Psych Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Books Preferred for Psych Shelf Exam

• BRS

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Blueprints

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Appleton and Lange

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Boards and Wards

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • PreTest

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • NMS

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • High Yield

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The answer to number #2 is D) Schizoaffective disorder. This patient is not just delusional, he is actively psychotic. He not only has delusions, ideas of reference, etc but he also hears voices. Bipolar psychosis would require that his psychosis only occurs during a mood episode. Instead, the patient is in clinic expressing psychotic syptoms but no mood symptoms (a criteria for the diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder).

As for why schizoaffective and not simply schizophrenia? One, the latter is not an answer choice. But additionally, the content of his previous symptoms during his admission included a great deal more gradiosity, which is implying that he may have been experiencing a manic episode at that time.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to number #2 is D) Schizoaffective disorder. This patient is not just delusional, he is actively psychotic. He not only has delusions, ideas of reference, etc but he also hears voices. Bipolar psychosis would require that his psychosis only occurs during a mood episode. Instead, the patient is in clinic expressing psychotic syptoms but no mood symptoms (a criteria for the diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder).

As for why schizoaffective and not simply schizophrenia? One, the latter is not an answer choice. But additionally, the content of his previous symptoms during his admission included a great deal more gradiosity, which is implying that he may have been experiencing a manic episode at that time.

I guess I could see that, he is having grandiosity without his psychosis. So Bipolar+schizophrenia= schizoaffective

Other way around actually. To be schizoaffective, you need to have psychosis without mood symptoms (in addition to having both simultaneously). So he is psychotic without mood symptoms in clinic. While admitted for psychosis, he was manic.

Bipolar patients are often psychotic during acute mania. If you're only psychotic while experiencing a manic episode, then you have bipolar disorder with psychotic features (not schizoaffective disorder).

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt so much better coming out this shelf compared to the Pediatrics shelf, however was extremely disappointed by my grade. My score (68) was significantly lower than the US average (80). Used all of Kaplan Lecture Notes + UW + some Appleton/Lange.

Other way around actually. To be schizoaffective, you need to have psychosis without mood symptoms (in addition to having both simultaneously). So he is psychotic without mood symptoms in clinic. While admitted for psychosis, he was manic.

Bipolar patients are often psychotic during acute mania. If you're only psychotic while experiencing a manic episode, then you have bipolar disorder with psychotic features (not schizoaffective disorder).

So then no where in the stem do we think

In that case I really don't see "the lord tells me to start a new religion" and "a gospel singer is in love with me" as grandiose. But I'd by shizophrenia but since it isn't there default into schizoaffective

Interesting that you mention that. In fact, Some of the DSM criteria for grandiose delusions include "exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person." Being singled out by God to found a new religion is definitely grandiose.

For a quick read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

And now we're back to delusional, grandiose delusions fall under both bipolar and delusional disorder subtype. So since she's having over psychosis (actually be talked to by god), I guess we assume it is Bipolar w/ Schizo vs Delusional w/ Schizo?

You're confusing delusions as a symptom versus delusional disorder, the diagnosis. Schizophrenia and by extension schizoaffective disorder are characterized by psychosis typically composed of both hallucinations and delusions. If you have a hallucinations, you cannot have delusional disorder (it is an exclusion criteria; schiz and delusional disorder are mutually exclusive). Delusional disorder is just delusions, and more commonly it is a single stable delusion in a person who demonstrates otherwise normal insight and judgment.

The characteristic that differentiates bipolar disorder (with psychotic features) and schizoaffective disorder is the relationship between mood symptoms and psychotic symptoms:
If the psychosis only occurs in the context of a mood episode, then you would have bipolar w/ psychotic features (or depression with psychotic features). However, if you are always psychotic but occasionally also have mood episodes, then you would have schizoaffective.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I could see that, he is having grandiosity without his psychosis. So Bipolar+schizophrenia= schizoaffective

To be Schizoaffective you can't have hallucinations /delusions at the same time as a mood disorder. You must have hallucinations then symptoms of a mood disorder. Bipolar w/psychosis is mania with psychosis. Also people with Major depressive disorder can have schizoaffective too it's not just bipolar.

1.A. Becuase the frontal lobes control personality but I'm not sure on this one.
2.B. diabetes can cause depression
3.C. he has 5 symptoms of depression so it's not dysthymic disorder
4. D.

1. Is not A. that's what I put
2. It says he has diabetes, he's on Metformin, you can't put him on insulin after one reading of 155. I think this is probably A. Originally I thought effexor to treat the neuropathy but evidently the potency of venelfaxine on the Norep/Ep system is much greater than cymbalta so effexor is never used for neropathy.
3. Again it's not C. That's what I put

1. Is not A. that's what I put
2. It says he has diabetes, he's on Metformin, you can't put him on insulin after one reading of 155. I think this is probably A. Originally I thought effexor to treat the neuropathy but evidently the potency of venelfaxine on the Norep/Ep system is much greater than cymbalta so effexor is never used for neropathy.
3. Again it's not C. That's what I put

2. I thought of staring insulin just because the problems with his feet. I know. All I Know that Wellbutrin carries a seizure risk and I read both wellbutrin and effexor treat neuropathy.
3. I would think E. if it's not C sorry I didn't see that you put c on that question.

1. B - This is dementia with a choreiform movement disorder in a middle-aged patient. The patient has Huntington's disease with atrophy of the caudate. Patient's with HD classically have personality changes.
2. A - The point they're making is that your choice of antidepressants should be guided by the side effect profile. He complains of decreased libido, so venlafaxine is less desirable. Bupropion does not have sexual side effects.
3. It's E. He does not meet criteria for major depression. Mood side effects from medication frequently take time to manifest. After all, the mood improvement from antidepressants also takes weeks, does it not?
4. D. "She now avoids situations where she might have to speak in public" doesn't mean she only gets stage fright, it's implying that she is avoiding social situations where she *might* have to talk (that's a large number of situations) and is more indicative of social phobia. I agree though that this is a subtle question.

1. B - This is dementia with a choreiform movement disorder in a middle-aged patient. The patient has Huntington's disease with atrophy of the caudate. Patient's with HD classically have personality changes.
2. A - The point they're making is that your choice of antidepressants should be guided by the side effect profile. He complains of decreased libido, so venlafaxine is less desirable. Bupropion does not have sexual side effects.
3. It's E. He does not meet criteria for major depression. Mood side effects from medication frequently take time to manifest. After all, the mood improvement from antidepressants also takes weeks, does it not?
4. D. "She now avoids situations where she might have to speak in public" doesn't mean she only gets stage fright, it's implying that she is avoiding social situations where she *might* have to talk (that's a large number of situations) and is more indicative of social phobia. I agree though that this is a subtle question.

Thanks Lavan. These were the first NBMEs I've taken that felt very much like the shelf

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done Case Files for Psych? I really love the formatting for other shelf tests and it works well for me. Does anyone think I should get an updated one to include DSM V criterion?

Thanks

Case Files is great. The most recent version though I believe is still DSM IV TR though if I'm not mistaken. My impression was that the exams haven't truly switched over, only that they have removed the questions that would otherwise be incorrect?

If you're interested in knowing the differences, I think this pdf is probably sufficient:

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes from dsm-iv-tr to dsm-5.pdf

To be Schizoaffective you can't have hallucinations /delusions at the same time as a mood disorder. You must have hallucinations then symptoms of a mood disorder. Bipolar w/psychosis is mania with psychosis. Also people with Major depressive disorder can have schizoaffective too it's not just bipolar.

Just to clarify because this of the more confusing ones diagnostically... in schizoaffective disorder the psychotic features must occur in the absence of an active mood episode, however mood and psychotic symptoms can and often do occur concurrently. To make things more complicated, mood symptoms must be known to be present during a substantial proportion of the illness; schizophrenics aren't magically protected from having MDD or BD and don't automatically qualify as SZA based on 1-2 mood episodes. Likewise, without extensive longitudinal observation and collateral from family/friends it's usually more appropriate to diagnose most patients with mood + psychotic sx as MDD/BD (depending on the current mood episode and known hx) as opposed to SZA. Hope that helps,

Has anyone done Case Files for Psych? I really love the formatting for other shelf tests and it works well for me. Does anyone think I should get an updated one to include DSM V criterion?

Thanks

Psych boards will be testing based on DSM IV-TR criteria for the next couple of years, can't imagine that the shelf would pre-empt that. Also most healthcare systems/insurance plans (the VA being one exception that I know of) continue to utilize DSM IV at least pending ICD-10, so DSM 5 it isn't even yet practical to utilize clinically.

Got my score 95.
Pretty much agree with FA, uworld, nbmes.
Also for those that haven't had medicine, I'd recommend Neuro from step up, it helped to jump from 80s on practice to my score.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. I was wondering because I heard that USMLE Step 1 will start using DSM V. Oh well, good to know that it won't affect much using the case files. love case files so much!

Took this shelf last Friday and got my results back today. Scored 97. I used lange q&a, uworld, pretest and FA psych. My rotation was 4 weeks but the hours were nice so I felt like I had plenty of time to study compared to other shelves. The 1st two weeks I mainly just did random questions from pre-test and lange (probably 200 total). Starting my 2nd, I went through all of FA psych and took notes on anything I didn't feel comfortable with which seemed to help a lot. After that I just finished lange, did all of uworld psych qs the weekend before my shelf and then the week of I went through my notes and did random pretest questions. I also did nbme 1 the weekend before which helped boost my confidence (93). Overall, I thought nmbe 1 was the best thing to prepare and would have done nbme 2 given more time. Those questions seemed very similar to the real thing. Uworld was great for simulating the real shelf as well but overall too easy and not enough questions. Lange was better than pretest for simulating questions but would recommend doing both if possible (I think pretest got me 1 or 2 I would not have gotten and almost all their stems are short so it doesn't take long to do all 500).

Biggest thing I can stress-absolutely none of that stupid stuff like erik erickson crap so skip those chapters in whatever sources you do end up using. Don't even begin to waste your time on that stuff. Worth going through the 10 pages of peoples posts here as well because I did have 2-3 similar/same questions as others. Time wasn't a big issue for me in general, had around 40 min left to go through the 20 or so questions I had marked but I could see how you could get behind because almost all of the stems are long. Lots of buzzwords/typical vignettes I thought so you can scan the long vignettes looking for keywords instead of reading through the whole thing.

Overall I actually thought it was easier than the other shelves I have taken so far. It really mostly seemed like 2nd year all over again as far as the info that you needed to know. A little neuro (that you could have gotten if you did pre test and lange), some basic IM stuff that pertained to delirium/psychosis.

Taking my test on Friday guys. I've done First Aid for Psych once, done all the uworld questions (with 58% on timed tutor mode), and I have reviewed MTB step 2Psych section as well as First Aid step 2 CK. Some error happened and I couldn't get my case files book in time.

Any advice on something I should do the day before the test? I'm going to drill the drugs and child dx (williams, down, hurlers etc.), but anything else I should do? Like neuro related? I have read through a bit of Pre-Test. I'm trying to make sure I keep things straight with regards to Bipolar/Schizoaffective vignettes. Also have like 30 Kaplan q's left.

don't feel bad... psych is a field meant for those who can't interact within the other fields. you shouldn't feel bad that you are normal and don't feel like dealing with the deranged (no pun) world that is idiotic psych questions.

This is by far the most idiotic statement I've read in a long time. I don't even want to go into psychiatry, but I respect the field. Psych is EVERYWHERE in every field. I registered for SDN just because I had to tell you what a complete ***** you are.

Reactions: 6 users
People still feel that FA 2nd edition is good enough (vs taking the $ leap to 3rd edition)?

So a patient is going through alcohol withdrawal, is there any indication at all for haldol? I know you normally just give benzos but if the patient is super agitated do you keep giving more benzos or would you try haldol?

I read somewhere that antipsychotics are normally not given since they increase seizure threshold. Thanks!

don't feel terrible... psych is a field implied for the individuals who can't connect inside alternate fields. you shouldn't feel awful that you are ordinary and don't crave managing the unhinged (no joke) world that is blockhead psych questions.

So a patient is going through alcohol withdrawal, is there any indication at all for haldol? I know you normally just give benzos but if the patient is super agitated do you keep giving more benzos or would you try haldol?

I read somewhere that antipsychotics are normally not given since they increase seizure threshold. Thanks!

Generally avoided but occasionally used in low doses patients with severe psychosis (not for sedation per se). This especially true in patients with underlying schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Antipsychotics do not treat DTs itself at all, the BZD are what prevents and treats the autonomic instability and seizure. If BZDs are insufficient, barbituates or general anesthesia (i.e. propofol) can be used.

Well.... I certainly slept on prepping for this shelf. Although I didn't do much, I've gotten in the habit of posting my experiences on these threads (it's like self-psychodynamic psychotherapy =P )

Took it today and it took me by surprise. Upperclassmen told me that this was the easiest shelf and I took these 6 weeks to do extra research, study for CS, and do other cv-building exercises.... I wish I had spent at least one solid week just studying questions bc/ right now I'm regretting it. This may be my first non-honor... :unsure:

What I did: DIT, Kaplan vids, UW, 40% Pretest, 33% Lange, FA psych as reference.

Hey guys, I'm about to get started studying for this and have the 9th Edition of the Lange Q&A, not the newer 10th Ed. With 800 questions, I want to make sure I'm using whichever is more beneficial and don't mind spending the $30 or so for the newest edition if its what is best. Are all you recent high scorers using 10, or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

95 standard score on the shelf. just used FA + UWorld + Ramahi video. Lange sucked donkey testicles so I didn't bother.

93/100 with FA and UWorld. I think if you know FA pretty well you're set. More questions with "adjustment disorder with [x]" than I expected.

Well.... I certainly slept on prepping for this shelf. Although I didn't do much, I've gotten in the habit of posting my experiences on these threads (it's like self-psychodynamic psychotherapy =P )

Took it today and it took me by surprise. Upperclassmen told me that this was the easiest shelf and I took these 6 weeks to do extra research, study for CS, and do other cv-building exercises.... I wish I had spent at least one solid week just studying questions bc/ right now I'm regretting it. This may be my first non-honor... :unsure:

What I did: DIT, Kaplan vids, UW, 40% Pretest, 33% Lange, FA psych as reference.
72 :(

Would appreciate some help and explanation of the following NBME 1 questions:
1. Parkinson's pt on carbidopa-levodopa and pramipexole with inc depressive symptoms for past 3 weeks, flat/tearful affect, doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything, says "who wouldn't be sad with this disease." What is the diagnosis?
Options: adjustment with depressed mood (not it), adverse effect of carbidopa-levodopa, dysthymic disorder, MDD, normal reaction to chronic medical illness

2. 52yo woman with weird feeling in her calves when trying to go to bed that keeps her up at night for a couple of hours and is affecting her work/causing her stress.
Options: conversion disorder, dysthymic disorder, GAD, OSA, restless leg (possibly this but no mention of legs moving uncontrollably at night), normal sleep phenomena

3. 5yo girl with difficulty learning and completing basic assignments. Happy and eager to please. Has epicanthal folds, II/VI murmur as LSB, 30th %ile for height, can't hop on one foot, and knows half of her alphabets
Options: Angelman, Down, FAS (is it this?), Fragile X, Prader-Willi, Rett

4. 25yo woman brought in after running in front of cars at busy intersection. Grandiose delusions, combative, hyperverbal. How do you treat her acute symptoms?
Options: fluoxetine, hydroxyzine, lamotrigine, lithium (not it), ziprasidone (possibly this?)

5. 42yo man who has 2mo history of 1-2 min long staring spells that are accompanied with some lip smacking and picking his shirt collar. Was in a coma 4 yrs ago after motorcycle accident. Smells burnt rubber and hears hissing sound during spells. What will the EEG look like?
Options: burst-suppression pattern, diffuse 3-hz spike and slow wave activity (not it), focal spikes localized in temporal lobe, hypsarrhythmia, periodic lateralized epileptiform discharges, polyspike and slow wave activity, triphasic waves

6. 77yo man with 6mo history of confusion and "slowing down", visual hallucinations that he talks to, fails mini-cog, has history of CABG 15 yrs ago and might have a fib (HR 102 with irregular rhythm). Has decreased muscle tone and slow, narrow-based gait. What's the diagnosis?
Options: alzheimer's, drug abuse, lewy body dementia, multi-infarct dementia (not it), tumor of parietal lobe

Would appreciate some help and explanation of the following NBME 1 questions:
Something like this:

1. Mood disorder due to general medical condition.

2. RLS. RLS refers the urge to move your legs or uncomfortable feeling (skin crawling, etc), not the actual movement itself.

3. Angelman - Happy puppet syndrome.

4. Ziprasidone. Antipsychotics stabilize acute mania. Lithium is gold standard for maintenance.

5. Absence seizures are seen in children. This patient has complex partial seizures secondary to TBI. Temporal lobe epilepsy spells are often preceded by sensory aura.

6. Dementia with parkinsonism and visual hallucinations is Lewy Body dementia.

Something like this:

1. Mood disorder due to general medical condition.

2. RLS. RLS refers the urge to move your legs or uncomfortable feeling (skin crawling, etc), not the actual movement itself.

3. Angelman - Happy puppet syndrome.

4. Ziprasidone. Antipsychotics stabilize acute mania. Lithium is gold standard for maintenance.

5. Absence seizures are seen in children. This patient has complex partial seizures secondary to TBI. Temporal lobe epilepsy spells are often preceded by sensory aura.

6. Dementia with parkinsonism and visual hallucinations is Lewy Body dementia.

Thanks, your answers make a lot of sense looking back on it. For #3, Angelman is wrong because that's the answer I put on the real thing too and got it wrong. For #1 do you mean "adverse effect of carbidopa-levodopa" as your answer because mood disorder due to GMC was not an option.

Thanks, your answers make a lot of sense looking back on it. For #3, Angelman is wrong because that's the answer I put on the real thing too and got it wrong. For #1 do you mean "adverse effect of carbidopa-levodopa" as your answer because mood disorder due to GMC was not an option.

1. Yes, adverse effect I think would be reasonable
3. Looking at it again, epicanthal folds and a congenital heart defect (VSD) sounds like Downs.

What sections of Apple & Lange are high yield? What sections are fine skipping?

Okay, stupid question here (since I'm not yet an M3). I'm confused about the NBME scores people rattle off here. I looked at the NBME website but it didn't clarify 100% so I thought I'd ask. This is my understand, please let me know if it is correct:

So when people say they got a 92 or 99/100, that is the percent of questions scored correct with the shelf median normalized to ~%70 with a mean of 7-8%?

The reason I ask it seems like a lot of people are getting >90%. If the scores are a roughly a bell curve then that means you have to be 3 STDs up or higher to get >90% which is a lot. Relative to a USMLE Step 1, that's like a lot of people getting >260. So is it just that people who post here are a self selecting group or what?

No one knows their raw percent correct. People are reporting a numeric score which is normalized as you noted above (some exams have shifted a bit from the original score of 70, they have not been readjusting the tests so some tests can have an average as high as 78, for example, but you get the idea). The relationship between the score and the percentage correct is not known and likely differs from subject to subject. This post probably explains it the best that I've seen: http://www.benwhite.com/medicine/how-nbme-shelf-scores-work/

As with everything on SDN, the people who are typically willing to post here are not typical medical students. Which is also why you often must temper what you read with a sizable dose of salt.

What sections of Apple & Lange are high yield? What sections are fine skipping?
I think the most important sections are: Adult Psychopath, Psychopharm, DDx & Management. Next most important is prob Child Psych.
You could skip the Psychology questions and Legal/Ethical questions, as those areas are less tested.

Really know the DSM criteria required to make a certain psychiatric diagnosis as some of the questions will test nuances of this.

Took the exam yesterday after 4 weeks of inpatient psychiatry. I used FA psychiatry and annotated into the book. Also completed UWorld psych (150 questions), PreTest psych (500 questions), and Lange psych (600 questions).

NBME 1 - 72
NBME 2 - 93

The shelf was really hard even though many people told me it was easy. I am glad I did not slack on my studying! I looked up 5 tricky questions after the exam and got all of them wrong. Mehhhhhhhhhh. Will update with my score later.

Otherwise… HELLO FOURTH YEAR OF MED SCHOOL! Wahooooooooo!

Final shelf score - 91

Last edited:
Hi everyone I recently wrote the shelf exam and it did very well...this was my study plan...

First of all this shelf was not easy at all I think a good 10-15% of my class failed it....mix of child psych, psych pharm, pregnant depression stuff, and random internal medicine-related to psych questions can throw you off track...also the stems are pretty long so this test is not easy none of the shelf exams were..

1) Lange Q&A: a must - it covers the entire scope of the psych topics including child psych, legal/ethics crap and you can pass just with this resource alone, question style is very similar to the actual shelf
1) First Aid STEP 1 PSYCH SECTION: 2014 edition is updated to reflect DSM-V...I still use my First Aid Step 1 almost every day - especially for psych pharm and the intoxication/withdrawal syndromes
2) Emma Holliday's psych review: find it online - good for pimping and child psych esp. but not that useful for the actual shelf
2) UWORLD psychiatry: easier then the actual shelf but good practice questions. I also did some behavioral questions from UWORLD step 1
3 ) practice NBME: they had some weird internal medicine questions that I didn't have on my shelf like a question a porphyria and hypercalcemia but it made me feel more confident
4) First Aid for psych clerkship: read the pharm section, some child psych

First Aid for psychiatric clerkship - review books always have too much text and it is hard for me to retain....I learn from reading solutions to practice questions...but this book is good if you have to do a presentation or if you need to learn one small topic very briefly

Actual shelf exam: I feel that you really need to be able to differentiate the mood and psychotic disorders very well - get alot of practice from Lange and the practice NBMEs....

A word about drugs and psychology theory/testing crap: if you read FA step 1 psych pharm section, do the pharm section in lange and read the brief pharm section in the FA psych clerkship you will be fine....the questions I got were easier than lange questions....also I skipped the psychology section of questions from Lange...all this theory about psychology testing, etc. was annoying to read and I had no questions on psychology testing or theory

Last edited:
My answers are listed I don't know if they are right but that's what I would have picked if that helps.

The last one is definitely not schizoaffective. Schizoaffective diagnosis requires two separate episodes of a psychosis and a mood disorder

Hey guys I just wanted to make sure I'm purchasing the correct NBME practice shelf exams for Psychiatry.
Are these the "Clinical Series Mastery Series" with Psychiatry forms 1 and 2.
Also which form is the best out of the two?
Thanks!

Is the test updated to reflect the changes made in DSM-V? All my resources are from last year so they cover DSM-IV only. I have spent time studying the differences between them but I'm not sure if I should put more emphasis on one or the other.

Is the test updated to reflect the changes made in DSM-V? All my resources are from last year so they cover DSM-IV only. I have spent time studying the differences between them but I'm not sure if I should put more emphasis on one or the other.

Took the shelf 1.5 weeks ago and it doesn't focus on dsm criteria. I wouldn't worry about the changes.