Probation during residency and Job/Fellowship prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOLID_SnAkE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a 3rd yr IM resident and I will hopefully complete residency coming June. I was put on probation during early second year for 4 months due to consistent poor evaluation, there was no single incident that let to the probationary status but multiple vague evaluations stating that I did not seem interested and had difficulty with presentations during rounds. I did not harm any patients, was not involved in any issues with my conduct neither was I involved in argument/conflict with any physicians. Any how I was off the probation after 4 months and now in good standing all the attendings and my PD are satisfied with my performance and I am trying to apply for Jobs.
During a recent Job interview I was asked if I had any red flags on my CV to which I replied "NO" as I was not really sure what he wanted to know and I did not voluntarily want to bring up the probation during the interview.
1. How should I answer the question " Have your clinical privileges or employment at any hospital or healthcare institution been voluntary or involuntary subject to probationary or disciplinary conditions?" If yes what explanation should I give.
2.Is my probation going to affect fellowship chances?
3. Should I have brought about my probation when the Doc asked about red flags?

Members don't see this ad.

What you need to do is talk to your program / PD. The question is: is this "event" reportable outside your program? I use two different terms -- remediation = area needing serious improvement, but improvement plan not reportable to outside sources (so if you get better, it's like it didn't happen). Probation = reportable. If it's reportable, you're usually better off disclosing it early in the process. Even if it is reportable, it may not be a catastrophe -- if your PD states in your summary letter that there was this short lived period where your performance was below standards but then it improved and now you're fine, many places will be happy with that.

Reactions: 3 users