Question about carfentanil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I almost posted this in the pharmacy forum but decided I'd be more likely to get an answer here.

When I was in pharmacy school, it was mentioned to us along with a few other hardcore veterinary drugs just so we would know they existed, and I really never heard of it again until recently, because some heroin is being cut with it. Where they're getting it is a mystery to me, because it's dispensed by very few pharmacies and the paperwork needed to obtain it is staggering.

Anyway, someone on another board said that legal carfentanil is sold with the antidote (Narcan?) so a vet who's accidentally autoinjected with this doesn't, like, die or anything. I couldn't find anything about it via Google; does anyone here know? I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I almost posted this in the pharmacy forum but decided I'd be more likely to get an answer here.

When I was in pharmacy school, it was mentioned to us along with a few other hardcore veterinary drugs just so we would know they existed, and I really never heard of it again until recently, because some heroin is being cut with it. Where they're getting it is a mystery to me, because it's dispensed by very few pharmacies and the paperwork needed to obtain it is staggering.

Anyway, someone on another board said that legal carfentanil is sold with the antidote (Narcan?) so a vet who's accidentally autoinjected with this doesn't, like, die or anything. I couldn't find anything about it via Google; does anyone here know? I'm curious.
No reputable facility (in this case, zoos, since no other animal facility really has a need for carfentanil) would stock the drug without reversal whether it needed to be bought separately or not. That being said, carfentanil is so potent that giving the reversal doesn't mean the 'victim' will survive. The victim needs multiple doses. If you're asking whether the two drugs come as a combo pack automatically, that I don't know. There is a shortage of naloxone now due to the heroin epidemic, though. Hopefully no zoo vets are needing to deplete the supplies they already have.

Dealers are getting it from illegal labs in China, if not many other locations.

I've been told horror stories about carfentanil exposure...it's scary stuff.