Program specific personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DerpStore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it encouraged to personalize one's personal statement for specific programs when applying for an IM residency? Or is this not a thing in IM? (please tell me its not a thing).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some do it, I didn't, worked out fine.

IF you do it, make sure you don't screw it up and attach the wrong PS to the wrong program.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it encouraged to personalize one's personal statement for specific programs when applying for an IM residency? Or is this not a thing in IM? (please tell me its not a thing).

Thanks!
The only specialty I'm aware of where it makes a difference is ENT (where it's required).

That said, you could do something like have 2-3 personal statements. For ex, perhaps your personal statement is very research focused, but you don't want to give that impression to your community program backups. It's reasonable to send them an alternative personal statement that doesn't have that research focus.

What I wouldn't do is have a madlib personal statement:

"Ever since I was a little boy, I wanted to live in a city like <insert city name>. A <rural/suburban/urban> location in a <hot/warm> climate..." etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only specialty I'm aware of where it makes a difference is ENT (where it's required).

That said, you could do something like have 2-3 personal statements. For ex, perhaps your personal statement is very research focused, but you don't want to give that impression to your community program backups. It's reasonable to send them an alternative personal statement that doesn't have that research focus.

What I wouldn't do is have a madlib personal statement:

"Ever since I was a little boy, I wanted to live in a city like <insert city name>. A <rural/suburban/urban> location in a <hot/warm> climate..." etc.

What about programs where you have a specific interest? For example, wanting to do research with someone at that institution. Is there a place to put this in the application or save it for the interview?

If you are applying for a research pathway program, or some other special program, a unique personal statement is a good idea. Some of the research pathway programs require it. Otherwise it's mostly a waste of time.