This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case anyone is reading this in the future with just COMLEX: I contacted UF-Jacksonville before studying a map of FL and they are good with COMLEX, 550+ is what they like to see. I did not contact UF-Gainesville, not sure if there is a huge difference between the programs. UF-Gainesville has a handful of DOs in their class.

UF Gainesville was known for not being DO friendly, however, since 2015 they have taken DO's. 3 NSU students matched into IM in 2015

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello there,
Did anyone get replys to thank you emails from the PD at WashU? Also, anyone get unsolicited emails from them?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Temple vs Montefiore: I'm not sure which one to put as my 7th choice. Both serve underserved populations, which I like, and both are in not so great locations. Comparable fellowship match lists. Can someone comment on the potential differences in clinical training btw these two programs? Thanks!

When I interviewed I mostly saw American medical grads. But I'm sure there are a ton of IMG. Prelims were mostly AMG as I recall.

Can anyone comment on UCSF-Fresno vs Loma Linda for Heme/onc opportunity outside of their respective institutions. What's the quality of research involvement during residency in either? Which would set me up better for fellowship opportunities? Thanks

Can any offer advice on NorthShore and St. Joseph internal medicine programs in Chicago. Is there a significant difference in terms of fellowship opportunities? Is one better for primary care or underserved care? Any general impressions about the places? Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any offer advice on NorthShore and St. Joseph internal medicine programs in Chicago. Is there a significant difference in terms of fellowship opportunities? Is one better for primary care or underserved care? Any general impressions about the places? Thank you.

Not sure if they come on here much anymore but @meliora27 may have some incite to one of or both of these programs.

I was surprised to see this old thread bumped and wanted to anonymously weigh in as a fairly recent grad of the program. There's a number of pluses and minuses:

Plus:
-Tons of pathology is right. CRMC is the biggest hospital in the surrounding 5-6 counties and you'll see all kinds of stuff you imagined only ever reading about in a textbook. Rare cancers, late stage AIDS, whatever.
-Ever-increasing # of fellowships in house, rare for a more community program. They're up to cards, GI, pulm, ID, heme/onc, sleep, and palliative.
-Residents get along great, very few interpersonal problems. Most of us make friends for life, still keep in touch with our old prelims years later, etc.
-Free food at CRMC is a major plus. The two doctors lounges between them have hot breakfast/lunch M-F, snacks available pretty much 24/7, and if you're on call overnight or working the weekend you get $21 you can spend in the cafeteria or coffeeshop
-Lots of elective time as an intern, like 3-3.5 months. It's a lot more than most programs I interviewed at.

+/-
-Lots of Spanish speaking patients, especially if your continuity clinic is at CRMC.
-Quite procedure heavy for an IM program- great if you are interested, but not so great if you never want to do any. There's requirements for minimum number of line/LP/thora/para/art line/pap smear that most people exceed a fair bit.
-The schedule is variable and people either like it or they don't. The program directors tweak it every year based on resident feedback, but there's no way to make everyone happy. There's a minimal # of 28 hour shifts at the VA (something like 12 total split between your PGY2 and 3 years depending on your exact schedule) and otherwise there's night float but a pretty manageable amount: only 2 weeks total as an intern these recent years, something like 6 or 7 weeks each year as a PGY2 and 3.
-The PGY2/3 have a pseudo X+Y schedule, interns have a traditional clinical schedule.
-Fresno as a city is cheap and is only ~3 hours from SF or LA, within 2 hrs of the coast or mountains.

Minus:
-No food at the VA. There's a fridge with some sandwiches if you're on call, but that's about it. From what I hear, that's fairly typical for a VA though
-You're very busy. Caps are always set at 20 patients per team, and you'll typically hit them on call days q4 at CRMC and q3 at the VA.
-Research is not as big a focus as the major academic programs if that's your thing.

I never used the errand service discussed above, so I can't comment on it. I also was never accused of using drugs (and never heard of any residents being accused of that) so I can't speak to that either. What I can say is that the program will bend over backwards to try to work with any struggling residents. Most of the residents are DO/IMG/FMG, but there's a few US grads each year and I'd say one of the major reasons for that balance is really geography. I personally like Fresno, but it doesn't have the most amazing reputation amongst CA cities.

In addition, I can say that prelims and categoricals are treated completely identically, other than the fact that prelims probably are less expected to do procedures if they don't want to (the anesthesia prelims always did, the derm prelims not so much). Prelims even do a full IM continuity clinic for their year, unlike a lot of programs I've heard of.

If you want to pursue the IM program there, is it worth doing a Sub-I?

Any advice or information about HUMC- Palisades IM residency? Pro's? Con's? Tips? Schedule?

Besides having an amazing view of course

Thank you!

I'd say yes, especially if you're DO or carib. At least a third of the matched categoricals in the years I was there had done subis at the program.

Is being from CA something that you think the programs there look for?

I know that you said the research experiences at UCSF-Fresno are not that great but they are still available correct?

I am from San Diego but know that the two programs I can pursue for IM (Scripps Mercy and Green) as a DO are still going to be quite competitive.

Thank you again for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is being from CA something that you think the programs there look for?

I know that you said the research experiences at UCSF-Fresno are not that great but they are still available correct?

I am from San Diego but know that the two programs I can pursue for IM (Scripps Mercy and Green) as a DO are still going to be quite competitive.

Thank you again for your help!

I would just put in an application and see what happens even if you don't get a response. You'll either get an interview or you won't.

Large dogs

Not sure if they come on here much anymore but @meliora27 may have some incite to one of or both of these programs.

St. Joseph's

Community program, mainly IMG/FMG's. Nice part of town. The fact is, it shares the city with UChicago NW, Rush, UIC, Loyola and it can't compete at the academic level.

NorthShore

Community hospital in Evanston, IL. Great place to be a patient, great place to be a doctor, but probably not the best place to be a resident. Lots of private attendings, limited autonomy for residents. Not at all a resident run hospital. They do have in-house fellowships, but to the best of my knowledge, they don't have a strong track record of matching internal candidates.

Most of the categorical residents are all DO's.

NorthShore has a ton of money, so the hospital runs really well. They have some big name people on staff, but I'm just not sure how great a place it is for a residency if your end goal is a competitive fellowship.

I applied to Mayo's CI (Clinician Investigator) program. This gives you the option of matching categorically and then applying to the CI program in the second year of residency. Does anyone know if you do match into the CI program as a categorical IM resident in the 2nd year, do you still have to do 3 years of residency, or do you do 2.5 years (like if you matched into the CI from the beginning of residency)? Also, does anyone know if it is within the NRMP match (i.e. do you have to interview and apply to other fellowship programs while applying to the CI program in the 2nd year)? Thanks! :)

I was researching South FL programs but only thing that worries me is I see A LOT of Carrib grads which has me hesitant about going there. My Step 1 is pretty crappy so beggars can't necessarily be choosers, but I worry a lot of these places don't have fellowship opportunities or are malignant programs.

I am from FL and interviewed at most FL programs. Go to the websites and look at the fellowship match rates for yourself instead of fearing places with IMGs. Much better way to look at the facts. The top 3 programs of FL have fewer IMGs. UF,USF,UM main campuses. Ironically the closest thing I would call a malignant program in florida that I know of is UM. Good training, Good name, Slave labor, Scut, and Social Work. Although they have a new PD who apparently is an older old school guy with a hatred for DO / IMG's in a hospital filled with IMG attendings. I know so many attendings that didn't have the best time training there. With a sub par step score would consider CCF in weston,fl and UM JFK. Both IMG heavy but respectable places with opportunity.

I know how futile this is but just out of curiosity how do you guys that know of these programs feel about my list thus far. All the schools are the main campus.

Ukentucky
UNebr
UMiss
UFL
UOklahoma
ULouisville
UCONN
WVU
Drexel

I know how futile this is but just out of curiosity how do you guys that know of these programs feel about my list thus far. All the schools are the main campus.

Ukentucky
UNebr
UMiss
UFL
UOklahoma
ULouisville
UCONN
WVU
Drexel
It's mostly futile because you're posting in the wrong thread.

For those who interviewed at UW: Can we apply to/rank multiple tracks? I'm interested in both primary and categorical tracks, with more emphasis on the latter.

For those who interviewed at UW: Can we apply to/rank multiple tracks? I'm interested in both primary and categorical tracks, with more emphasis on the latter.

During my interview day, I think the PD said you could. But I am not 100% sure of the details. This is something I would write them and ask them specifically. I would probably do it sooner rather than later as well, our deadline to certify our rank list is in less than a week.

Any current Temple residents on here? Would love to hear your take on things at the moment

During my interview day, I think the PD said you could. But I am not 100% sure of the details. This is something I would write them and ask them specifically. I would probably do it sooner rather than later as well, our deadline to certify our rank list is in less than a week.

That's what I thought. I will definitely check!

Having a lot of trouble ranking Umass vs. Uni of Louiville, possibly for a GI fellowship, don't care about the location. Here is what I think I know about these:

Umass: better reputation, but cards heavy, 2/28 matched GI this match, faculty/leaders seem more competent

U of Louiville: high GI match rates (6/24 residents, including in-house), residents seem happier

Not sure how much weight I should put on past fellowship data vs. reputation of program.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Having a lot of trouble ranking Umass vs. Uni of Louiville, possibly for a GI fellowship, don't care about the location. Here is what I think I know about these:

Umass: better reputation, but cards heavy, 2/28 matched GI this match, faculty/leaders seem more competent

U of Louiville: high GI match rates (6/24 residents, including in-house), residents seem happier

Not sure how much weight I should put on past fellowship data vs. reputation of program.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You can ignore the "match rate" (for any program), because you don't have the important denominator...how many applied. In my program, my class had 6 apply (5 matched) GI but the year before me only 2 applied (both matched).

Rank them how you liked them.

Reactions: 1 users
You can always ask how many applied if you can get ahold of them before the 22nd. Louisville has a 93% match rate so perhaps 1/2 person didn't land GI worst case scenario.

But yeah it's an important point to compare a program with 100% match rate where only 1 or 2 people do GI to a program where 5 people do GI but the rate is 90%...

Could someone comment on Indiana University's program, especially about their ability to match residents into GI? I got a great vibe during my interview day, loved the county hospital and leadership. But, looking over their match list for GI over the past few years, I wasn't very impressed. I also heard from residents that their in-house GI fellowship only accepts chiefs because they look poorly upon the residency program. Is that true?

Could someone comment on Indiana University's program, especially about their ability to match residents into GI? I got a great vibe during my interview day, loved the county hospital and leadership. But, looking over their match list for GI over the past few years, I wasn't very impressed. I also heard from residents that their in-house GI fellowship only accepts chiefs because they look poorly upon the residency program. Is that true?

Agreed. Very solid IM training, although IIRC each of their training sites uses a different EMR, which irked me a bit.

Fantastic GI program especially in advanced procedures. However, very poor in house match despite having 5 spots/year. Another Midwest program with a similar story is Cinci. Idk if it's the fellowship looking poorly on the residency, as much as it is the fellowship program is just that competitive and applicants from higher tier residencies have an advantage.

Hi everyone! Anyone interview or care to ellaborate about the IM program at Drexel? I'm mostly concerned with and wondering about the work enviornment or if there is any malignancy associated with the program. Also how does it compare to programs like St. Lukes (Bethlehem,PA) Michigan State, and SUNY downstate.

Anyone have updated info on any of these programs Tulane, UAB and Emory? PM me if you prefer, thank you

Hello,
Can someone please give me some input about Flushing Hospital IM program in New York? I only got 2 interviews, one of them was from Flushing. I know beggars can't be choosers but would still like to know anything or everything about the program.
Thanks!

Hello,
Can someone please give me some input about Flushing Hospital IM program in New York? I only got 2 interviews, one of them was from Flushing. I know beggars can't be choosers but would still like to know anything or everything about the program.
Thanks!
What's your other option?

Was wondering if someone could comment on UT Houston in regards to competitive fellowships. Their match list was impressive as of late. I was wondering in light of their recent match list, how does UT Houston compares to the likes of Henry Ford, RWJ, Rush, and UCLA-Harbor?

Thank you for your advice.

Was wondering if someone could comment on UT Houston in regards to competitive fellowships. Their match list was impressive as of late. I was wondering in light of their recent match list, how does UT Houston compares to the likes of Henry Ford, RWJ, Rush, and UCLA-Harbor?

Thank you for your advice.

Henry Ford and Rush are phenomenal places.

Can any one offer advice or what fellowship prospects look like from: Rosalind Franklin North Chicago, RF McHenry, Mercy Chicago, and West Suburban?

Flushing is better than union memorial?

Definitely don't change your list based on what @gutonc is saying. No one has any useful info about either program. I know of both peripherally but that's about it. You better be ranking both though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

1k5tpj.jpg

I need to know any information about this program. Board pass rates, autonomy, didactics structure, etc?
Thank