Professional degree before MSTP, WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think many people have been in your situation before so you may not get much advice. Plus, what the director at one program thinks probably doesn't translate into what another director thinks. You're in a unique situation and you can make it work for you or you can make it work against you depending on how you are able to articulate your experiences and how they've led you to this path. You will stand out and I think and lots of places will appreciate that. Every school looks for something different and that's why applicant x with a seemingly perfect application will get an interview somewhere and rejected elsewhere.
But you won't find a list of 25 other people who have done this and have definite "yes, this helped me" or "no, this hurt me" perspectives. To me, it sounds like you need to be more confident and secure in the narrative that has led you to apply md/phd and not worry about how one school views your life choices. Relax, enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 2 users
To be honest, I don't think you should apply to MD-PhD/MSTP. It takes more diligence because you need to ensure the schools have someone who researches in something you're interested in. It's not like MD where you cast a wide net and go where the wind takes you. Given the fact you made the post in the link I provided, it seems to be you want answers to be given to you rather than go look for them yourself. If that's how you are, you won't survive a PhD because if you took the time to google a few medical schools, you'd see a pattern: medical schools that require committee letters only require it if your institution produces them. If not, individual letters can be submitted. All you had to do was think a little and google something like "medical schools that require a committee letter" and look up the schools that pop up on their letter of recommendation requirements.

I am sorry if I sound like an a**hole, but it had to be said.

Which Schools require a committee letter?