Purdue C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not all waitlisted students are notified last minute. They have a list that they move down to notify waitlisted students as accepted students decline their position. So when you are called depends on your position on the waitlist and when others decline their spot. This is a common practice that occurs at most (if not all) of the vet schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh okay I figured most were notified earlier on. I was just wondering what happens if they do let you know kinda last minute. I wouldn't want to have to go through the heartbreak of getting accepted last minute but not being able to attend because there was no time to get loans and housing, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh okay I figured most were notified earlier on. I was just wondering what happens if they do let you know kinda last minute. I wouldn't want to have to go through the heartbreak of getting accepted last minute but not being able to attend because there was no time to get loans and housing, etc.

I know some people who were accepted two weeks before class started and they moved ASAP and started class with us on time. Im sure they had to take out private loans for first semester, as the loans process takes time. Anyways, it doesn't happen often so try not to jump to the worst case scenario and worry about that. Just take it one day at a time :)

Reactions: 1 user
Still deciding but do any guys that got accepted need a roommate in September?

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate and I still are.. but we prefer a girl.

There will be plenty of chances to find roommates when the class facebook page goes up. A lot of second and thirds years will also post to the page looking for an extra roommate

Reactions: 2 users
Have any advice for apartments for out of state students? I am accepted and have paid my deposit, so I will be attending in the fall. I guess really any advice you have that you are willing to type, I will take.

Eventually youll receive a document on where to find good apartments and places you should avoid living. Its really helpful as its like an excel sheet and lists all the prices/amenities of the apartments

Reactions: 1 users
Eventually youll receive a document on where to find good apartments and places you should avoid living. Its really helpful as its like an excel sheet and lists all the prices/amenities of the apartments

The current second years actually personally made that for you guys! I'm glad you liked it :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anybody that has filed their FAFSA received a financial aid award letter yet? I know they said by late February and there's still time, but I'm just curious.

If you can Purdue research foundation has apartments. They may not be fancy apartments but they are pretty good prices and the management is beyond amazing. They almost always fix my request the same day. Also Nichols rental on Chauncey street. They own only one building and they are good guys. They are slow to respond to maintenance but the location is nice and the apartments are nice. If you want to live off campus there are lots to choose from, but I don't have much experience with those

@skysong13 do you know when the Facebook page is usually made? I wanted to be able to post about housing!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any accepted students get a letter today for the student technologist position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to check my mail. What was it about??
A job position for first year students to work first through third year in the Clinical Pathology Lab. Sound like a pretty good position, but I don't know if the hours/holiday requirements are a good fit for me. But definitely something to consider! Pay is $11/hr.

A job position for first year students to work first through third year in the Clinical Pathology Lab. Sound like a pretty good position, but I don't know if the hours/holiday requirements are a good fit for me. But definitely something to consider! Pay is $11/hr.
I haven't checked my mail either but that does sound pretty cool

I got the letter today!
Haha yeah I just checked my mail and I got it too. It looks cool but the commitment is pretty long. Also I'm worried about working when I start vet school just because it may be too overwhelming

Haha yeah I just checked my mail and I got it too. It looks cool but the commitment is pretty long. Also I'm worried about working when I start vet school just because it may be too overwhelming
It looked like a great opportunity but with Holidays and having to be there earlier I don't think it'll work for me

Hey guys! I'm a second year at Purdue so if you have any questions about anything don't be afraid to send me a message :)

What are the exams like at Purdue? I know some vet schools have exams that are all multiple choice because the NAVLE is multiple choice, and I wondered if Purdue was the same way. Thanks!

Also what is the first year schedule like? In terms of school hours, when exams are, etc?

I have just committed to Purdue c/o 2021! Super excited to meet future classmates! :biglove:

Although still in shock that I actually just did this lol. The money part of vet school is starting to sink in :boom:

Most of the exams are multiple choice but some classes have some fill-in-the-blank, short answer, or very short essays. During first year classes are ~7:30AM-3:30Pm everyday and there is 1-2 (rarely up to 4) exams each week.

Is it April 18th yet?

raw

Just paid my deposit and committed to Purdue class of 2021! Soooo excited to meet my future classmates! So excited and a little nervous at the same time of this journey I will have to being a vet throughout the next four years lol.

Do you guys think/know if Purdue will send out more job offers like the student tech one?

Do you guys think/know if Purdue will send out more job offers like the student tech one?
I hope so. I inquired about the tech position but I can't do it b/c I would be missing a week of training due to my wedding, and they said that was too much training to miss. I'm hoping there will be other opportunities for work, especially during the summers.

Yeah, I'm not too sure what to either. I'd love to work full time this summer but the commitment for 3 years is quite a bit and I'd like future summers to be more free for internships.

Don't worry there are plenty of purdue vet school jobs. Each class has two AV techs to help with all the technological stuff, diagnostic imaging just posted about two student jobs, we just had a job posting for two people to clean the fridges once a week, food and imaging companies have paid student representatives, etc.

I also know some students work as a small animal caretaker. You feed the blood donor greyhounds and sanitize the wards and ICU. It's a pretty laid back job and flexible. The oncology department also hires students to walk patients at night. They also have vet assistants, but those are more for undergrads since it's during school hours.

Long time lurker. Accepted OOS, paid deposit a few days ago. See you all soon!

Question for current students: is there a white coat ceremony or something similar during orientation or before during classes? I am just curious and (with the potential for a wedding in the family) wanting to get an idea for timelines.

Newbie to studentdoctor.net here! Paid my deposit, I have committed to Purdue CVM Class of 2021! So excited!!! Just curious, what were you all doing when you received the acceptance call? :)

Newbie to studentdoctor.net here! Paid my deposit, I have committed to Purdue CVM Class of 2021! So excited!!! Just curious, what were you all doing when you received the acceptance call? :)
Welcome to SDN!

I was actually up in the research lab working on DNA extractions from sheep blood, so the whole phone call I had micro centrifuge tubes in my hand :laugh:

How about you?

Welcome to SDN!

I was actually up in the research lab working on DNA extractions from sheep blood, so the whole phone call I had micro centrifuge tubes in my hand :laugh:

How about you?
I wish I was doing something science-y when he called. I was watching TV and mentally debating if I should do homework or not. Your story is much better haha

Question for current students: is there a white coat ceremony or something similar during orientation or before during classes? I am just curious and (with the potential for a wedding in the family) wanting to get an idea for timelines.

There will be a stethoscope dinner the first week of September during your fourth year but unfortunately the white coat ceremony isn't until just before fourth year.

Congrats and can't wait to meet you!!! I was standing outside Physics ready to enter class. Let's just say I definitely don't remember anything from that lecture.

I was working at my kennel job so completely surrounded by barking dogs during the whole call! Lol

Just made my deposit! :) I'm so excited to start in the fall although I will definitely appreciate these next couple months before all the hard work starts. So excited to me you all!!

I was at work speaking with my boss (and fellow vet school applicant) when the dean called my husbands phone. When my husband tried to call me to let me know I ignored him, so he called our emergency line. I got the news standing in the middle of the hospital with my boss practically jumping up and down and demanding that I go call the dean back.

There will be a stethoscope dinner the first week of September during your fourth year but unfortunately the white coat ceremony isn't until just before fourth year.

What is a stethoscope dinner?

I believe the dinner is during first year! I think the Indiana vet association presents everyone with a nice stethoscope!

Congrats and can't wait to meet you!!! I was standing outside Physics ready to enter class. Let's just say I definitely don't remember anything from that lecture.

Nice! I was at work when I got a text from a friend asking me if I had received a call from Indiana. I was super upset because I didn't notice any call, until I actually checked and had a missed call and a voicemail. Called the dean back, no answer. He called me back at around 8pm when I was clocking out of the clinic and there was one other person in the vet clinic and I was just jumping up and down lol. Can't wait to meet ya!!

Just letting everyone know that my roommate and I have an extra bedroom in our apartment. I would love for another vet student to live there. Please pm me if you have any questions!!! Hoping they make the Facebook group page soon.

Mark your calendars for April 8th! Purdue's open house is from 10-4 pm!

Hi everyone! New to the site, but have decided to attend Purdue as part of the class of 2021 and I'm excited to meet future classmates! Are there any current students that wouldn't mind me asking a bunch of questions about supplies, housing, etc? OOS here, would greatly appreciate any help offered. :)