Quality vs Quantity of Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ski89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, second year student here. I have been working on two research projects in ENT for the past year. One is a systematic review (I will be first author on this). The other is a prospective study in the H&N cancer field for which I came up with the idea following a literature review, designed the study, wrote and submitted the IRB, am currently collecting the data, and will of course eventually hope to complete and submit for a conference and publication in the next 6 months to 1 year. It has been incredibly time consuming and will likely be my only other project besides the systematic review (I may manage to get plugged into another project but I don't have anything on the horizon at this point).

My question is, after reading charting outcomes of the match, SDN, etc. I frequently see people reporting 4,5,6 + publications. How will the work I have done compare to others with this many publications? Am I just less productive than other applicants or might the amount of work and independent effort I have put into my prospective study hold a little more weight?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.