PsyD to MSW/LCSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmart94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.... Where do I begin. This past May I received my BS with a major in psychology and minor in sociology. I played soccer, did multiple internships, was a part of an honor society, a co-ed fraternity, and ended up graduating with a 3.9 GPA (Summa Cum Laude Honor). During undergrad I was convinced I wanted to become a clinical psychologist. I was set on it. I applied to two schools for my PsyD. without much thought in regards to cost and other things pertaining to it. I accepted an offer to one of the schools and went the first day.... I decided instantly it wasn't for me. The amount of money, the fact that if I drop out and won't even be given a masters degree, and the idea of not obtaining an APA internship all BLOW my mind. Yes, I don't have any money to owe form undergrad.... however, 160K to 170K is still a lot of money to be owing! And psychologists don't even make great money to start off! If I want to get married, have children, and do so many other things in life I think that that having this sort of debt hanging over my head is really a terrible terrible TERRIBLE thing.
So.. now I am interested in an MSW track and eventually getting my LCSW. Is there anyone out there with information in regards to this field and the payoff of pursing it. I know that LCSW's can do many things in regards to psychotherapy and all of that. They can actually do many similar things to clinical psychologists.... I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH. Is anyone an LCSW that can tell me more about the field? The pay doesn't seem bad (looking at Chicago area). Has anyone been in the same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have any specific question, fell free to ask. I'd say right off the bat that it may be a bit of a culture shock for you coming to clinical social work so just be sure you know what you're in for before jumping in - as you already know, this can sometimes be a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the Chicago area and about to sit for my LCSW and I have my BSW and MSW. If you feel you have questions that I may be able to answer, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to try to make you second guess your decision, but it seems you might have been a little short-sighted in the application process when you initially planned to pursue clinical psych. There are many funded programs (mostly PhD but also some PsyD programs; generally they are much more competitive to get into than non-funded psyd programs). I know people who have attended those programs, managed a budget well (that generally included living with a housemate to split costs and going out less than they did in undergrad), and graduated with minimal to no debt. It can be done, and it's not all that uncommon. Also if I'm recalling the recent survey I read correctly, about 1/3 of phd clinical psych students graduate with no school-related debt.

So.... Where do I begin. This past May I received my BS with a major in psychology and minor in sociology. I played soccer, did multiple internships, was a part of an honor society, a co-ed fraternity, and ended up graduating with a 3.9 GPA (Summa Cum Laude Honor). During undergrad I was convinced I wanted to become a clinical psychologist. I was set on it. I applied to two schools for my PsyD. without much thought in regards to cost and other things pertaining to it. I accepted an offer to one of the schools and went the first day.... I decided instantly it wasn't for me. The amount of money, the fact that if I drop out and won't even be given a masters degree, and the idea of not obtaining an APA internship all BLOW my mind. Yes, I don't have any money to owe form undergrad.... however, 160K to 170K is still a lot of money to be owing! And psychologists don't even make great money to start off! If I want to get married, have children, and do so many other things in life I think that that having this sort of debt hanging over my head is really a terrible terrible TERRIBLE thing.
So.. now I am interested in an MSW track and eventually getting my LCSW. Is there anyone out there with information in regards to this field and the payoff of pursing it. I know that LCSW's can do many things in regards to psychotherapy and all of that. They can actually do many similar things to clinical psychologists.... I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH. Is anyone an LCSW that can tell me more about the field? The pay doesn't seem bad (looking at Chicago area). Has anyone been in the same boat as me?

I have done remarkably well as an LCSW. However, I strongly urge you to consider completing a Post Graduate Fellowship as soon as you finish your MSW. After I received my MSW, I went to Harvard University where I completed a two Post Graduate Program in Child Psychotherapy. I have practices in Brentwook and Westwood since 1976.