This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamingofawhitedentition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Figured I would start this thread to share thoughts/advice and what programs everyone hears from as we start the 2017 Prosthodontics Residency application cycle! Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

wow can't believe it's time already! Best of luck everyone!

Hello! Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone applying or those who who remember..

For NBDE official scores. Are the ones sent with the Institution Evaluation Form from your dental school good enough? Or do we have to send them separately to the schools who state that they want them?

Specifically: Maryland, Chicago, Connecticut, Montefiore

From what I read on the websites, Maryland and UConn wanted ones sent directly from ADEA. All the other schools I am applying to were fine with what was on PASS. But I'm not applying to Chicago or Montefiore so I would verify with the programs.

Hey guys , any updates on interviews ..

I applied to NYU , Minnesota , Michigan and Chicago ..

Still haven't heard of any of them ... Getting worried now

I wouldn't be worried at all! They are still getting applications in and some don't even look at them until after the August deadline. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the info guys.. i think this year is the last year before Prostho goes to MATCH .. goodluck to everyone

I can confirm this. It was sent out to everyone this year. This should be the last non-MATCH year for most programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
Are they any current Prosthodontic residents doing a residency at a VA (or anyone who wishes to share information on VA prosthodontics residency programs) who could share some information on VA Prosthodontic programs, your experience, and/or why you chose a VA over a non-VA program?

Also, if there are any current Prosthodontic residents who don't mind sharing pros/cons or why you chose your current program...they would be great!

I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

received interviews from Pitt, UIC , louisville, USC goodluck guys

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations!

Received interview invites from Houston. Chicago, and West Virginia so far!! Im still waiting on a few more. Good luck!!

Received an interview from Rochester as well .. Goodluck everyone !

I interviewed at UMN and received an interview from UCLA. Still waiting to hear back from UIC, UTHSCSA, and VA programs at Houston and West LA. Congratulations to everyone else and good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there!!
I am new to SDN and chanced upon this thread after days of not getting a reply on my posts! Thankful to whoever started this! This has been a Godsend!
I am an internationally trained dentist from India (would love to connect with an Indian aspirant) and I'm planning to apply for the 1 year Prosthodontic preceptorship program in UTH (so I get a glimpse of how residencies come along in the US) and then apply for a formal residency program. Does anyone have a clear idea of prosthodontic preceptorship programs in UCLA, UCSF and OSU?? Would be grateful if you could share your valuable input as every ounce of it matters to me
Have a great day!

I interviewed at UMN and received an interview from UCLA. Still waiting to hear back from UIC, UTHSCSA, and VA programs at Houston and West LA. Congratulations to everyone else and good luck!
Congrats for interviews..Could you share your profile?

Hey Guys , any updates on interviews for USC or BU or Indiana?

Hello all,
I want to know if anybody know what tooth prep exercise they ask us to do in Harvard as part of the residency process? Is it only a crown prep , or wax up and carving too... Any other information or updates about Harvard school of dental medicine would be appreciated.

I never had to do one when i interviewed there

No invites or interviews yet guys? I know some people have been getting offers. Let's get this thread going! Good luck everyone :)

I never had to do one when i interviewed there
Thank you knife for the reply but do you have any friends at Harvard who can give you the information. I already got 2 rejections and this is my last interview for the cycle so don't want to miss it.

Maryland and UNC are finished with their selections. Rochester's interviews are complete and Ohio will be finished next week. Best of luck!

Sorry i can't be of more help pavii. Best of luck!

Hi..Congrats for interviews..!! Could you tell whether University of Minnesota are done with admission process or not?

Man this thread is really the "deadest" it's been in years :/ C'mon guys post some acceptances and/or interviews and how they went! You'll be amazed at how much it helps the future classes :)

Any news from UAB?
Good luck guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Hey guys! So I have just accepted a position in my future program (*happy dance*) and just wanted to share tidbits with future applicants about the Pros application process. I know how stressful all of this is and hopefully this will help. Hang in there! Every time it gets overwhelming, take a breath, remember why you want this, and take it one step at a time.

Tips for applications:
1. 2x2 photos. There is no need to get the $15 passport photos just because they are the right size! Find a friend with a good camera and nice lighting, throw on a suit/nice shirt and take a headshot against a solid background (wall, etc). Then format it in Microsoft Powerpoint or any editing program to get it to 2inx2in. Take it to Walmart/CVS/personal printer with photo paper and print those babies out! I personally went to Target and got a professional shoot done with nice shirt/suit/white coat/combo so I can have photos for future websites, ads, etc (you can get 3 shots or a whole shoot done for not that much). Again, I don't think schools care how you do it as long as you are professional looking in the picture and it's the right size.

2. Official NBDE scores. If you are submitting through ADEA, your dean's letter should contain your passing score and that is enough for the schools you are applying for. No need to send it separately. (Note: From what I've hear, if you are applying to a VA or any school that does not use PASS/MATCH, they will have to be sent separately.)

3. Letters of Recommendation: Ask early! I always like to give each recommender a manila folder containing a cover letter and resume/CV. In the cover letter, I include a quick paragraph thanking them and quickly mentioning my future plans. I then include any classes I took of theirs and my grade, big procedures they have helped me with in clinic, and maybe a few bulletpoints of your "strengths" that have shown while working with them. You'd be surprised how grateful they can be for a little guidance when writing. Just try not to be too aggressive. A nice thank you card after you've been accepted is always appreciated.

4. Interviews: Be yourself! Can't emphasize this enough. You got the invite, they like you on paper so you passed that step! This is the time to show them who you are and that you are passionate about this specialty. Everyone has something different to offer. Don't just say what you think they want to hear, people can see right through that. The most popular question is "Why Pros?". It's good to have a go to statement of a few sentences that sums up your answer. Also...have questions!! I swear one or two of interviewers had me solely asking them questions the whole time. I tried to ask a lot about the "feel" of the program/residents/faculty. This is going to be the next 3 years of your life. You want to make sure you aren't somewhere where it's cut throat and you need to watch your back every second. Fortunately, almost all of the programs I have seen have a great "family" feel with everyone helping everyone else. You also want to be in a program where you get what YOU want out of it. You love research and want to go into that?... You want to be a great clinician and see case after case?... You are implant hungry?... Ask, ask, ask. Only way you'll find out the flavor of the program.

5. To those thinking of applying in the future: Have a word document you update with EVERYTHING you do during dental school. Every volunteer event, clubs joined, honors won. With the dates and hours spent. I kept one going through both college and dental school and it is amazing what you forget when you sit down to that application. This is a sure way that you get credit for all your awesomeness.

6. Personal Statement: I know you've been scouring the internet for that perfect example letter to get you started (trust me, I tried the same thing). Unfortunately, I don't have the golden ticket. However, I can tell you it's stressful as anything and I have literally 10 edited documents on my computer saved next to my final draft. It's no easy feat but you will get there! This should be different than your personal statement for dental school. It can be the same flavor and maybe even a line or two that is the same. However, they now want to know why you want to dedicate the rest of your life (or at least the next 3 years) to this specialty. Side note: A lot of people write about "what this speciality will do for them". Try and see if you can write an additional line or two about what you can bring to Pros. It shows that you have thought about the future and have a well-rounded view.
Have multiple people look at your drafts! Both of mine were from outside of the dental world, however they know me very well and were able to help immensely! You'd be amazed how an entire paragraph can be summarized into a line or two and still get your point across.
On that note, I don't think length has to be a great concern either. Honestly, the shorter the better. Some schools had 70 applicants this year and I can only imagine how these directors sift through all the paperwork. Be concise, get your story out there and you should be golden!

If anyone has anything else to add, big or small, please feel free! Again, congrats to everyone and best of luck to future applicants! You can do it!

Hey guys! So I have just accepted a position in my future program (*happy dance*) and just wanted to share tidbits with future applicants about the Pros application process. I know how stressful all of this is and hopefully this will help. Hang in there! Every time it gets overwhelming, take a breath, remember why you want this, and take it one step at a time.

Tips for applications:
1. 2x2 photos. There is no need to get the $15 passport photos just because they are the right size! Find a friend with a good camera and nice lighting, throw on a suit/nice shirt and take a headshot against a solid background (wall, etc). Then format it in Microsoft Powerpoint or any editing program to get it to 2inx2in. Take it to Walmart/CVS/personal printer with photo paper and print those babies out! I personally went to Target and got a professional shoot done with nice shirt/suit/white coat/combo so I can have photos for future websites, ads, etc (you can get 3 shots or a whole shoot done for not that much). Again, I don't think schools care how you do it as long as you are professional looking in the picture and it's the right size.

2. Official NBDE scores. If you are submitting through ADEA, your dean's letter should contain your passing score and that is enough for the schools you are applying for. No need to send it separately. (Note: From what I've hear, if you are applying to a VA or any school that does not use PASS/MATCH, they will have to be sent separately.)

3. Letters of Recommendation: Ask early! I always like to give each recommender a manila folder containing a cover letter and resume/CV. In the cover letter, I include a quick paragraph thanking them and quickly mentioning my future plans. I then include any classes I took of theirs and my grade, big procedures they have helped me with in clinic, and maybe a few bulletpoints of your "strengths" that have shown while working with them. You'd be surprised how grateful they can be for a little guidance when writing. Just try not to be too aggressive. A nice thank you card after you've been accepted is always appreciated.

4. Interviews: Be yourself! Can't emphasize this enough. You got the invite, they like you on paper so you passed that step! This is the time to show them who you are and that you are passionate about this specialty. Everyone has something different to offer. Don't just say what you think they want to hear, people can see right through that. The most popular question is "Why Pros?". It's good to have a go to statement of a few sentences that sums up your answer. Also...have questions!! I swear one or two of interviewers had me solely asking them questions the whole time. I tried to ask a lot about the "feel" of the program/residents/faculty. This is going to be the next 3 years of your life. You want to make sure you aren't somewhere where it's cut throat and you need to watch your back every second. Fortunately, almost all of the programs I have seen have a great "family" feel with everyone helping everyone else. You also want to be in a program where you get what YOU want out of it. You love research and want to go into that?... You want to be a great clinician and see case after case?... You are implant hungry?... Ask, ask, ask. Only way you'll find out the flavor of the program.

5. To those thinking of applying in the future: Have a word document you update with EVERYTHING you do during dental school. Every volunteer event, clubs joined, honors won. With the dates and hours spent. I kept one going through both college and dental school and it is amazing what you forget when you sit down to that application. This is a sure way that you get credit for all your awesomeness.

6. Personal Statement: I know you've been scouring the internet for that perfect example letter to get you started (trust me, I tried the same thing). Unfortunately, I don't have the golden ticket. However, I can tell you it's stressful as anything and I have literally 10 edited documents on my computer saved next to my final draft. It's no easy feat but you will get there! This should be different than your personal statement for dental school. It can be the same flavor and maybe even a line or two that is the same. However, they now want to know why you want to dedicate the rest of your life (or at least the next 3 years) to this specialty. Side note: A lot of people write about "what this speciality will do for them". Try and see if you can write an additional line or two about what you can bring to Pros. It shows that you have thought about the future and have a well-rounded view.
Have multiple people look at your drafts! Both of mine were from outside of the dental world, however they know me very well and were able to help immensely! You'd be amazed how an entire paragraph can be summarized into a line or two and still get your point across.
On that note, I don't think length has to be a great concern either. Honestly, the shorter the better. Some schools had 70 applicants this year and I can only imagine how these directors sift through all the paperwork. Be concise, get your story out there and you should be golden!

If anyone has anything else to add, big or small, please feel free! Again, congrats to everyone and best of luck to future applicants! You can do it!

excellent excellent input for all future applicants! This should hopefully help all those pursuing this avenue :) Cheers!

Interviews:
Maryland: Talk with the director about the program, 4 face-to-face interviews, one with the director and the others with faculty. Time to view and observe in clinic afterwards
Rochester: 2-3 face-to-face interviews, tour of the clinic/school, lunch with third year resident, observation of clinic
Ohio: Dinner the night before with residents and faculty. Morning presentation about the school and program, tour of the school. Lab portion in pre-clinic (bring loupes if you want) #9 provisional fabrication (Jet provided) and a premolar-molar PFM/all metal bridge prep (all materials provided). Lunch with residents. Afternoon is a rotation of 4-5 face-face interviews, RPD design on paper and using model/surveyor/etc, and observation of clinic
UNC: 2 days. Powerpoint presentation of school, 4 face-to-face interviews, plenty of time to observe the clinic, tour of schools (undergrad and dental), lunch with residents, lab portion: 2 clinic scenarios on paper, quick tx plan of crowns, prep #9 and #30 on typodont. All materials provided, bring loupes! Dinner with the residents at the end of the first day.

Tips for applications:

Hearty Congrats..!! Thanks for sharing useful tips!

Interviews:
Maryland: Talk with the director about the program, 4 face-to-face interviews, one with the director and the others with faculty. Time to view and observe in clinic afterwards
Rochester: 2-3 face-to-face interviews, tour of the clinic/school, lunch with third year resident, observation of clinic
Ohio: Dinner the night before with residents and faculty. Morning presentation about the school and program, tour of the school. Lab portion in pre-clinic (bring loupes if you want) #9 provisional fabrication (Jet provided) and a premolar-molar PFM/all metal bridge prep (all materials provided). Lunch with residents. Afternoon is a rotation of 4-5 face-face interviews, RPD design on paper and using model/surveyor/etc, and observation of clinic
UNC: 2 days. Powerpoint presentation of school, 4 face-to-face interviews, plenty of time to observe the clinic, tour of schools (undergrad and dental), lunch with residents, lab portion: 2 clinic scenarios on paper, quick tx plan of crowns, prep #9 and #30 on typodont. All materials provided, bring loupes! Dinner with the residents at the end of the first day.
West Virginia (Accepts 2) : Only one batch with 10-12 candidates. Dinner the night before with residents only. Next day: a rotation of 5 face-face interviews, observation of clinic, Lunch with the faculty and residents. Finally, tour of the dental school. (grad prosth clinic in a different site, 4 miles away from the dental school.)

Iowa (Accepts 2): 3-4 batches of variable number of candidates. Dinner the night before with residents and faculty. Morning after: RPD design on paper and using stone model/surveyor, Lab portion in grad-clinic (bring loupes if you want) #9 all-ceramic prep and a premolar-molar PFM/all metal bridge prep (all materials provided). Written exam (Prosthodontics MCQs) then Lunch with residents. Afternoon is a rotation of 3 face-face interviews, , and observation of clinic. Finally, tour of the school.

Tennessee (Accepts 2): 3-4 batches of variable number of candidates. One day shot. A rotation of 5 face-face interviews including the residents (all the residents will interview you), observation of clinics and the lab, Lunch with the faculty and residents. Finally, a closing interview.

UF (Florida) (Accepts 2 +plus may be one intern): 1-2 batches of variable number of candidates. One day shot. A rotation of 5 face-face interviews all day, observation of clinics and the lab. Presentation about the school and program by the program director. Lunch in the cafeteria of the hospital. In the evening, Dinner with the residents in a fancy restaurant.

Marquette (Accepts 2): Only one batch with 10-12 candidates. 2 days interview. Every candidate will have different schedule. In general, all will have Lab portion in predoc clinic (bring loupes if you want) #9 all-ceramic prep and a premolar-molar PFM/all metal bridge prep (all materials provided). Written exam (Prosthodontics MCQs). Writing abstract for a very recent article in one of Prosth journals. Wax up upper central incisor in an articlator. Breakfast and Lunch with residents and faculty both days. (Very respectful program director. He will notify everybody with the results day after with the grades of each interview parts. )

Pittsburgh (Accepts 3): 4-6 batches of variable number of candidates. One day shot. Morning, Lab portion in grad-clinic (bring loupes if you want) #11 all-ceramic prep, #30 PFM prep, and #9 veneer prep (all materials provided). Lunch with residents. Afternoon is a rotation of 3-4 face-face interviews, observation of implant clinic and grad prosth clinic. Presentation about the complex cases (done by residents in the past years) by the program director.

In UTHSCSA this year we did two batches of interviews with 7-8 people in each. We choose 4 candidates generally. Next year all the major pros programs except Chicago are going to Match AFAIK.

I can confirm this. My director is the current ACP president (for one more week haha) and he's shared pretty much the same info. That should make things reallllll interesting!

i guess everyone should enjoy this process while they still can this year... applying to MATCH is a whole 'nother ball game

Any news from Minnesota?
Sorry, I just saw this now! I accepted UMN in early August. I have no clue if they accepted another resident or still interviewing.

Congratulations to all those who got acceptance into residency..Can you guys share your profile so that it would help us for next year application cycle..Thanks..!!!