Private practice while in military residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spencerhirt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the Navy does not allow moonlighting while in residency training, but is it written anywhere that you cannot run a private practice on the side?

Hear me out.

I am graduating from an osteopathic medical school, and, not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty dang good at OMT. Once licensed (not board certified), is there anything stopping me from running a part-time OMT clinic? Cash-only. No insurance claims. No prescription medications. Keep my own medical records. Of course, I'd have to carry my own malpractice insurance, which may turn out to be a significant obstacle, but all that aside... could the Navy keep me from doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot moonlight as a resident. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think the fact that you are running the business has any bearing on the discussion. It's still moonlighting.

I know that the Navy does not allow moonlighting while in residency training, but is it written anywhere that you cannot run a private practice on the side?

"Moonlighting" is just a slang term we use.

The term the military uses is "off duty employment" and they define it to include any kind of labor you do in exchange for any kind of compensation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now that I think about it, I think even some volunteer work is considered ODE. I'm pretty sure if you volunteer at a free clinic that time has to be approved as ODE by the command.

Now that I think about it, I think even some volunteer work is considered ODE. I'm pretty sure if you volunteer at a free clinic that time has to be approved as ODE by the command.

My old residency PD forced me to quit taking an occasional shift at my old volunteer EMS agency, as he said it was unpaid moonlighting. I only went back there when I was on leave and visiting friends and family, but whatever. The back of the truck wasn't as fun as it used to be, anyway.