Pull/CCM as a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted778326

US Allopathic med student here.

Curious if you all did anything directly related to PCC during medical school with research and if you did when is the the best time to start? I am definitely doing IM as I have a service obligation right after residency and from what I hear I am going to be fighting an uphill if I decide to try for a fellowship since it will be some years after finishing my IM residency.

Members don't see this ad.

US Allopathic med student here.

Curious if you all did anything directly related to PCC during medical school with research and if you did when is the the best time to start? I am definitely doing IM as I have a service obligation right after residency and from what I hear I am going to be fighting an uphill if I decide to try for a fellowship since it will be some years after finishing my IM residency.
No I didn't do anything in medical school - the only pulm thing I did was a rotation w the consult team as an elective. While there are some dead set on a particular field going into med school or looking to fast track, I think the majority probably don't do anything academically related to pulm/ccm until residency

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say any and all research is appreciated. If not for publications, it is a great way to work with attendings one on one. I did research related to shock and critical care nutrition.

not necessary. Just rock out in your IM program and do well IN pulm and or ICU months. Tag along with fellows and get involved in the research/didactics and your doing more than enough if you have reasonable score. If you put in the tmie and people know your face thats probably one of the biggest things. Seeing management skills and dealing with personalities tells me more than anything anyone else could write in a letter or vouch for.

I only did a pulmonary consult and MICU rotation as a med student and I still liked the field afterwards.

If you're going to have a gap between finishing IM residency and applying for fellowship you can try to bridge that gap by doing something scholarly such as trying to write abstracts, posters related to your interests in pulmonary.