Psychiatry Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a psych intern with a really strong interest in forensics. I have great mentors at my program, but my program is also one of my top choices (which may or may not be the best program in the country), so I am looking for advice on this forum on how to impress these folks (without asking them every little detail of how I can be a great applicant! - I'd like it to at least appear that I can figure some of this stuff out on my own) :)

Anyway, since I'm an intern (and quite busy), I"ve had the opportunity to go to a couple of competency evaluations, and possibly an insanity case coming up - but I want to get involved in research, do something that would be meaningful (ie start a continuity clinic within the correction system for our residents interested in the field, etc.).

I'd like to see what others think about how I can make my mark and be the best applicant possible. Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm a psych intern with a really strong interest in forensics. I have great mentors at my program, but my program is also one of my top choices (which may or may not be the best program in the country), so I am looking for advice on this forum on how to impress these folks (without asking them every little detail of how I can be a great applicant! - I'd like it to at least appear that I can figure some of this stuff out on my own) :)

Anyway, since I'm an intern (and quite busy), I"ve had the opportunity to go to a couple of competency evaluations, and possibly an insanity case coming up - but I want to get involved in research, do something that would be meaningful (ie start a continuity clinic within the correction system for our residents interested in the field, etc.).

I'd like to see what others think about how I can make my mark and be the best applicant possible. Thoughts anyone?

The best way to make yourself desirable to fellowship places is not too different from any other fellowhip in medicine. For forensics in particular, be sure to do a forensic elective when you're able (usually PGY III or IV year), and if possible, inquire about paper-writing opportunities within the forensic department. A perusal of the forensic journal, AAPL, will give you a good idea as to what types of research questions are of interest. They have many papers that are published as sorts of reviews of literature, or metanalyses, that you could do with some help.

Other than this, being a great genearl psych resident is a good way to remain competitive for the forensic fellowship, since they will naturally evaluate your skills as a general resident and extrapolate how you would perform in a forensic fellowship based on past performance. This means good letters, strong PRITE, solid clinical skills, demonstration of a knowledge of the current literature, etc.

Best of luck.

I am just finishing my medical school and very interested in sports. Is there any information about sports psychiatry such as residency programs, fellowships, how well it pays etc.

Hi -- I saw you post that you are doing forensic psychiatry. I'm applying to psych residency in a few months, so here is a quick question for you: which psychiatry residencies do a good job of incorporating forensics into the residency years? In general I'm having a difficult time distinguishing between psychiatry programs based on the information they give on their websites or FRIEDA. Thanks!

So now that Neuropsychiatry fellowship is approved, does this mean a Neuropsychiatrist could potentially see Neuro-only clients if they show up or would insurance or the lack of having done a formal neurology residency stop them?

I see that your location says california. If you think you are at one of the best places in the country...im going to guess UCD with Scott.

Wherever you are, really the best ways are to focus on your passion and work hard. If you see a case that has a strong potential, take it even if it means extra work. Let your attendings, TD and fellow residents know what you want so they can throw certain cases your way. Find a topic that you are interested in and write about it. Do some case reports, try to collaborate on papers, book chapters etc. Get involved in the MIT aspect of the APA. The govt relations committee, Ethics, education committees are all relevant. Be careful to not let this get in the way of your resident duties because you have to be a superior resident. Present at grand rounds every year if you can and present something at the APA, State and local levels.

When you get to the level of moonlighting...go correctional. Jails will often have opportunities.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about eating disorders fellowships? I would like to specialize in that area, but it seems that there is not much info about the topic.

my residency program has one that pays really well for a fellowship. it's only eating disorders and it's at sheppard pratt near baltimore. catch is you cover many weekends. i believe they take one fellow every year. haven't heard of any others in my neck of the woods, though.

Dear dr,

please any one guide me for fellowship in canada, i am Indian psychiatrist with post PG 7 years of experience.

Hello,

I am about to start a psychiatry residency in July, and I am interested to learn about the scope of psychiatry, in terms of their limits in practicing general medicine. Is there any fellowship available that will allow me to see patients in a general medicine setting and treat them using the biopsychosocial approach?

I suppose I am concerned about losing my clinical skills and knowledge in general medicine.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

JCMD

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know this question will probably seem outrageous to many but I have many reservations about treating children with psychiatric meds. I am mostly interested in child psychotherapy and family therapy as an outpatient provider.
Is there any way to practice child psychiatry without treating with medication? Or perhaps only giving it in emergency situations?
Is it worth pursuing a child fellowship given my hesitation?

I would really appreciate your feedback! Let it rip. ...

Also what do you guys know about public psychiatry fellowships? What kind of jobs would this training afford you?

Last edited:
So I know this question will probably seem outrageous to many but I have many reservations about treating children with psychiatric meds. I am mostly interested in child psychotherapy and family therapy as an outpatient provider.
Is there any way to practice child psychiatry without treating with medication? Or perhaps only giving it in emergency situations?
Is it worth pursuing a child fellowship given my hesitation?

I would really appreciate your feedback! Let it rip. ...

Also what do you guys know about public psychiatry fellowships? What kind of jobs would this training afford you?

Of course...You can set up your practice anyway you want. If you're a medical student, I would advise going into a general residency that has a heavy emphasis on psychotherapy. If you end up wanting to do child work, then try to find the same in a fellowship. But I can't imagine any child psychiatry fellowship would allow you not to prescribe medications during your time with them. Also, I recommend that you try to keep open minded about using medications with children until you have more experience in the field. You don't have to do a child fellowship to do therapy. But you have to get training working with children somewhere. I suppose you could enter a psychodynamic fellowship for children to get the therapy training.

What about non-board certified Psychiatry subspecialty fellowships? DO you guys know where i can find that information?

All the fellowships should be listed with the ACGME. Last I remember, they listed the fellowships as accredited vs non-accredited.

But the secrety beauty about fellowships is this (only if you promise not to share with anyone) -

They're all open and many go unfilled each year. Just take your pick. Shh..!

One would think the American Association of Community Psychiatrists would have a list on their website, but they don't, or else it's not easy to find.

Columbia, Pitt, Case Western, Emory have programs that I know of. I'm sure there are others. Here at UTSW we are starting one at the request of the residents. It seems to becoming more popular...
To add to that list, Yale University offers public/community psychiatry fellowships. My good friend graduated out of that program over a year ago, and his focus was community psychiatry serving the Hispanic community. It appears the stated of CT is getting very involved in getting speciality outpatient psychiatry clinics up, including services with a cross-cultural psychiatry component.

Although this is too far to think but I'm really curious about what happens next to someone having done residency and then research fellowship on J1 visa? Yes, the waiver jobs. Has any university ever provided a research oriented job as a J1 waiver? Other options include joining a research position at home country or being involved in clinical care in the under-served areas in the US or just trying for the H1 visa for residency.

How do those international graduates interested in research career in psychiatry proceed?

Last edited:
please note that many/most research fellowships are not open to foreigners, and will not accept people on visas. most research fellowships are T32 NIMH funded- you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

You can however apply for MIRECC fellowships through the VA as a foreigner on a J1.

In general you should aim to get a H1 visa as it is fairly impractical to forge a research career with a J1 (given you will have to do a waiver job where you can do no research for several years). However H1 visas make it no easier to get research fellowships (which are all uncompetitve anyway). Your best bet is to marry an american. there are always nurses who are happy to oblige. no of course you cant do research as a waiver job, the whole point is to provide clinical care to an underserved population.

Reactions: 1 users
please note that many/most research fellowships are not open to foreigners, and will not accept people on visas. most research fellowships are T32 NIMH funded- you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

You can however apply for MIRECC fellowships through the VA as a foreigner on a J1.

In general you should aim to get a H1 visa as it is fairly impractical to forge a research career with a J1 (given you will have to do a waiver job where you can do no research for several years). However H1 visas make it no easier to get research fellowships (which are all uncompetitve anyway). Your best bet is to marry an american. there are always nurses who are happy to oblige. no of course you cant do research as a waiver job, the whole point is to provide clinical care to an underserved population.

I would say that there are some fellowships that take foreigners other than MIRECC fellowships, some of my colleagues are currently doing these and do not yet have green cards.

It is absolutely not true that a J1 will prevent you from having a research career (not suggesting you were saying that exactly, but I have heard people say things like that before). You will of course face some barriers and limitations. But there are academic centers which encompass under served clinical sites, which will allow you to fulfill your waiver requirements and continue to do some research (well, clinical and services research any way). I know people doing exactly this.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it might be worth mentioning the newly-developing fellowships in brain stimulation/interventional psychiatry. Most of these are research-based, but there are well-developed clinical programs at MUSC, Penn, and Florida that will teach you the different clinical aspects of TMS, tDCS, DBS, VNS, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it might be worth mentioning the newly-developing fellowships in brain stimulation/interventional psychiatry. Most of these are research-based, but there are well-developed clinical programs at MUSC, Penn, and Florida that will teach you the different clinical aspects of TMS, tDCS, DBS, VNS, etc.

I'm really interested in the field of interventional psychiatry. Is there a plan to really expand this field with more fellowships and such?

I'm really interested in the field of interventional psychiatry. Is there a plan to really expand this field with more fellowships and such?

Yes. It's a rapidly developing field with new fellowships and new clinics regularly popping up.

I understand you can do fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psych, Psychosomatic medicine, Forensic Psych, Geriatric Psych and Addiction Psych, but what about brain injury medicine, pain medicine, and sleep medicine? Are they subspecialties/fellowships of Psychiatry?
I am a little bit confused.

Thanks for your reply. Can you apply for Pain Medicine fellowship after finishing Psych residency? Or do they only accept candidates from anesthesiology or PM&R?

Thanks for your reply. Can you apply for Pain Medicine fellowship after finishing Psych residency? Or do they only accept candidates from anesthesiology or PM&R?
Technically any ACGME grad is eligible but pain will be predominantly gas>pmr>neuro

Neuropsychiatry is approved by UCNS not the ABPN. Did anybody do this fellowship?

I know I´m not the first person to ask this question, but does anyone have information on Womens Mental Health fellowships? I know of a couple of them and just wanted some advice regarding pursuing this unaccredited fellowship and what it may add to my career opportunities. It seems to me that people who enter this field feel that they can get sufficient training by tailoring their residency experience. Also, aside from the fellowship, does anyone have other suggestions on how to best prepare for this field during residency? Thanks!

I know I´m not the first person to ask this question, but does anyone have information on Womens Mental Health fellowships? I know of a couple of them and just wanted some advice regarding pursuing this unaccredited fellowship and what it may add to my career opportunities. It seems to me that people who enter this field feel that they can get sufficient training by tailoring their residency experience. Also, aside from the fellowship, does anyone have other suggestions on how to best prepare for this field during residency? Thanks!

Personally, I would suggest looking for Psychosomatic Medicine fellowships that are strong in women's health.

It seems to me that people who enter this field feel that they can get sufficient training by tailoring their residency experience. Also, aside from the fellowship, does anyone have other suggestions on how to best prepare for this field during residency? Thanks!
Choose a residency that has an organized programming women's mental health. Many psychiatry residencies have "tracks" or "pathways" or the like in which your experiences and electives are structured towards a particular expertise. Programs that have these offerings very often have one in women's mental health.

What about non-board certified Psychiatry subspecialty fellowships? DO you guys know where i can find that information?
MD Anderson in Houston has a psycho-oncology fellowship that I don't believe is officially approved...it is very close to a C/L fellowship yet focused on cancer patients...the fellow i believe has some outpatient care as well for cancer patients,

I am not sure but there are other non-certified sub-specialty fellowships like PTSD (near SF in the VA), psychopharm, administrative, educational and research.

curently TBI medicine does not require a fellowship for board-certification.

Can somebody pitch in to shed some info on the following:in a lot of salary statistics i've come across a different number for a 'General Psychiatrist and a 'General Adult psychiatrist'.Arent these two categories the same?.Say one does a fellowship in child psychiatry,is he/she allowed go practice both adult nd child psychiatry(i know this is a silly question,but again there are different numbers for both,i dont understand why one would restrict themselves to child psychiatry).
There's a fellowship i'm sure everyone's aware of:'Neuropsychiatry'.Is this a prospective speciality?Would it be dwarfed by 'Behavioural Neurology' in practice?Can one practice both general and neuropsychiatry?

what i dont understand is why certain fellowships can be done during PGY4 year and others cannot? ie. child and adolescent, research fellowship is fine...but you cannot do forensics, or pain during PGY4 year.

what i dont understand is why certain fellowships can be done during PGY4 year and others cannot? ie. child and adolescent, research fellowship is fine...but you cannot do forensics, or pain during PGY4 year.
this is not entirely true. you can technically do any fellowship during your PGY-4 that will take you, but then you won't be able to get boarded in that subspecialty. child psychiatry received special dispensation because nobody would do child psychiatry if it were an additional year of training. there is no need for people doing fellowships in c/l, geriatrics, forensics, addiction etc. pain is its own beast since its mostly non-psychiatrists doing it and they all have to complete their residency (and in some cases fellowships) first.

There's been talk for years to allow residents to officially fasttrack into ACGME psychiatric subspecialties but it hasn't happened and it looks like it probably won't happen. It definitely won't happen for forensics. it's all politics.

this is not entirely true. you can technically do any fellowship during your PGY-4 that will take you, but then you won't be able to get boarded in that subspecialty. child psychiatry received special dispensation because nobody would do child psychiatry if it were an additional year of training. there is no need for people doing fellowships in c/l, geriatrics, forensics, addiction etc. pain is its own beast since its mostly non-psychiatrists doing it and they all have to complete their residency (and in some cases fellowships) first.

There's been talk for years to allow residents to officially fasttrack into ACGME psychiatric subspecialties but it hasn't happened and it looks like it probably won't happen. It definitely won't happen for forensics. it's all politics.

A LOT of people do 2 years of C/L after 4 years of general.

Do you know what research fellowships can be available in PGY4? Thanks!

Research fellowships are all "unofficial"--e.g. not ACGME accredited-- anyway so it would just be considered elective time if your in a program (like most) that has a lot of elective time in G4.

Oops, I didn't realize the question was specifically about research fellowships in PGY-4.

As OPD mentioned, research fellowships are not ACGME accredited. However, there are some "official" research fellowships in the sense that they're supported by NIH training grants; you can do them after completing your residency. I know for a fact such fellowship's exist at Columbia, Brown, UW and, of course, NIMH. It's important to remember though that these fellowships are for people set on having a research career, and they accept people with solid research track record.

As OPD mentioned, research fellowships are not ACGME accredited. However, there are some "official" research fellowships, i.e. those supported by NIH training grants, which you can do after completing your residency. I know for a fact such fellowship's exist at Columbia, Brown, UW and, of course, NIMH. It's important to remember though that these fellowships are for people set on having a research career, and they accept people with solid research track record.
they're all non-ACGME accredited which means they aren't official. You don't have to finish residency to do a T32. You can usually start these fellowships in your PGY-4 year depending on the other requirements. For example VA fellowships typically require you to do some clinical service as an attending so you'd have to complete residency first. Some others expect you to support your salary through some clinical work, but ones that don't you should be able do as a PGY-4. Another thing some people do is take time out between residency to do research fellowships in the same way they do (by force) in surgery.

they're all non-ACGME accredited which means they aren't official. You don't have to finish residency to do a T32. You can usually start these fellowships in your PGY-4 year depending on the other requirements. For example VA fellowships typically require you to do some clinical service as an attending so you'd have to complete residency first. Some others expect you to support your salary through some clinical work, but ones that don't you should be able do as a PGY-4. Another thing some people do is take time out between residency to do research fellowships in the same way they do (by force) in surgery.

Thanks Splik. Are these fellowships open to outside applicants from PGY-4? (i.e if the applicant is not in their residency program?)

Are psychiatry fellowships generally friendly to DO psychiatrists? Do they require USMLE or not? Thanks.