public health dentistry and jobs in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanhi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all. I hv completed BDS from INDIA. Now pursuing MDS in PUBLIC HEALTH DENTISTRY.
I wish to settle in US after completing post graduation. Can any one of you guide me what course after PCD can help me establish there? i am willing to join as a LECTURER rather than PRACTITIONER.All suggestions are welcome and i ll appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure what you're interested in doing -- do you want to work in academics (like teaching public health at a university), or public health practice (like with the US CDC, WHO, public health departments etc)? A masters degree would be a great way to get acquainted with public health (such as an MPH degree). I would also strongly consider masters degrees at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Lots of excellent courses on global health that you may find useful.

@Solara. thank you for answering back. Yes,academics , i want to teach. but if i get a chance public health practice wont be a bad option. can you please brief me up about public health practice? can it be done without DDS?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be a graduate of a dental school from either the United States or Canada in order to be eligible to receive a dental license. Foreign trained dentists enroll in dental schools, often for the 3rd and 4th years of training (clinical component).
http://www.ada.org/en/education-careers/licensure/state-dental-licensure-for-us-dentists
http://www.ada.org/en/education-careers/dental-student-resources/international-dental-students

As far as academia is concerned, most professors (if not all) have a research interest that they are pursuing as they teach. I've never heard of just lecturers teaching courses to graduate students in public health. Starting a masters degree is a start, but that's a long way away from the level of sophistication necessary to develop and pursue quality research expected of professors.

If moving to the United States is the ultimate goal, study for the NBDE Part I and try to get accepted to an American dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
@Solara. thank you for answering back. Yes,academics , i want to teach. but if i get a chance public health practice wont be a bad option. can you please brief me up about public health practice? can it be done without DDS?
If you want to teach at a university setting, then you'll want to strongly consider a PhD.

Certainly anyone can work in public health practice (people with bachelors, masters, doctorates, medical doctors, dentists, etc), but if you want to be more competitive or get a position you really want, a doctorate type degree certainly helps. What really matters is your experience (like who you've worked with and where you've worked), rather than your degrees (this is still important)

thanx a lot. that was really helpful.

wouls mds in public health(india) be useful to be as a researcher or a research assistant jobs in US?

Without any research training, there's fewer opportunities in a research environment.
2.gif

You need to be a graduate of a dental school from either the United States or Canada in order to be eligible to receive a dental license. Foreign trained dentists enroll in dental schools, often for the 3rd and 4th years of training (clinical component).
State Licensure for US Dentist
International Dental Students

As far as academia is concerned, most professors (if not all) have a research interest that they are pursuing as they teach. I've never heard of just lecturers teaching courses to graduate students in public health. Starting a masters degree is a start, but that's a long way away from the level of sophistication necessary to develop and pursue quality research expected of professors.

If moving to the United States is the ultimate goal, study for the NBDE Part I and try to get accepted to an American dental school.
Hi. Iam about to finish my post graduation i.e MDS in public health dentistry from India. and I wish to practice public health in the US. As my speciality goes, I already have public health and dental public health as my core subjects. But as far as i know it is not recognized in the US. so, my question to you is, is doing MPH the only way to practice public health? If yes, are there any universities which might consider my 3years specialized post graduate degree from India and allow me to reduce the duration of the course or something like that?
awaiting your response. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
wouls mds in public health(india) be useful to be as a researcher or a research assistant jobs in US?
Hi ..I am also a foreign trained dentist interested in dph.I am just curious what course you have joined..any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you're interested in doing -- do you want to work in academics (like teaching public health at a university), or public health practice (like with the US CDC, WHO, public health departments etc)? A masters degree would be a great way to get acquainted with public health (such as an MPH degree). I would also strongly consider masters degrees at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Lots of excellent courses on global health that you may find useful.

Hi Solara,
I am a loss interested in dph but I guess not many universities in US or Canada provide that with out mph .does anyone know of some one who has completed their mph and dph and are in working or teaching in the field?

Apart from pursuing mph is there any scope to work in research with just the mds degree. Please let me know.