Psychology related question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it appropriate to group Digit span forward and backward tests together, or do they need to be separated if I am doing a meta-analysis?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, depends.

I got the answer I needed through some review of literature. But I now have a bit more broader question: is it possible to group more diverse tests together such as Digit Span and, say, N-back tasks? I ask because I see in some papers that a Hedges' g test was conducted which allowed for such grouping.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible, but limits generalizability and will muddy the interpretation. These tasks differ fairly greatly as working memory is far from a singular construct as measured by objective testing. Additionally, you will run into fairly significant norming differences depending on how diverse the populations under study are on a variety of demographic variables. So, yes, but there are a TON of caveats.

Reactions: 1 user
It is possible, but limits generalizability and will muddy the interpretation. These tasks differ fairly greatly as working memory is far from a singular construct as measured by objective testing. Additionally, you will run into fairly significant norming differences depending on how diverse the populations under study are on a variety of demographic variables. So, yes, but there are a TON of caveats.

Interesting.

If you could enlighten me, take the following example (not my data, just for teaching purposes):

upload_2016-11-30_16-47-47.png

In my own data set, I now must distinguish between acute vs chronic exercise studies. As such, one of my subgroups which exclusively included N-back tasks as the measurement tool for working memory, now changes from 3 studies down to 1 (the one that is only chronic) which now, I believe, makes this subgroup inappropriate since it is now really just one study. So instead of having several subgroups similar to the image above, I think I may be forced to measure all chronic tests together even though they use different tools to measure WM. Thoughts? I am pretty unsure of what to do. I do not want to remove the meta-analysis from my review, but I do not know what is appropriate to do at this stage.

Tough call, no easy answer, either way you are running into a serious methodological limitation. Depends on what the reviewers say to some extent, as that is the barrier to publication at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough call, no easy answer, either way you are running into a serious methodological limitation. Depends on what the reviewers say to some extent, as that is the barrier to publication at this point.

Thank you for your insight. I am scheduled to have a phone call with my research adviser from my alma mater on Friday. It's tough since I already have graduated, I cannot just go to office hours and am relying on the internet to read about this topic. Also, neither of the 2 reviewer's commented explicitly on removing the meta-analysis. They just cited some concerns. I think, though, what you said is what I am feeling: I need to accept that my study now will suffer from less generalizability and methodological limitations, but hopefully not at the expense of not being published if I address and revise such concerns from the reviewers!