PT Vs. Nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casswoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 30 year old mom of two, almost three, little ones at a fork in the road for my career and would love to get some perspective from experienced PTs to help with my decision. A bit about me and how I got to where I am now - I got my BS in Psych, have worked in Psychological and Psychiatric research for about 5 years. After my first two babies I started a business as a certified birth doula and certified personal trainer teaching mother/baby fitness classes. After a couple of years I closed my business to go back to school and became a part-time physical therapy technician. Right now I am staying home with my kids but plan on going back to school as soon as I am able- just need to know which classes to take depending on the program I decide on.

I am deciding between physical therapy and nursing. For PT it would take me about 5-6 years to get the DPT with remaining pre-reqs, taking the GRE, the application process, and the 3 year program. I love the health education aspect of PT, learning body work and getting to empower patients to heal their bodies without drugs and surgery whenever possible, however I do worry about getting burnt out/bored after some time in the field because I do have a lot of interests and although you can change settings with PT, I have heard that it can be challenging to do some specialties (like women's health).

For nursing I am almost done with the pre-reqs so could be able to complete the remaining pre-reqs and either an ASN or BSN in 3 years (both programs where I live are about 2 years and there is not an accelerated BSN available). With nursing I love the idea of supporting and caring for patients during very vulnerable times in their lives and having the flexibility to change specialties as my interests change over the years. Currently I am very interested in women's health and would love to do L&D or mother/baby but am also open to what I would experience during clinicals in nursing school. I also like the option that I could eventually go on to get my APRN or stay as a RN if I find that I love that role. Some of my concerns with nursing include the long shifts, working weekends, holidays or night shift, being disrespected and unappreciated, and getting over a mild case of vasovagal syncope.

I have shadowed a midwife, occupational therapists, and physical therapists and have realized that I would probably feel satisfied with nursing or PT since my passions are helping people and health education. I am hoping that those of you who have been in the PT world for awhile can provide some insight as I work through this decision. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you looked into women's health PT at all? That field may also be right up your alley. You can certainly try to shadow someone, it's a high need area. Also, your personal training experience would be an excellent supplement to PT school...it really helps me with program design.

Downsides to PT...the cost of education is high versus the salary. I would do a financial comparison looking at school costs and salaries in both fields. Make sure to toss in the APRN aspect too. With the DPT at least you know you are "done" with the highest level of education traditionally.

Also, consider the online/flexible options for both fields. When I was looking at going back to school, there was an online DNP program that interested me...there are many options in nursing. In PT, we FINALLY have a distance option and a few schools with hybrid options. If I could have done it again, I wish I could have done a flex route with kids at home.

Thank you for your response! One of the PTs that I worked with at the clinic is a women's health PT so yes it is definitely on my radar and an interest of mine if that is the path that I follow. I did notice, however, that getting a client base for women's health is somewhat challenging. I have also looked at the cost vs. salary differences and it is HUGE. It would cost me about $2000 + books just to finish up all the pre-reqs and take the GRE for PT school, then the program I want to go to would be about $70,000. The median salary for PTs where I live is $76,000. For nursing I could get my ASN for about $5000 then get my BSN online while working as a RN (most employers will pay for the online BSN programs). The median salary for RNs where I live is $64,000. At this point in my life the nursing route seems the most practical because my family really could use the income sooner rather than later, I guess I'm still just hanging on to PT because I do love so much about it and worry that I will regret my decision later down the road and know that whatever degree I get next will probably be it since I'm not getting any younger!

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I disagree that getting a client base for women's health is challenging (this may depend on area...the last place i lived had a lot of practitioners but the need was still high...current place has no one and need is very high), I think you are smart to analyze the cost/salary overall. I'm a non trad like you, did the school thing with kids. I was able to go back to school without taking loans...otherwise, I would have not chosen the PT route. I agree that nursing has some more options to cover tuition or work part time. (or there was an accelerated program where I lived).

I like that you can even work as a CNA while getting your ASN (like I said, I looked into it briefly, it just wasn't the best fit for me).

It is so hopeful to hear of others being able to complete intense programs after having kids. Thank you so much for sharing all of your experience! It is good to know that if I do decide on PT that the Women's Health is a specialty that can be high in demand, I had heard otherwise for some places so felt a little discouraged. I honestly wish that PT school was not so expensive because I do feel that it is not a realistic expense that I can afford now that I have a family.

Well, your debt to income ratio will be better than mine was when I first got out of school, but I didn't have kids when I graduated, so my expenses were less. It took me about 12 years to pay off my school debt. So, If you really love PT and are luke-warm on nursing, I think it is an option, and one that won't crush you financially.

I am a 30 year old mom of two, almost three, little ones at a fork in the road for my career and would love to get some perspective from experienced PTs to help with my decision. A bit about me and how I got to where I am now - I got my BS in Psych, have worked in Psychological and Psychiatric research for about 5 years. After my first two babies I started a business as a certified birth doula and certified personal trainer teaching mother/baby fitness classes. After a couple of years I closed my business to go back to school and became a part-time physical therapy technician. Right now I am staying home with my kids but plan on going back to school as soon as I am able- just need to know which classes to take depending on the program I decide on.

I am deciding between physical therapy and nursing. For PT it would take me about 5-6 years to get the DPT with remaining pre-reqs, taking the GRE, the application process, and the 3 year program. I love the health education aspect of PT, learning body work and getting to empower patients to heal their bodies without drugs and surgery whenever possible, however I do worry about getting burnt out/bored after some time in the field because I do have a lot of interests and although you can change settings with PT, I have heard that it can be challenging to do some specialties (like women's health).

For nursing I am almost done with the pre-reqs so could be able to complete the remaining pre-reqs and either an ASN or BSN in 3 years (both programs where I live are about 2 years and there is not an accelerated BSN available). With nursing I love the idea of supporting and caring for patients during very vulnerable times in their lives and having the flexibility to change specialties as my interests change over the years. Currently I am very interested in women's health and would love to do L&D or mother/baby but am also open to what I would experience during clinicals in nursing school. I also like the option that I could eventually go on to get my APRN or stay as a RN if I find that I love that role. Some of my concerns with nursing include the long shifts, working weekends, holidays or night shift, being disrespected and unappreciated, and getting over a mild case of vasovagal syncope.

I have shadowed a midwife, occupational therapists, and physical therapists and have realized that I would probably feel satisfied with nursing or PT since my passions are helping people and health education. I am hoping that those of you who have been in the PT world for awhile can provide some insight as I work through this decision. Thank you all!

I am a nurse who worked in CVICU and am now the Dean of Nursing. Some history on nursing you should consider. Even in nursing school today nurses are taught all about respiratory therapy, and in CVICU we did not use RT's as nurses were educated on vent settings, weaning protocols and extubation. Same for all of the other therapies, in nursing school we learn about PT, passive and active range of motion and gait strengthening, we know Occupational therapy and work with patients all day putting food and helping them with with special modified tools. We also have been taught ST, and working with thick it and helping patients avoid frustrations by white boards to write. Nurses can do everything other allied health positions can do. In fact, nurses are the ones that said we needed assistance which formed the therapy groups. You never hear about a PT, OT, ST or RT shortage. The letters after my name of RN has let me work in CVICU and take care of patients waiting for a new heart and ones that just received a new heart. I then worked at a consulting company that advised hospitals on what equipment to purchase to upgrade patient monitors etc. I did home health for flexibility while I was working on my masters degree. Started as a Professor of Nursing, and within 5 years became an Academic Dean. I am almost complete with my doctoral degree. I will retire in 10 years and will receive a pension or retirement check for the rest of my life. This is unheard of anymore. I can teach in DNP courses from anywhere in the world, and make $10,000 teaching one class, and will allow for extra play and travel money. Nurses have the good fortune to never get burned out. We work in so many areas, hospital, home health, insurance companies (can work at home), academia. With RN after your name, you can work in any environment you wish. Please believe me I am not trying to degrade the other therapies, they are very important and in the hospital they come in for 30 to 30 minutes. Nurses are there for 12 hours to and we actually are the ones to teach and use the Incentive Spirometer correctly, we take patient for walks every hour, we are simply there with the patient more than any other profession. Nurses have topped the list of the most trusted profession every year but one since Gallup first asked about them in 1999. In 2001, Gallup included firefighters on their list based on their heroic efforts in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 90% of the public rated their honesty and ethical standards as "high" or "very high." Otherwise it is nurses that the public trust the most, with no mention of any PT, RT, OT, ST. I am posting the survey here, was surprised to see some of the responses.
Story Highlights
  • Nurses rated highest among professions for 15th straight year
  • College teachers' ratings dropped
  • 41% say journalists' standards are "low" or "very low"
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Most Americans trust their healthcare providers to be honest and ethical, but few other professions fare so well in Gallup's annual look at honesty and ethical standards among various fields. Nurses top the list with 84% of the public rating their standards as "high" or "very high," while members of Congress fall to the bottom -- the only profession for which a majority of Americans (59%) rate honesty and ethical standards as "low" or "very low."

Americans' Ratings of Honesty and Ethical Standards in Professions
Please tell me how you would rate the honesty and ethical standards of people in these different fields -- very high, high, average, low or very low?

Very high/High
Very low/Low Average
%
% %
Nurses
84 3 13
Pharmacists 67 8 26
Medical doctors 65 7 29
Engineers 65 5 29
Dentists 59 7 34
Police officers 58 13 29
College teachers 47 18 32
Clergy 44 13 39
Chiropractors 38 13 45
Psychiatrists 38 12 45
Bankers 24 30 46
Journalists 23 41 34
Lawyers 18 37 45
State governors 18 35 45
Business executives 17 32 50
HMO managers 12 31 48
Senators 12 50 37
Stockbrokers 12 39 46
Advertising practitioners 11 40 46
Insurance salespeople 11 38 51
Car salespeople 9 46 45
Members of Congress 8 59 31

I am a nurse who worked in CVICU and am now the Dean of Nursing. Some history on nursing you should consider. Even in nursing school today nurses are taught all about respiratory therapy, and in CVICU we did not use RT's as nurses were educated on vent settings, weaning protocols and extubation. Same for all of the other therapies, in nursing school we learn about PT, passive and active range of motion and gait strengthening, we know Occupational therapy and work with patients all day putting food and helping them with with special modified tools. We also have been taught ST, and working with thick it and helping patients avoid frustrations by white boards to write. Nurses can do everything other allied health positions can do. In fact, nurses are the ones that said we needed assistance which formed the therapy groups. You never hear about a PT, OT, ST or RT shortage. The letters after my name of RN has let me work in CVICU and take care of patients waiting for a new heart and ones that just received a new heart. I then worked at a consulting company that advised hospitals on what equipment to purchase to upgrade patient monitors etc. I did home health for flexibility while I was working on my masters degree. Started as a Professor of Nursing, and within 5 years became an Academic Dean. I am almost complete with my doctoral degree. I will retire in 10 years and will receive a pension or retirement check for the rest of my life. This is unheard of anymore. I can teach in DNP courses from anywhere in the world, and make $10,000 teaching one class, and will allow for extra play and travel money. Nurses have the good fortune to never get burned out. We work in so many areas, hospital, home health, insurance companies (can work at home), academia, and pharmaceutical and medical equipment sales to mention a few. With RN after your name, you can work in any environment you wish. Please believe me I am not trying to degrade the other therapies, they are very important and in the hospital they come in for 30 to 30 minutes. Nurses are there for 12 hours to and we actually are the ones to teach and use the Incentive Spirometer correctly, we take patient for walks every hour, we are simply there with the patient more than any other profession. Nurses have topped the list of the most trusted profession every year but one since Gallup first asked about them in 1999. In 2001, Gallup included firefighters on their list based on their heroic efforts in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 90% of the public rated their honesty and ethical standards as "high" or "very high." Otherwise it is nurses that the public trust the most, with no mention of any PT, RT, OT, ST. I am posting the survey here, was surprised to see some of the responses. I hope no one takes my post, I am proud of my profession and am just bragging about the nursing profession!!
Story Highlights
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Most Americans trust their healthcare providers to be honest and ethical, but few other professions fare so well in Gallup's annual look at honesty and ethical standards among various fields. Nurses top the list with 84% of the public rating their standards as "high" or "very high," while members of Congress fall to the bottom -- the only profession for which a majority of Americans (59%) rate honesty and ethical standards as "low" or "very low."

Please tell me how you would rate the honesty and ethical standards of people in these different fields -- very high, high, average, low or very low?

Very high/High Very low/Low Average

Nurses
84% 3% 13%
Pharmacists 67 % 8% 26%
Medical doctors 65% 7% 29%
Engineers 65% 5% 29%
Dentists 59% 7 % 34%
Police officers 58% 13% 29%
Clergy 44% 13% 39%
Chiropractors 38% 13% 45%
Psychiatrists 38% 12% 45%
Bankers 24% 30% 46%
Journalists 23% 41% 34%
Lawyers 18% 37% 45%
State governors 18% 35% 45%
Business executives 17% 32% 50%
HMO managers 12% 31% 48%
Senators 12% 50% 37%
Stockbrokers 12% 39% 46%
Advertising practitioners 11% 40% 46%
Insurance salespeople 11% 38% 51%
Car salespeople 9% 46% 45%
Members of Congress 8% 59% 31%

I agree with some of your points, i.e., vent settings, etc. Even PT's are educated with vent settings. An RN's background can be what you make it; it can be very diverse.

However, I think you're over inflating the depths of clinical knowledge of an RN within these specialities. Like other allied health professionals, you're most likely just ignorant of our education and scope. Two of my former classmates that were academically disqualified in their first year of PT school became academically successful RNs. Also, I don't know where you have been looking but where I am, our shortage of PT's also led to contracting travelers regularly. You probably only hear of what you actively participate in and I doubt you have looked into PT/OT/ST/RT staffing. I have never heard of an RN involved in therapy staffing needs. Or have you?

Observing what we do rarely translate to the clinical reasoning behind it. I can attest to this as I work with RN's daily in the ortho/med-tele/ICU/ER departments. I seldom see an RN ambulate patients these days (which is a treatment choice, not the inclusive practice of PT). They are over reliant on CNA's for just about anything not Rx related and even that is always late. I have updated the names of RN's on patient boards because they have not even bothered to check on some patients outside of shift change. I regularly find my patients soiled and help the CNA clean them. I answer patient questions because "my nurse has not been in all day". I'd also wager that our 30-45 min x1-2/ day is on par or surpasses some RN 12-hr shifts. Why? Quality 1:1 vs, "how's your pain, take these". I called RRT to patient X while Joe RN ran to get new tabs for the "artifacts" on tele. I educate seasoned RN's on the proper use of Min, Mod, Max A. Our RN's barely know PROM, let alone the joint mechanics behind the motion or the differences between capsular vs tissue length restrictions, etc., or how to perform AA to the patient's benefit. Outside of the ICU or ER, the NIHSS becomes a unicorn and don't get me started on what I've seen with movement disorders. I don't doubt RN's participate in therapies, but like how I participate in patient nursing, we are by far illiterate in each others' fields. I had to teach an RN how to properly monitor and teach IS use today. Aside from CWOCN or derivatives, I've cleaned and redressed improperly dressed wounds on patients.

I respect RN's as I see them working hard every day, but you're way over-inflating your knowledge base and capabilities within these therapy professions.

What nursing school are you dean of if I may ask?

Reactions: 1 users
As someone outside of the box (not "yet" working in healthcare), a patient and a client of both during my childbearing stages of life, I think both PTs and RNs are equally respected and have made huge impact on my wellbeing at vulnerable times. PTs with specific focus like women's health may have more opportunities and higher earning potential if they open private practice I think but a lot of your time will have to go into marketing your business. I'm not sure all hospitals look to hire PT with women's health focus. Meanwhile, RNs would be welcomed to just about anywhere (you can work in L&D and NICU if maternal and child health is your passion) and you can secure somewhat guaranteed stable income as an employee in big institutions albeit lower ceiling than PTs that are interested in opening their own business <-- pls correct me if I am wrong, this is only according to my observation as someone in the demand side of the market.

Have you looked into becoming a CNM - Certified Nurse Midwife, OP?

Last edited:
I am a nurse who worked in CVICU and am now the Dean of Nursing. Some history on nursing you should consider. Even in nursing school today nurses are taught all about respiratory therapy, and in CVICU we did not use RT's as nurses were educated on vent settings, weaning protocols and extubation. Same for all of the other therapies, in nursing school we learn about PT, passive and active range of motion and gait strengthening, we know Occupational therapy and work with patients all day putting food and helping them with with special modified tools. We also have been taught ST, and working with thick it and helping patients avoid frustrations by white boards to write. Nurses can do everything other allied health positions can do. In fact, nurses are the ones that said we needed assistance which formed the therapy groups. You never hear about a PT, OT, ST or RT shortage. The letters after my name of RN has let me work in CVICU and take care of patients waiting for a new heart and ones that just received a new heart. I then worked at a consulting company that advised hospitals on what equipment to purchase to upgrade patient monitors etc. I did home health for flexibility while I was working on my masters degree. Started as a Professor of Nursing, and within 5 years became an Academic Dean. I am almost complete with my doctoral degree. I will retire in 10 years and will receive a pension or retirement check for the rest of my life. This is unheard of anymore. I can teach in DNP courses from anywhere in the world, and make $10,000 teaching one class, and will allow for extra play and travel money. Nurses have the good fortune to never get burned out. We work in so many areas, hospital, home health, insurance companies (can work at home), academia, and pharmaceutical and medical equipment sales to mention a few. With RN after your name, you can work in any environment you wish. Please believe me I am not trying to degrade the other therapies, they are very important and in the hospital they come in for 30 to 30 minutes. Nurses are there for 12 hours to and we actually are the ones to teach and use the Incentive Spirometer correctly, we take patient for walks every hour, we are simply there with the patient more than any other profession. Nurses have topped the list of the most trusted profession every year but one since Gallup first asked about them in 1999. In 2001, Gallup included firefighters on their list based on their heroic efforts in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 90% of the public rated their honesty and ethical standards as "high" or "very high." Otherwise it is nurses that the public trust the most, with no mention of any PT, RT, OT, ST. I am posting the survey here, was surprised to see some of the responses. I hope no one takes my post, I am proud of my profession and am just bragging about the nursing profession!!
Story Highlights

Very high/High Very low/Low Average

Nurses
84% 3% 13%
Pharmacists 67 % 8% 26%
Medical doctors 65% 7% 29%
Engineers 65% 5% 29%
Dentists 59% 7 % 34%
Police officers 58% 13% 29%
Clergy 44% 13% 39%
Chiropractors 38% 13% 45%
Psychiatrists 38% 12% 45%
Bankers 24% 30% 46%
Journalists 23% 41% 34%
Lawyers 18% 37% 45%
State governors 18% 35% 45%
Business executives 17% 32% 50%
HMO managers 12% 31% 48%
Senators 12% 50% 37%
Stockbrokers 12% 39% 46%
Advertising practitioners 11% 40% 46%
Insurance salespeople 11% 38% 51%
Car salespeople 9% 46% 45%
Members of Congress 8% 59% 31%
I have to disagree! Yes, nurses BRIEFLY go over respirstory, but a nurse CANNOT work the vent as an RT. I'm currently an RT with both Associate & Bachelors degrees. Of course they teach other professions briefly on vent settings, but most nurses know nothing about the actual vent & how to operate it. This is the exact reason why RT & other professions are looked down upon because nurses sometimes feel superior & THINK they can do the job of another discipline. While nurses have a brief respiratory course, we spend 2-4 years specializing the field. Yes, the Nursing field is endless, nit there IS burnout, there ARE other healthcare professions that make decent money, & every discipline is needed for the patient. Also, I've actually watched an RN of over 25 years instruct a patient on the incentive spirometer & I was truly shocked at how completely wrong she was. Maybe I am confused on what you're actually trying to say, but I found it quite offensive

I am a nurse who worked in CVICU and am now the Dean of Nursing. Some history on nursing you should consider. Even in nursing school today nurses are taught all about respiratory therapy, and in CVICU we did not use RT's as nurses were educated on vent settings, weaning protocols and extubation. Same for all of the other therapies, in nursing school we learn about PT, passive and active range of motion and gait strengthening, we know Occupational therapy and work with patients all day putting food and helping them with with special modified tools. We also have been taught ST, and working with thick it and helping patients avoid frustrations by white boards to write. Nurses can do everything other allied health positions can do. In fact, nurses are the ones that said we needed assistance which formed the therapy groups. You never hear about a PT, OT, ST or RT shortage. The letters after my name of RN has let me work in CVICU and take care of patients waiting for a new heart and ones that just received a new heart. I then worked at a consulting company that advised hospitals on what equipment to purchase to upgrade patient monitors etc. I did home health for flexibility while I was working on my masters degree. Started as a Professor of Nursing, and within 5 years became an Academic Dean. I am almost complete with my doctoral degree. I will retire in 10 years and will receive a pension or retirement check for the rest of my life. This is unheard of anymore. I can teach in DNP courses from anywhere in the world, and make $10,000 teaching one class, and will allow for extra play and travel money. Nurses have the good fortune to never get burned out. We work in so many areas, hospital, home health, insurance companies (can work at home), academia. With RN after your name, you can work in any environment you wish. Please believe me I am not trying to degrade the other therapies, they are very important and in the hospital they come in for 30 to 30 minutes. Nurses are there for 12 hours to and we actually are the ones to teach and use the Incentive Spirometer correctly, we take patient for walks every hour, we are simply there with the patient more than any other profession. Nurses have topped the list of the most trusted profession every year but one since Gallup first asked about them in 1999. In 2001, Gallup included firefighters on their list based on their heroic efforts in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 90% of the public rated their honesty and ethical standards as "high" or "very high." Otherwise it is nurses that the public trust the most, with no mention of any PT, RT, OT, ST. I am posting the survey here, was surprised to see some of the responses.
Story Highlights

Very high/High
Very low/Low Average
%
% %
Nurses
84 3 13
Pharmacists 67 8 26
Medical doctors 65 7 29
Engineers 65 5 29
Dentists 59 7 34
Police officers 58 13 29
College teachers 47 18 32
Clergy 44 13 39
Chiropractors 38 13 45
Psychiatrists 38 12 45
Bankers 24 30 46
Journalists 23 41 34
Lawyers 18 37 45
State governors 18 35 45
Business executives 17 32 50
HMO managers 12 31 48
Senators 12 50 37
Stockbrokers 12 39 46
Advertising practitioners 11 40 46
Insurance salespeople 11 38 51
Car salespeople 9 46 45
Members of Congress 8 59 31

If nursing is capable of everything a PT/OT can do then why are they always calling us to transfer patients or come in for a stat eval? Why do my patients complain that the nurse made them use a bedpan instead of allowing them to actually go to the bathroom? Why does nursing call us to put splints and braces on? Why are the majority of residual limbs on my amputee patients wrapped incorrectly when I walk in? Why do I walk into a room with a patient who has neglect and see the breakfast tray on the neglect side untouched with nursing documentation stating pt wouldn’t eat?

I totally respect the field of nursing and know some really awesome nurses. I work well with many nurses on my unit and we help each other out like a team should. But with all professions everyone is different and it doesn’t always work so well. But please don’t say nurses can do everything we can do. I’d like to see a nurse begin gait training with someone who is a severe pusher.

As far as the OPs questions I would recommend nursing over PT.