Promoted to CVS PIC and I'm clueless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmCase

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone out there can please help me. At least guide me, any little tip helps. I am brand new to cvs. I graduated in May, was hired in May and never worked as a tech during school. I barely know any of the processes that go on, on a daily basis. I basically just know how to verify. I have the hardest time with insurances and have no clue how to place an order and how inventory or the metrics work. And recently, I was told I would be pharmacy manager. I am in a state of panic. I was hoping I could be at least get a couple months in as a staff pharmacist, but I was floated for about a month and a half, and thats it. I had no tech experience during school. I am at a loss. What are my duties as a pharmacy manager and when do I have to do them? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If anyone out there can please help me. At least guide me, any little tip helps. I am brand new to cvs. I graduated in May, was hired in May and never worked as a tech during school. I barely know any of the processes that go on, on a daily basis. I basically just know how to verify. I have the hardest time with insurances and have no clue how to place an order and how inventory or the metrics work. And recently, I was told I would be pharmacy manager. I am in a state of panic. I was hoping I could be at least get a couple months in as a staff pharmacist, but I was floated for about a month and a half, and thats it. I had no tech experience during school. I am at a loss. What are my duties as a pharmacy manager and when do I have to do them? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Send me a PM and I will give you some advice, First, don't sweat it. Do the best you can. Be nice to your staff. You need them to perform. Watch them carefully. Model the behavior you want out of them.

Reactions: 3 users
How can CVS force a new grad to be a manager when they don't even know what they're doing...!!!???

Members don't see this ad :)
Clueless is one of the preferred qualifications.

Reactions: 3 users
Omg how did you get tricked into being pic?

Reactions: 1 user
Your manager is like a slimy guy who keeps on asking you out. You need to shut down the conversation immediately or he will keep on asking you out.

Him: so I have this tremendously opportunity...

You (interrupt him): oh hell no!

*snap snap*

*get our purse*

*leave*

You're clueless allright. That's why you got sucked into being a PIC.

Has it occurred to you that there's a reason no one with more experience took the job?

I was just thrown into PIC myself! I have been an intern with CVS for about a year before I got licensed and with another retail store before then, so I was pretty familiar with RxConnect and the daily operations of a pharmacy. A store in my district just had a staff and PIC quit within 1 month of each other (big surprise there) and I was asked (begged) by my sup to step in temporarily. I had been licensed for less than 1 month at that time.

I would say just don't be afraid to ask for help on everything you need to. Rely on your technicians for A LOT. Especially if they are experienced, they will probably feel good if they can help you. They should know how to handle insurance issues, do the order, strongpak, returns, etc. If they don't know how to do something like that, call a store close by and ask the pharmacist on duty or one of the technicians there. Call your supervisor if you have to. And Basically just look at the WorkLoad Manager and store email every day. Most of the things that populate into WorkLoad Manager have directions that are easy to follow. As PIC I think you just have to make good use of your time and be super efficient during the hours you're in the store. Make a list of things you need to get done in a day (tech schedule, CII order filled out, rx validation, etc) and concentrate hard on verifying and when (if) you get a few hours ahead in QV, go to your list and start working on one of those things until you get a waiter or get distracted. Also constantly do prescriber follow up calls through the day while you are verifying, I don't think there's any easy way to get all of them done besides just multitasking. Use the first hour in the morning and the last hour of the night to your advantage to get things all straightened up and completed. I work 14 hour days alone so maybe some of that time management stuff is more applicable to someone like me, but I think if I worked in a store with another pharmacist or an 8 hour shift, I might come early or stay late to get stuff done -- it would be worth it. And also lean on your front store managers for anything they may be able to help with.

I have only done this for about a month and a half so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I think I felt like you do right now when they asked me to fill in, and that's what I've learned so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Bad move, i was tricked in the same way almost a year ago. Best tip? Find an exit route. I'm serious. My independent is hiring if u live near southern calfornia

Is this some kind of sick joke? This is a disaster waiting to happen.
I think I wrote somewhere on this forum to be careful of positions/places that are always hiring/vacant. Something is usually wrong. Sounds to me that this PIC position was in desperate need of being filled. Regardless of whether the pharmacist has experience or not. Nobody wants to take the role for a reason clearly and the District Manager probably needs to meet payroll. I hope someone on here has messaged you some advice, but PLEASE PLEASE start looking for another job asap. I just have a bad feeling about this for you man.
Good luck

Doesn't seem that there is any benefit to being a PIC in retail. A little more money and control of how things are done in your store? Not sure what else if anything. They probably really should try to make it somewhat worth it, but they probably can find enough new RPHs to take it. On the bright side, you can maybe use it as a quick stepping stone into something else at another place. Also, I know of someone who was a PIC at one store who successfully moved to another store as a staff pharmacist when they got tired of it.

If fact, here's a PIC horror story from yesterday:
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...macist-responsible-pharm-tech-s-massive-theft

Doesn't seem that there is any benefit to being a PIC in retail. A little more money and control of how things are done in your store? Not sure what else if anything. They probably really should try to make it somewhat worth it, but they probably can find enough new RPHs to take it. On the bright side, you can maybe use it as a quick stepping stone into something else at another place. Also, I know of someone who was a PIC at one store who successfully moved to another store as a staff pharmacist when they got tired of it.

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...macist-responsible-pharm-tech-s-massive-theft

I don't know, I would like to think I would notice over a million dollars worth of medications being stolen from the pharmacy. Where was the loss prevention dept during all that?!

Why is the PIC the only one who is held responsible?

I worked with a tech who was caught stealing money from the pharmacy. I am sure she stole other things too. The problem is that the PIC acted like she was her big sister rather than her supervisor. The tech felt like she could have done whatever and get away with it.

New grads make the best PICS.....well, because they are the ones who will readily accept the job. Learning the ins and outs of your computer system is the easy part, the harder part will be learning to be a "manager."
General advice:

1) Observe for at least the first month. Do not come in and make any changes (unless something is really illegal), or that will get you off on a bad foot. Especially as a new grad with little experience, you don't want to get off on a bad foot.

2) Don't talk personal stuff at work. It's fine to mention if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/family, where you live, basic introductory stuff, but nothing beyond that. Certainly *NEVER* come to work and talk about problems you are having with a family member or landlord or any problems at all. Conversely, don't participate in listening to your employees talk about their problems, if they try to initiate a personal conversation with you, cut them off gently and give them a task to do (if they are talking personal things with other employees, ignore it unless its affecting work) You should be friendly to your employees, but you aren't there to be there friend.

3) Treat all your employees equally at first. Maybe you've heard bad things about some of them, maybe one of your techs or pharmacists will "warn" you the first day about another employee. Don't listen to gossip or hearsay, treat everyone equally and observe. It's not unheard of for the "bad" employee to warn a new guy about another employee, to take attention off of themselves. After observing for a month, you will have a good idea on which employees need help, and in what areas. Similarly, if you see an employee who isn't doing things right or isn't doing things at all, don't assume they are stupid or lazy--chances are they were never properly trained. It is your job to properly train them (and if they still can't perform after that, well then handle that the way you are supposed to handle a performance issue.)

4) Expect to spend a lot of extra time in the first weeks and months of your job. Not only are you getting a crash course in your specific pharmacy, but also your specific employees. You won't always have to spend that much time at work, but expect to put in extra hours at the beginning.

5) Take copious notes so you never have to ask the same thing twice. Reach out to other managers in your chain. If after the first month you realize there are serious problems in certain areas (as you most certainly will, that is why no one else wanted to be manager in that store), talk to other managers or your DM about suggestions to work on those problems. Implement only 1 change at a time (multiple changes will freak out your employees, and then you won't have any idea what is working or not working.) Along with this, ask lots of questions, anything you don't know how to do, ask. Anything you see a technician or another pharmacist doing that you don't know how to do, ask. Anything that you can't figure out why anyone would do it that way, ask.

Reactions: 5 users
New grads make the best PICS.....well, because they are the ones who will readily accept the job. Learning the ins and outs of your computer system is the easy part, the harder part will be learning to be a "manager."
General advice:

1) Observe for at least the first month. Do not come in and make any changes (unless something is really illegal), or that will get you off on a bad foot. Especially as a new grad with little experience, you don't want to get off on a bad foot.

2) Don't talk personal stuff at work. It's fine to mention if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/family, where you live, basic introductory stuff, but nothing beyond that. Certainly *NEVER* come to work and talk about problems you are having with a family member or landlord or any problems at all. Conversely, don't participate in listening to your employees talk about their problems, if they try to initiate a personal conversation with you, cut them off gently and give them a task to do (if they are talking personal things with other employees, ignore it unless its affecting work) You should be friendly to your employees, but you aren't there to be there friend.

3) Treat all your employees equally at first. Maybe you've heard bad things about some of them, maybe one of your techs or pharmacists will "warn" you the first day about another employee. Don't listen to gossip or hearsay, treat everyone equally and observe. It's not unheard of for the "bad" employee to warn a new guy about another employee, to take attention off of themselves. After observing for a month, you will have a good idea on which employees need help, and in what areas. Similarly, if you see an employee who isn't doing things right or isn't doing things at all, don't assume they are stupid or lazy--chances are they were never properly trained. It is your job to properly train them (and if they still can't perform after that, well then handle that the way you are supposed to handle a performance issue.)

4) Expect to spend a lot of extra time in the first weeks and months of your job. Not only are you getting a crash course in your specific pharmacy, but also your specific employees. You won't always have to spend that much time at work, but expect to put in extra hours at the beginning.

5) Take copious notes so you never have to ask the same thing twice. Reach out to other managers in your chain. If after the first month you realize there are serious problems in certain areas (as you most certainly will, that is why no one else wanted to be manager in that store), talk to other managers or your DM about suggestions to work on those problems. Implement only 1 change at a time (multiple changes will freak out your employees, and then you won't have any idea what is working or not working.) Along with this, ask lots of questions, anything you don't know how to do, ask. Anything you see a technician or another pharmacist doing that you don't know how to do, ask. Anything that you can't figure out why anyone would do it that way, ask.

This is very solid advice

Only reason the big chains make new grads PICs is because they don't know how terrifying the job really is. Seasoned rphs know better

While some are dogging on you for falling into the classic trap of "hey, I have a unique position that require you skills", you can look at I two options when you are tossed into a sink or swig position: sink or swim.

Heck, I took a clinical/manager position after my residency. 50/50 right with plenty of DOP giving you guidance on what to do right? wrong! He went corporate and nominated me to take his place. So the question to you, when you realize that you are a pawn in someone else's machinations is admit defeat before you are defeated; learn to survive just enough to extricated yourself; or prove you are more than equal to the match and start planning on how to turn the table.

Ps. but in any cases, secretly build multiple exists/safety nets.

You hear how horrible retail is from everyone and while I can't speak for cvs, I would never not be the pic at Walgreens.

Everything biddingmytime said is correct. The most important thing to keep the pharmacy moving smoothly is simply watching the techs. You have to see what they do wrong/take too much time on and fix it. I cannot remember the last time I've had a bad day and its solely because my staff works more efficiently then others.

While some are dogging on you for falling into the classic trap of "hey, I have a unique position that require you skills", you can look at I two options when you are tossed into a sink or swig position: sink or swim.

Heck, I took a clinical/manager position after my residency. 50/50 right with plenty of DOP giving you guidance on what to do right? wrong! He went corporate and nominated me to take his place. So the question to you, when you realize that you are a pawn in someone else's machinations is admit defeat before you are defeated; learn to survive just enough to extricated yourself; or prove you are more than equal to the match and start planning on how to turn the table.

Ps. but in any cases, secretly build multiple exists/safety nets.

This guy is creating fantasy scenarios in his own head so he can feel like he's playing the game of thrones at his work place.