Purdue C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this one. Definitely my dream school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents are giving me enough money so that I'll be able to apply to nine schools! Looks like I'll be applying to OK State as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still debating about applying for Purdue...

Apply! It's a great school. Very family oriented and everyone helps out each other.

Apply! It's a great school. Very family oriented and everyone helps out each other.

Yea I've read nothing, but good things about the school. I love the idea that everyone is family oriented and helps each other out. I also really like the idea of a small class size. My only hesitation is that since there is a small class size, that means fewer of those who apply with get in. Because having money to apply to many schools is an issue, I'm trying to weigh my options to determine which schools I have the best chance at. I have 4 definite schools I'm applying for (Texas A&M, Georgia, Tufts, and Washington), but I'm still thinking of applying for at least one more. For the 5th one I'm unsure of if Purdue or Kansas fit my stats better

Not sure what your stats are but I know Purdue weighs cGPA and science pretty heavily.

I'm OOS and will definitely be applying. I like that accepted DVM students have the option of applying for the PhD dual degree after they've enrolled (at least, it was this way the last time I checked!).

Hey guys! I'm a second year at Purdue so if you have any questions about anything don't be afraid to send me a message :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Bumping this thread. Any hopeful boilermakers out there?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying to Purdue as well :)

Purdue is one of my top choices! Im excited to get my application rolling!

Hey all, I have been going back and forth with whether or not to apply to Purdue.. I really don't know much about the school other than the little blurb about it in the "factors when picking a school" thread.
This is one thing I did read: "You have to buy a brand new computer from the school that costs ~$2400. It's a mandatory luxury, so doesn't really factor into your loans and you have to order it before loans come in out of pocket". Is this true??

Yes it is true. I've been around a lot of the 4th years in clinics so I've seen them. They must be pretty durable to last that long and I think they can get it fixed for free. Not 100% sure on that. They're smaller.. Definitely not like a Mac or anything. Pretty expensive though.

Hey all, I have been going back and forth with whether or not to apply to Purdue.. I really don't know much about the school other than the little blurb about it in the "factors when picking a school" thread.
This is one thing I did read: "You have to buy a brand new computer from the school that costs ~$2400. It's a mandatory luxury, so doesn't really factor into your loans and you have to order it before loans come in out of pocket". Is this true??

Yes Purdue does require a laptop that's around $2k. The laptop is expensive because it's a really nice 2-in-1 and that price includes software, IT support, and a no-questions-asked replacement. You should definitely look into all aspects of each school you're thinking of applying to and consider total COA - don't just let the price of a computer scare you away :)

Yes it is true. I've been around a lot of the 4th years in clinics so I've seen them. They must be pretty durable to last that long and I think they can get it fixed for free. Not 100% sure on that. They're smaller.. Definitely not like a Mac or anything. Pretty expensive though.

Do you need the computer for the first semester of your first year? I was guessing so but figured I'd ask anyway.

Yes you buy it during the summer before your first year and you use it all 4 years. We take most of our exams on it :)

Yes you buy it during the summer before your first year and you use it all 4 years. We take most of our exams on it :)

Okay thanks. Do you know if there are any programs to help pay for it, or what happens if you can't pay for it out of pocket? I am just trying to consider the worst case scenario that I might not have that much money out of pocket I could pay at that point.

Okay thanks. Do you know if there are any programs to help pay for it, or what happens if you can't pay for it out of pocket? I am just trying to consider the worst case scenario that I might not have that much money out of pocket I could pay at that point.

No - as far as I know there are no programs. I think Purdue is pretty up front about the costs of the laptop and they basically include you buying the laptop as one of the stipulations for acceptance to the school. If unable to pay for the tablet, I would consider asking family for help or putting the amount on a credit card and then paying the card minimum payment each month until you can pay off the card balance once you receive your loans in August.

No - as far as I know there are no programs. I think Purdue is pretty up front about the costs of the laptop and they basically include you buying the laptop as one of the stipulations for acceptance to the school. If unable to pay for the tablet, I would consider asking family for help or putting the amount on a credit card and then paying the card minimum payment each month until you can pay off the card balance once you receive your loans in August.

Okay that is true and putting it on a credit card temporary could be an idea. I was just worried that I would get to that point and not be able to pay for it and therefore not be able to attend. So I would rather consider that as a factor now. Thanks again!

Yes Purdue does require a laptop that's around $2k. The laptop is expensive because it's a really nice 2-in-1 and that price includes software, IT support, and a no-questions-asked replacement. You should definitely look into all aspects of each school you're thinking of applying to and consider total COA - don't just let the price of a computer scare you away :)

Yikes! I am trying not to have that be a deciding factor at all... I guess I will have to see once I get an interview how I like the school! That is the most important. Thank yoU!

Does Purdue interview? I couldn't find anything about it on their website

Yes they do. Invites normally go out Friday of Finals Week (Normally 2nd or 3rd week of December), and interviews are normal held in the 3rd or 4th weekend in January.

Application is in committee review! Notified by email. Now here to wait until December.

Just got an email that I'm in committee review as well! Submitted August 15th!

Hey guys! I am a current first year at Purdue and let me tell you, it is fantastic here. The best part of Purdue is the small class size and the professor. All the professors are super nice and great professors and actually try to get to know you personally. I love my small class size as it feels like a second family and I got know everyone pretty well. I have even survived my first rounds of exams! Let me know if you have any questions! Boiler Up!

My dream school! I'm IS. Received an email saying that my application is in committee review. Now to wait until December!! :)

Starting to be the end of November! Time sure does fly by. I believe Purdue historically has sent out invites the Friday of finals week (for us IS at Purdue) at 5 pm. So hopefully on December 16th at the latest this year! However, someone said that last year they sent them out the week before finals!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when interviews will be held? I can't find dates anywhere...

I believe they are towards the end of January

Reactions: 1 users
The closest airport to Purdue is in Indianapolis, right? Hopefully I get an interview (and then get accepted)!! I have family up there that would be nice to see more than once a year!!

Aren't they usually around the last week of January? At least that's what I remember

Yes that's what I thought. Like the 28th/29th. And yes the closest airport would be Indy. We do have a hotel right on campus about a 10-15 minute walk to the vet school.

Sounds about right and the Friday of finals was the 18th last year and historically they've been on that date so hoping this Friday!

The closest airport to Purdue is in Indianapolis, right? Hopefully I get an interview (and then get accepted)!! I have family up there that would be nice to see more than once a year!!

Yup! I know some of my friends also flew in/out of Chicago O'Hare. I believe it is an extra 30 minutes away. Don't know if that gives you more options for flights?? I, however, have always flown into Indy.

At the Indy airport (I don't know about O'Hare) there should be a shuttle service to Purdue. However, if you choose to use them ALWAYS expect that they are going to be late. That has been my experience at least. The first time I used a shuttle, I nearly missed my flight. I was running down the terminal and my name was being paged over the intercom. Ever since then, I have booked an earlier shuttle. The two shuttle companies that I have used are Lafayette Limo and Star of America.

Last edited:
Yup! I know some of my friends also flew in/out of Chicago O'Hare. I believe it is an extra 30 minutes away. Don't know if that gives you more options for flights?? I, however, have always flew into Indy.

At the Indy airport (I don't know about O'Hare) there should be a shuttle service to Purdue. However, if you choose to use them ALWAYS expect that they are going to be late. That has been my experience at least. The first time I used a shuttle, I nearly missed my flight. I was running down the terminal and my name was being paged over the intercom. Ever since then, I have booked an earlier shuttle. The two shuttle companies that I have used are Lafayette Limo and Star of America.

In general flights to/from O'Hare are cheaper but Indy is much closer and will probably be cheaper overall when you consider taking the shuttle.

In general flights to/from O'Hare are cheaper but Indy is much closer and will probably be cheaper overall when you consider taking the shuttle.

I might fly into O'Hare and see if my aunt could take me to Purdue. She lives close to O'Hare, and has a daughter at Purdue she could visit

I called the school to ask when interviews would be held and they're "the last two fridays in Jan"

Also I asked if invites were coming out Friday and they said "within the next week or so" so probably this Friday if that's what the trend usually shows!

I flew into Chicago for my interview and flights were WAY cheaper than Indianapolis. It wasn't a bad drive either.

I called the school to ask when interviews would be held and they're "the last two fridays in Jan"

Also I asked if invites were coming out Friday and they said "within the next week or so" so probably this Friday if that's what the trend usually shows!

Thanks for calling! Yikes, I hope we get options! Already interviewing the weekend of the 20th..so that would only give me the last weekend. Another school is also interviewing that weekend too though, so I hope it all works out!

Thanks for calling! Yikes, I hope we get options! Already interviewing the weekend of the 20th..so that would only give me the last weekend. Another school is also interviewing that weekend too though, so I hope it all works out!
Yeah, I'm in the same boat :). I will probably have to decline something soon here. Too bad they weren't spread further out. We will see!

Does anyone know if they send them all out at once or in waves?