialty, unless you are aiming at specific programs/region. Only advice I have for you is to take step1 and step2.

Generally they say Neurology isn't so hard to get into? Does that mean it is easier to get into than Family med, internal med, psych, etc?
Generally, easier than IM, same or easier than psych (depends on program/location) and more competitive than FM.
Keep in mind that matching a no name community IM program can be as easy as FM

Also, just wondering if its true the average salary for Neuro. doctors starting out are 190k? Also I hear the demand is pretty good but wondering what you all in the field think.
A good proportion of neurologists work in academia, and academic jobs pay less than private practice. Therefore, the average salary of neurologists you see on most surveys is artificially low. Based on reading and asking around, starting pay is ~250k in PP and 160k in academia.

It's arguably the most exciting field in medicine. It's also the one with most potential.

I do know its a field where you have more of a stronger interaction with your patients since your more focused on improving their independence and mobility after certain events.

Thanks.
responses in the quote

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Take the USMLE step 1 and 2 and do well (see other threads for advice on this). Do away rotations at reputable MD residency programs early in 4th year (July/August) and obtain at least 3 good LORs from the programs. Aka USMLE score and LORs matter alot

Preclincal grades don't matter, unless there's some sort of red flag like failing. Class rank matters somewhat, but not much (some programs assign a point if you're above a certain %).

Research helps somewhat if you're into that, especially at academic programs, but it's not necessary.

Do I need very high COMLEX/USMLE scores and high medical school grades??
Do as well as you can in the USLME, especially if you want to go to geographically desirable areas and/or competitive academic programs. You don't need a "very high" USMLE score though. Meds school grades themselves don't matter.

No, definitely not easier than FM/psych and generally not easier than IM except for competitive academic insti. It seems to be getting more competitive each year though.

Starting salary is highly variable, depending on things like sub-specialty, geographic location, academic vs community, how much you're willing to work, etc. Demand in general is good, but again it depends on what you're willing to do (general neurology vs super sub-specializing)

Make sure you like neuro before committing to it. It's an exciting time to enter the field.

Thanks.

Reply in bold above. Poster above me did a good job too