QR and Orgo for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudblood100

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am studying for DAT and after 3 practice exams I am scoring (Kaplan)17....my exam is on may 22. Really worried about it...Do I have enough time to improve it vastly (~22)?

Also, I have noticed that I am getting all the probability and permutation questions wrong on the QR exam. I tried Chad videos and Kaplan chapter but it is not clicking. How did you guy study for that section? Any tricks or videos that helped you tackle these questions?

Secondly, DAT orgo Destroyer is KILLIG me! Every question seems foreign and it is really scary because I have done 140 questions and it is so freaking hard. Did you guys memorize the road map? I memorized the reactions on Chad, but it does not help with destroyer.

Sorry for being so panicky but I feel really discouraged :(

Members don't see this ad.

For probability and permutation I also used Khan Academy videos, but more than anything constant practice is essential for improvement in QR. Is your current issue in QR mostly lack of time, or are you unsure how to solve the problems? If the former, I think you could improve your score significantly if you practiced every day.

DAT Destroyer is usually pretty difficult the first time through - it's completely normal to be making mistakes at this stage, just make sure you're learning from it. Memorizing the road map is a pretty good idea, but if you've memorized the reactions Chad has covered you should already know about 90% of it.

For probability and permutation I also used Khan Academy videos, but more than anything constant practice is essential for improvement in QR. Is your current issue in QR mostly lack of time, or are you unsure how to solve the problems? If the former, I think you could improve your score significantly if you practiced every day.

DAT Destroyer is usually pretty difficult the first time through - it's completely normal to be making mistakes at this stage, just make sure you're learning from it. Memorizing the road map is a pretty good idea, but if you've memorized the reactions Chad has covered you should already know about 90% of it.
So going over Destroyer is a must? I was just aiming to finish all the questions due to the time crunch.

So going over Destroyer is a must? I was just aiming to finish all the questions due to the time crunch.

If you're finding it really difficult on the first pass through (again, very common) then you should try to work through it a second time to make sure you've learned all the concepts you were weaker in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the time crunch really? It is something we set to ourselves.

You need to be ready before you take the test unless you passed the limit for postponing your date, don't rush things.
Don't rush things for the sake of an imaginary deadline on the expense of destroying your score. Take the test when you are ready.
Use other resources for QR, there are tons of videos online about probability and permutation. Hell, if you are still a student, go to your math tutoring center and have someone explained it to you.

Again, don't rush things, don't panic, don't use just one resource as your study material, and you should be fine!

and by the way, even if you can't postpone your dat any longer, you still have about 25 days to be ready.
But if you are still a student, that means you have finals too. I would focus on my finals and postpone for a week at the least.

Hey guys,

So I am studying for DAT and after 3 practice exams I am scoring (Kaplan)17....my exam is on may 22. Really worried about it...Do I have enough time to improve it vastly (~22)?

Also, I have noticed that I am getting all the probability and permutation questions wrong on the QR exam. I tried Chad videos and Kaplan chapter but it is not clicking. How did you guy study for that section? Any tricks or videos that helped you tackle these questions?

Secondly, DAT orgo Destroyer is KILLIG me! Every question seems foreign and it is really scary because I have done 140 questions and it is so freaking hard. Did you guys memorize the road map? I memorized the reactions on Chad, but it does not help with destroyer.

Sorry for being so panicky but I feel really discouraged :(

First, dont feel discouraged! 50% of the DAT is mental. You'll do fine!

Second, i dont like kaplan i dont think its that good but i know other people like it.

Third, dat destroyer is called destroyer for a reason. It destroys you! Use it as a learning tool. Memorizing the roadmap wont hurt you at all

No it's not a must. Using a resource will not magically pull your scores up, you have to put in the time to get a 21+.

@orgoman22 There are a lot of people who use DATDestroyer who get below a 20. In fact, in this thread someone got a 17. So I don't think DATDestroyer is a must.

No it's not a must. Using a resource will not magically pull your scores up, you have to put in the time to get a 21+.

@orgoman22 There are a lot of people who use DATDestroyer who get below a 20. In fact, in this thread someone got a 17. So I don't think DATDestroyer is a must.
No product works miracles, the DAT Destroyer can't make up for a poor foundation in the subjects, but from my years of experience if students thoroughly work through the Destroyer, not taking shortcuts it is quite possible to obtain a high DAT Score.The DAT Destroyer is not easy and it is for the students who are committed to ALL the work.

No luck in high DAT scores, it takes a lot of hard work.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Can you use the DAT Destroyer and get a 17 or even a 15, of course you can, but that is generally because the student did not complete all the work.

Reactions: 1 user
No product works miracles, the DAT Destroyer can't make up for a poor foundation in the subjects, but from my years of experience if students thoroughly work through the Destroyer, not taking shortcuts it is quite possible to obtain a high DAT Score.The DAT Destroyer is not easy and it is for the students who are committed to ALL the work.

No luck in high DAT scores, it takes a lot of hard work.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Can you use the DAT Destroyer and get a 17 or even a 15, of course you can, but that is generally because the student did not complete all the work.

Good response, that's definitely true :)