QR-specific study strategies

eyelovepuns

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am taking the OAT in just under a month and I am really struggling on the QR section of my practice tests. I haven't taken a math class (other than stats) since high school. What resources/strategies did you use to get extra practice for this particular section? I have the kaplan book that I have been using for all sections, but I would like to avoid paying for the full course now that I wouldn't have the time to fully utilize it. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I used Quizlet which is an app that has different flash card sets. I used some oat specific ones and also some basic college level math ones as well. The best practice is honestly practice tests and getting used to solving the questions quickly.

Hi!

I am taking the OAT in just under a month and I am really struggling on the QR section of my practice tests. I haven't taken a math class (other than stats) since high school. What resources/strategies did you use to get extra practice for this particular section? I have the kaplan book that I have been using for all sections, but I would like to avoid paying for the full course now that I wouldn't have the time to fully utilize it. Thank you
Hey! Honestly I wouln't really worry about the QR section being "math" per say- because the math on it is very simple- you use addition, subtraction, solving for x, probabilities , etc. Its called Quantitative Reasoning and not really "math" because I found it tests more-so your reasoning and problem solving skills- not your math skills. The best way to prep for this section is to do loads and loads of practice ( I used the cracking the OAT practice questions and I thought it really helped) -practice thinking creatively, logically and reasoning fast and efficiently. The questions aren't necessarily hard- I think that its the lack of timing that also gets people (I struggled with timing for sure lol). All the best! You got this!