Prolonged Tourniquet Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I preoxygenate. Something wrong with that? We got tons of fatties in America. But I preoxygenate everyone. Guess you wouldn't hire me as I am not so slick?
Don't take what I say or do too personal.
All I am saying is that "I" don't usually preox pts all that much.
I don't care what others do. It's theirs and your prerogative.

Members don't see this ad :)
The false bravado on this thread is breathtaking.

Noyac: "It's a waste of time for me to give literally the only drug that is required to sustain life; the monitoring that forms the basis of my entire profession is not necessary"
Anbuitachi: "20 minute C-sections are slow in my shop"

:laugh:

I mean really, is it necessary to preox the 18yo for an ACL that is scared sh*tless because it's his or her first surgery ever? Hell no. Get that pt off to sleep as fast as safely possible.

It's not your job to "not scare" the 18yo. It's your job to anesthetize safely. Your final sentence here is self-contradictory and silly.

Reactions: 1 users
The false bravado on this thread is breathtaking.

Noyac: "It's a waste of time for me to give literally the only drug that is required to sustain life; the monitoring that forms the basis of my entire profession is not necessary"
Anbuitachi: "20 minute C-sections are slow in my shop"

:laugh:

What precisely is false about it? The simple statement about not needing every patient, including young healthy folks with easy airways, to breath 100% O2 without a leak for 3-5 before induction shouldn't be earth shattering or require condemnation from the crowd. After all, I was under the assumption that we are the airway experts. Safe practice and lack of need for preO2 aren't mutually exclusive. Give it a try.

Reactions: 1 users
Fakin' i would recommend you take extra care when you step off your horse 'cause at that hight you could shatter your pelvis.

What precisely is false about it? The simple statement about not needing every patient, including young healthy folks with easy airways, to breath 100% O2 without a leak for 3-5 before induction shouldn't be earth shattering or require condemnation from the crowd. After all, I was under the assumption that we are the airway experts. Safe practice and lack of need for preO2 aren't mutually exclusive. Give it a try.

The bravado isn't any different from what is normally thrown around here. Noyac's assertion as written is ridiculous although he later amended his assertion.

I don't preox! At least not like we were taught. I do place a mask on the pts face as they are positioned on the table and the nurse in the room thinks she is doing something by holding it down. But I have already given the meds, so the pt might take one or two breaths with something more than 21% Fio2. I definitely do not wait in order for the pt to preox.

Where did I amend?

I would be extremely surprised if the vast majority of people here provide textbook preoxegenation. I do not. And I don't think it is absolutely necessary in every instance.

My initial comment, "who preoxegenates" was somewhat meant to be sarcastic. Which I frequently struggle to convey on a forum. But so many here take every single comment as absolute and blow things so far out of proportion.

So I will amend right now, "it's been a long long time since I have performed a textbook preoxegenation on a pt." I just don't do it. But nowhere did I recommend this for anyone out there.

Chill out everyone.

Reactions: 1 user