Pulmonary sub-specialty fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anri of Astora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it reasonable to look into sub-specialty fellowships like PH or lung transplant pretty early on if there is even an inkling of interest? Pretty stoked to start my PCCM fellowship so this may be premature, but I am leaning heavily in the direction of academic pulmonology with a heavy sub-specialty focus. It seems there are a few places that offer additional training in PH or lung transplant -- are these necessary or recommended for pursuit of an academic career in those fields? During my training I will have some exposure to both, but wondering if I should be actively seeking out more opportunities (clinical/research elective time) with mentors who are in those fields?

Thanks and happy new year's!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an interest it won't be hard to find more "training" either as some thankless just not faculty gig where you do learning on the job or even a "4th" year but it might be difficult to find a long term job you like doing only that sub sub specialty. Just FYI.

Thanks! I am definitely still interested in general pulm and have no problem doing the usual COPD, cough, asthma etc. Just want to make myself more marketable with extra training in a sub sub field of interest. Perhaps I will grow weary of more training eventually, but I don't view it as too much of a negative at this point!

Members don't see this ad :)
JDH has more experience with this than I, but from what I've seen, extra training seems to be mandatory if you want to be the medical director of a transplant pulmonology program in an academic center, for example. But it seems that beyond that and IP, most "super" subspecialty training is optional.

Thanks! I am definitely still interested in general pulm and have no problem doing the usual COPD, cough, asthma etc. Just want to make myself more marketable with extra training in a sub sub field of interest. Perhaps I will grow weary of more training eventually, but I don't view it as too much of a negative at this point!

I guess my point was, you should be able to rather easily find additional sub-subspecialty training. BUT, all of that extra training may NOT translate into a long term academic job in that area.

I don't say this to discourage you, but to simply give you an "eyes wide open" assessment of the way I see the situation.

Reactions: 1 user
This applies to any sub-sub specialty, but don't forget the opportunity cost of extra training.

If you stay on for 60-70k as a PGY7, you are giving up the 300-350 you could be getting in practice for that year, or the year you could be working towards partnership in a private group. Is that extra year worth you effectively paying $275,000 for it?

Reactions: 1 users
Reviving the thread: is it possible for someone who did not have exposure to lung transplant during fellowship to do a year of lung transplant fellowship or is it only for fellows already with extensive exposure?

Better question: Why would you commit a year of your life and presumably head down a path towards an academic career in something with almost no exposure?

My fellowship program had a really robust pulm transplant component. Several PCCM folks took jobs doing lung transplant without further sub-sub specialty training.