Public Health Apprentice Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2bDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a quick question.. Has anyone heard of the Public Health Apprentice Program? Known anyone who has applied for it? Or participated in the program. I know there is info on the website but I wanted to get more information about the program if possible..

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be intrusive but have you heard anything back from them? Or do you know anyone who has done the program before? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, I posted the same question before I found this current thread.

I don't know anyone who has ever applied or participated in the program. I think this is only the third year so it hasn't been around long. I applied to the program but have not heard back. They are supposed to be starting interviews next week so I'm wondering if I made the cut. I don't have a lot of confidence as I heard about it right before the deadline and my application was hastily put together.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I applied last year after meeting someone who was in the program. What would you like to know about it?

I applied last year after meeting someone who was in the program. What would you like to know about it?
How did the person feel about the program? I have talked to some people in the EID fellowship and they have mixed reviews about how much the fellowship has taught them and what they have learned. It almost sounded as if the biggest advantage was something to put on your resume. I'm curious to know how an apprentice feels about the PHAP.

Have you heard anything regarding an interview yet?

How did the person feel about the program? I have talked to some people in the EID fellowship and they have mixed reviews about how much the fellowship has taught them and what they have learned. It almost sounded as if the biggest advantage was something to put on your resume. I'm curious to know how an apprentice feels about the PHAP.

Have you heard anything regarding an interview yet?

She really enjoyed the program. From what she said, the majority of applicants are recent MPH graduates and looking to gain experience in the public health sector. The experience you gain from the program is pretty valuable and does look great on your resume. Aside from being a resume builder, you also do learn a lot as training classes/workshops at the CDC are part of the program.

As for the interviews, if you made it to the first stage, they'll call you to setup a time for the phone interview. Otherwise, they'll send you a letter (thanking you for applying and such).

That's a surprise because from what I read about it, they wanted to gear it towards recent Bs grads. I thought I'd be a little overqualified with a Ms in Microbiology so I down played my graduate experience. Oops!

Yeah the program is for recent BA/BS graduates and masters students can apply but the preference is for undegrads. I emailed them about the status of my application and they said that people should not hear for 2 to 3 weeks since an unexpected number of students applied (1300).

For people in the know...

1) This is ostensibly to prepare people for entry-level CDC positions. I personally hope to head off to a PhD program before too long. Should I keep the information to myself during the interview that, in the long run, I consider myself an academic? (Or at least hope to become one anyway!) Any thoughts on the matter?

2) Seriously, *most* people have MPHs?

3) Any guesses on # of people for first round interviews?

Thanks and good luck!

1) You should answer truthfully.
2) I think that most of the people in the pilot programs were MPHs, but the 2010 PHAP program is geared towards people with BS/BAs.