Publication Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an opportunity to be either first or second author on a publication to be submitted on the research I did this past summer. Obviously, first author would be a ton more work (and I've never submitted a pub before, though I have written a thesis in undergrad). Is it worth it the extra effort?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a whole lot to add, but I'm currently working on my first ever publication (I'm the 1st author) and I just wanted to say that my experience is that it will take a whole lot more time than you think it will. My paper will be very similar to a poster I've presented in the past so most of the info was typed up, but I sent my first draft to my mentor who is the 2nd author on New Years Eve and we still aren't ready to submit it yet. Hopefully soon it will be or I'm afraid it won't be able to go on my CV before residency application time.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I don't have a whole lot to add, but I'm currently working on my first ever publication (I'm the 1st author) and I just wanted to say that my experience is that it will take a whole lot more time than you think it will. My paper will be very similar to a poster I've presented in the past so most of the info was typed up, but I sent my first draft to my mentor who is the 2nd author on New Years Eve and we still aren't ready to submit it yet. Hopefully soon it will be or I'm afraid it won't be able to go on my CV before residency application time.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Thanks Jayna! I've written a thesis before (that was supposed to be published but my PI dropped the ball), but haven't ever submitted anything for publication. I need to basically write the manuscript anyway, but if I were 2nd, my mentor would take care of the publication/editing requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have an opportunity to be either first or second author on a publication to be submitted on the research I did this past summer. Obviously, first author would be a ton more work (and I've never submitted a pub before, though I have written a thesis in undergrad). Is it worth it the extra effort?

I am first author on a paper, from start of project to publication it took about 4.5yrs. Writing the paper was very time intensive because it did not just involve writing but reading tons of other papers for references, and to be able to develop a frame for the paper. In addition, I had to spend a lot of my time teaching myself advance biostats to know which statistical tests to run , why to run that test, and how to run them and so I could sound coherent and educated when writing about them in materials/methods. It was a long process, but it sure taught me A LOT, and its always nice to look back on and know that there is a paper that says My Name et al., instead of being the et al. =)

If you have any questions you can always PM me.

I am first author on a paper, from start of project to publication it took about 4.5yrs. Writing the paper was very time intensive because it did not just involve writing but reading tons of other papers for references, and to be able to develop a frame for the paper. In addition, I had to spend a lot of my time teaching myself advance biostats to know which statistical tests to run , why to run that test, and how to run them and so I could sound coherent and educated when writing about them in materials/methods. It was a long process, but it sure taught me A LOT, and its always nice to look back on and know that there is a paper that says My Name et al., instead of being the et al. =)

If you have any questions you can always PM me.
Oh wow! We have someone doing our stats for us (prelims are done), so that will certainly help. My mentor has had a summer research student the past three years. Her first student's paper (so from 2011) is going to be published in JAVMA next month. Definitely a lot to think about :)

Oh wow! We have someone doing our stats for us (prelims are done), so that will certainly help. My mentor has had a summer research student the past three years. Her first student's paper (so from 2011) is going to be published in JAVMA next month. Definitely a lot to think about :)

Oh wow! Having someone do your stats for you is awesome! There are so many tests, and I don't know how 1 individual could be proficient in it if its not their sole profession. Getting published is really exciting, so congrats to that student and to you for which ever way to choose. First/second author, published is still published!

Generally speaking, the first author of an academic pub is recognized as the 'work horse' of the study. Although there may be several contributors (first, second, third, etc. authors), the first author analyzed the data and synthesized its message into a coherent document worthy of dissemination to the scientific community. First authored pubs always carry more weight with respect to prestige. If you are a secondary author, you are recognized solely as a contributor, not the driving force behind the research.

Agreeing with what everyone has said so far, but a big part is why you're asking and what you want to do with this paper.

Are you going into lab animal medicine and would need first authorship to eventually be board certified? Then yes, put in the extra effort and go for first author!

If not going into research or academia or LAM, then how exactly will being first author impact your future? It might only serve to cause a bunch of extra stress and hassle in your life right now.

Just my 2 cents.