Private practice salary offer...is it fair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are looking to do a lot of TARs, then leave podiatry school immediately. There's only a few of us who are qualified to do them, and we have to get privilege from the hospital to do them. So if the hospitals say "no, you're a podiatrist" then guess what? No TARs.

And oh, there's a hospital in my neck of woods that just closed its door a few months ago without informing any of their employees. They also had spaces leased to practitioners (Over 20 last I counted). Unfortunately for one of my pod buddies who just started leasing her space is now jobless.

As crazy as it sounds, this kind of stuff does happen. I guess the best part is there shouldn't be any non compete issues if you were an ex-employee there.
Yikes.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are looking to do a lot of TARs, then leave podiatry school immediately. There's only a few of us who are qualified to do them, and we have to get privilege from the hospital to do them. So if the hospitals say "no, you're a podiatrist" then guess what? No TARs.

And oh, there's a hospital in my neck of woods that just closed its door a few months ago without informing any of their employees. They also had spaces leased to practitioners (Over 20 last I counted). Unfortunately for one of my pod buddies who just started leasing her space is now jobless.

As crazy as it sounds, this kind of stuff does happen. I guess the best part is there shouldn't be any non-compete issues if you were an ex-employee there.

Yeah, I was already under the impression most Pods can't touch ankles prior to applying. Since in NY and the pods in NY can't do them. So, I did get a little excited when I heard some state did allow ankle surgery.

So, basically, there is no real security for sure in any area. I'm sure if you are a good pod you will have steady employment though, not too worried. I also guess this is why both of my podiatrist kids are not going anywhere near medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people still accepting offers like 70K? Some make more than that during residency. Lee Rogers once wrote on these forms...something to the line of having self respect and not accepting offers below 100k and that was years ago. You're better than that. All my close friends accepted offers from 190-240k with hospitals, ortho, vascular and multi-specialty groups.

As for the comment that there aren't a lot of hospital jobs out there...I would have to agree. But this isn't a road block. My job search was really simple. After I decided where I wanted to move, I called all the hospitals and asked if they had any Podiatrists on staff. Some did and a lot didn't. I offered them my services and was invited for an interview and the rest is history.

Sell yourself. You're better than 70K and you're better trained than the older Podiatrist who graduated 15+ years ago with little to no residency training (No disrespect to them, as they did pave the way for us). I hope that the newer generation of Podiatrist and Students reading this will finally stop accepting these atrocious offers.

Reactions: 11 users
1) State laws
2) ABFAS certification/ qualification (you need this)
3) What orthopedists are already on staff there and their past experience with podiatry will dictate what you can do from the start or what you will never do as long as they are on staff

I already assumed I have to escape NY during residency. Thanks for the insight man.

I already assumed I have to escape NY during residency. Thanks for the insight man.
Is podiatry more prevalent in the East coast? It seems most on this forum for pod are from the East. Im from AZ and never heard of it til my cousin applied a few years back and I found one to shadow. Is that how it is in the job market?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I was already under the impression most Pods can't touch ankles prior to applying. Since in NY and the pods in NY can't do them. So, I did get a little excited when I heard some state did allow ankle surgery.

So, basically, there is no real security for sure in any area. I'm sure if you are a good pod you will have steady employment though, not too worried. I also guess this is why both of my podiatrist kids are not going anywhere near medicine.

Most states have Ankle privileges, it's just a matter of proving you did ankles in residency. It also varies more hospital by hospital than state by state. In Texas ankles are allowed, but Texas licensing specifically says, "local hospital rules take precident for ankle privileges."

So get a residency that does ankles, log well and clearly, and you shouldn't have a big issue getting ankle privileges. That has been my experience so far with getting Ankle privileges in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
Most states have Ankle privileges, it's just a matter of proving you did ankles in residency. It also varies more hospital by hospital than state by state. In Texas ankles are allowed, but Texas licensing specifically says, "local hospital rules take precident for ankle privileges."

So get a residency that does ankles, log well and clearly, and you shouldn't have a big issue getting ankle privileges. That has been my experience so far with getting Ankle privileges in Texas.

Did not know it also depended on case log/ experience with ankles. Just because the state allows it does not mean any podiatrist can do it.

Thank you for the clarification.

Ortho/MSG and/or hospitals are the way to go.

Statistics show that > 90% of foot and ankle surgeons (DPMs and ortho) are using Infinity prophecy technology to put their total ankles in.

Where are you getting this "statistic" from?

Talking to my attending who is a consultant for a total ankle replacement made by a well known company and who performs total ankle replacements every week.

That's a high percentage to quote off the cuff. If you spend time around other high volume TAR surgeons or attend conferences AOFAS, etc you would see that isn't the case. In addition, the majority of surgeons that have adopted this technology are familiar and competent in using a standard tibial alignment guide. They just didn't start putting in TARs because there are CT guides available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I train with external tibial alignment guides. What's your point? What are you getting at? How is this contributing to the conversation?

Are you bored and just want to argue with me? Sounds like you have no legitimate data to back up your claims either

Good day

I'm not bored, I just find it interesting that people come to this forum and read advice and opinions from frequent posters who have ZERO experience in actual practice. Yet the things they post are written like they have been practicing for 20+ years but....they are still in residency assisting on cases.

You can make that argument against any resident who posts on here. None of us have "real experience" because none of us actually have a real practice. You clearly have an individual problem with me which is fine. I post about my experiences training with people who have real TAR experience like Christensen and Schuberth. I talk about things that they talk about. That is my experience. I don't make stuff up. If you have real knowledge and experience then by all means use your fingers and drop some knowledge on us.

Whatever, Schuberth and Christensen never put in total ankles... haha

A third year from my program just accepted an offer for 230K plus incentives in the middle of BFE with a good mixture of Clinic/Surgery.
Another third year just accepted a salary of 85k with incentives but its in the very saturated city we live in.

A third year from my program just accepted an offer for 230K plus incentives in the middle of BFE with a good mixture of Clinic/Surgery.
Another third year just accepted a salary of 85k with incentives but its in the very saturated city we live in.
Where is BFE actually at?

What's the scene like in underserved areas, states, communities?

I get a feeling places like New York City, are crowded so it's hard to really nail something down. But what about places like Montana? Wisconsin? Dakotas? Any comments on the pay and demand for podiatrist in places like that?

I don't forsee any (meaningful) romantic relationships, children, or starting a family until late 30s, early 40s, so I'm actually looking for this middle of nowhere type of job offers. Just escape the city scene for a few years and focus on working and learning elsewhere. 5-7 years I can return to NYC and try my luck again.

This is why I shake my head at all those "I have a 2.8gpa can I get into podiatry school?" threads. Yeah you might get in. You will likely fail out and if you do make it through but don't change your habits/just barely scrape by it is not likely to be a good investment. Always exceptions but bottom students get bottom jobs.

this one really hits close to home.... !! Thanks for telling it like it is; needed to hear it

But what about places like Montana? Wisconsin? Dakotas? .

Out of curiosity, are you from NYC and have you ever spent much time in any rural areas such as Montana? It would be a big adjustment for you and the locals both.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to spread a little sunshine regarding ankle privileges & podiatry.

One of the larger hospital systems in my local area recently up'd the scope of autonomy to complete ankle coverage for the pods. However, the new bylaws at this hospital require a 3 year residency & proof of qualification and eventually certification. Pods have been granted admission power as well. I have heard of this happening at a few other places outside of my area as well.

Now, I will say that this area has been accustomed to pods operating in the OR for quite a while & I have to give respect to the older guys in the local system that have opened the door long ago just to get into the OR. I'm sure the fight of the current generation to just increase the scope has been an easier battle in comparison.

Finally, I feel that a new residency grad starting up in an area not accustomed to podiatrists operating at all will have to overcome twice as much to get what he wants. Especially if the area has no pod residency in several several miles. It's my opinion that you just have to be confident in your abilities and kindly inform the hospital committee of your training even if its over a period of time. I personally feel that my residency program trained me well above average in patient management and surgical training. If you trained at a well known hospital and have spent time in the OR under well accredited pods or orthos alike then don't be afraid to kindly state your case to the committee at your new hospital. Please just wait a few days before you start scheduling all your fancy medicaid exfix / TAR cases!

Out of curiosity, are you from NYC and have you ever spent much time in any rural areas such as Montana? It would be a big adjustment for you and the locals both.

Yes, I currently reside in one of NYC's 5 boroughs. I'm also African American so my only concern with a rural place in Montana would be how welcoming they are of minorities esp. African Americans. I wish it [acceptance of minorities] wouldn't be part of the menu but these days it's not really something that can be ignored, you know?

I went to college in a more rural part of upstate NY and the adjustment point you brought up certainly was a factor. Locals up there had different ideas about what dressing well meant versus those of us from the city. I imagine my style will definitely stick out. I think the mass transit public transportation is another adjustment. Housing, diverse group of people you see all the time, cost of living, but I really enjoyed my time in upstate. Only reason I opted out of working and living there after school is that there's really no employment opportunities for a young college grad looking to climb the ladder. There's nothing there. The podiatrist up there was doing really well for himself though. He was the only practice in that area

But I'm ready for something new.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I currently reside in one of NYC's 5 boroughs. I'm also African American so my only concern with a rural place in Montana would be how welcoming they are of minorities esp. African Americans. I wish it [acceptance of minorities] wouldn't be part of the menu but these days it's not really something that can be ignored, you know?

I went to college in a more rural part of upstate NY and the adjustment point you brought up certainly was a factor. Locals up there had different ideas about what dressing well meant versus those of us from the city. I imagine my style will definitely stick out. I think the mass transit public transportation is another adjustment. Housing, diverse group of people you see all the time, cost of living, but I really enjoyed my time in upstate. Only reason I opted out of working and living there after school is that there's really no employment opportunities for a young college grad looking to climb the ladder. There's nothing there. The podiatrist up there was doing really well for himself though. He was the only practice in that area

But I'm ready for something new.

I feel diverse areas like NYC(I'm from Brooklyn now LI) are more racist than Southern and Rural Areas, it's just a lot more subtle(even more blatant a lot of the times). So if you can survive NYC you can do Montana man. I knew a friends mom that wouldn't take her kids to anyone except a Jewish doctor. Blue collar people are much more open to people trying to help, they are the ones who can't easily change their healthcare providers. There will always be people who don't want a Jewish, Asian, Black, Indian, Arab, Persian, White or Something doctor. It is more difficult as a minority doctor to get respect, but this should not stop you from perusing your dreams. We are in a new generation.

Reactions: 6 users
I hear you. I'm a minority who grew up in the western states and my experience has been that not only would you have to deal with racial differences but also eastern U.S./ western U.S. differences. I'd like to send you a private message soon to discuss my thoughts.

I am from Wisconsin and it seems like there are a lot of podiatrist. I live near Appleton and I think there are like 10+ podiatrist in that one city.
What's the scene like in underserved areas, states, communities?

I get a feeling places like New York City, are crowded so it's hard to really nail something down. But what about places like Montana? Wisconsin? Dakotas? Any comments on the pay and demand for podiatrist in places like that?

I don't forsee any (meaningful) romantic relationships, children, or starting a family until late 30s, early 40s, so I'm actually looking for this middle of nowhere type of job offers. Just escape the city scene for a few years and focus on working and learning elsewhere. 5-7 years I can return to NYC and try my luck again.

70k is a low ball offer but 10% take after 3x base is atrocious

I would recommend walking away if ever offered such an amount. 70K? RNs with just an associate's degree make more than that!

Minimum should be at least $180k. And there are plenty in this region of the country.

Reactions: 1 users
A new grad NP/PA is making 80K+ here in NY. For a Pod that salary is an insult compared to the 7 years in training and the 250K+ debt!

A little bit of correction, Dexter. Probably in rural states it would be common for a newly graduated PA with no clinical experience whatsoever. But in New Jersey , a newly graduated PA with no experience, is more around $95k-$100k , not including benefits.

A newly graduated Nurse Practitioner (who has plenty of RN experience) -- they're salary ranges depending on the specialty of focus. Psychiatric mental health Nurse Practitioners usually make more than most, and they usually start them at $130-$135k. Family nurse practitioners who are recent graduates (but have RN experience) will be onboarded at $115-$120k).

In my personal opinion, being offered less than $110k is an insult.

I am really surprised nurse practitioners make that much.

I have a friend working at a clinic as a nurse practitioner and what she told me is that you would be lucky to make 80k as an NP.

A little bit of correction, Dexter. Probably in rural states it would be common for a newly graduated PA with no clinical experience whatsoever. But in New Jersey , a newly graduated PA with no experience, is more around $95k-$100k , not including benefits.

A newly graduated Nurse Practitioner (who has plenty of RN experience) -- they're salary ranges depending on the specialty of focus. Psychiatric mental health Nurse Practitioners usually make more than most, and they usually start them at $130-$135k. Family nurse practitioners who are recent graduates (but have RN experience) will be onboarded at $115-$120k).

In my personal opinion, being offered less than $110k is an insult.

I have a friend working at a clinic as a nurse practitioner and what she told me is that you would be lucky to make 80k as an NP.

It depends on where you practice and also the practitioners' ability to work with the hiring manager(s) in the contract process/ onboarding process. If the practitioner is not aggressive in the contract process, you'll get a lower rate (yikes!), so be able to negotiate.

The national average for nurse practitioners is already at $104k according to the BLS, but this average includes practitioners in low paying states. I think a more accurate rounder would be statistics on practitioner salaries by state or by region. The southern states and midwestern states pay less than say the western or northeast. Also since Nurse Practitioner programs are specialty focused, salary ranges depending on your area of specialty.
For example there are various NP specialty programs:
  1. Family Nurse Practitioner
  2. Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
  3. Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
  4. Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
  5. Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
  6. Obstetrics Nurse Practitioner
  7. Surgical Nurse Practitioner
Some specialties pay more than others. For example, the PMHNPs tend to make more. Average NP salary in New Jersey is around $120k, provided that's usually mixing all specialties. Not including 2nd job data.

Nurse Practitioner Salaries in New Jersey and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

BTW, ive noticed there are some DPMs who have PA license as well, i think having a background as either a Physician Assistant/ Nurse Practitioner gives a podiatrist a broader area of practice as one can tap into work opportunity in general medicine. Can evade the scope of practice limitations imparted on DPMs by some states.

Oh, well when you bring up two jobs I would certainly hope that they would make 100k!

I remember looking online at Salary.com in my area and the pay was around 90K and so I asked my friend who was a nurse practitioner and she told me that she was making around 70k. Now, she didn't go into wether or not she had paid time off or any other benefits either, but hmmm.

Yeah, Nurse Anesthetists salaries are ridiculous. they make so much money!

I do think that having an NP in addition to the DPM is a great way to go! There are a lot of diabetics that need to be medically managed.

@GypsyHummus , what Nurse Practitioners make working 2 jobs , is what Nurse Anesthetists make working 1 job, lol.

$200k + working 12 hours 3x a week, with 4 days off? :)

You could work 2 jobs and rake $350k - $400k easy. Easy.

Certified Nurse Anesthetist Salaries in New Jersey and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

Oh, well when you bring up two jobs I would certainly hope that they would make 100k!

I remember looking online at Salary.com in my area and the pay was around 90K and so I asked my friend who was a nurse practitioner and she told me that she was making around 70k. Now, she didn't go into wether or not she had paid time off or any other benefits either, but hmmm.

Yeah, Nurse Anesthetists salaries are ridiculous. they make so much money!

I do think that having an NP in addition to the DPM is a great way to go! There are a lot of diabetics that need to be medically managed.
I wonder why NP2DPM was banned

Reactions: 3 users
Too bad the mods are under no obligation the exaplain why NP2DPM was banned :shrug:

Ya, I read the posts the M.D. students were saying and they were being very arrogant and he wasn't really being rude or anything. Don't understand why he was. He contributed very well I thought.

Yeah, he said like 5 times "nursing school isn't comparable to physician training" but they were ruthless and jumped all over him. That was a really annoying thread to read

Yeah, he said like 5 times "nursing school isn't comparable to physician training" but they were ruthless and jumped all over him. That was a really annoying thread to read
Agreed. If anything the M.D. student should have banned. His school must not teach professionalism at all....

Ya, I read the posts the M.D. students were saying and they were being very arrogant and he wasn't really being rude or anything. Don't understand why he was. He contributed very well I thought.

You know those folks who come in a little too friendly and can't really read the atmosphere or tact?
Almost comes off as "My assets are valuable to this forum and should be taken as fact." sort of thing?

Whether they were intentionally exuding it or just oblivious, that was what they showed.

I really thought you get a warning or something before the actual ban.

Just stick to the pod forums and we all should be good!

Banning of that poster is really ridiculous. I am unsure how the moderators can get away with that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Tbh, the SDN moderation this year has been pretty lunatic, overall. Good or bad, many of the older users on the MD/DO forums have left this site due to such restrictions.
I don't think Np2DPM was given a warning call and got banned, and that is pretty ridiculous.

I wonder why NP2DPM was banned

Too bad the mods are under no obligation the exaplain why NP2DPM was banned :shrug:

It appears that the user in question was felt to be trolling in the Anesthesia forums in regards to CRNA vs AA; this has long been a very contentious topic. Whether the user was trolling or oblivious, it is a lesson to understand the culture of a site before trying to "tell it like it is".

Tbh, the SDN moderation this year has been pretty lunatic, overall. Good or bad, many of the older users on the MD/DO forums have left this site due to such restrictions.

Actually there were 3.

Two of them had over 10 warnings yet continued to violate the TOS. The 3rd had several warnings and private discussions with staff in which he stated he understood the reasons for his administrative warnings.

None of them have "left" SDN. They are all still logging on and 2 of the 3 are still posting. As a matter of fact, during the time all 3 claimed to have left SDN they were still "liking" all the posts begging them to stay.

Let's not make this more dramatic than it needs to be.

I don't think Np2DPM was given a warning call and got banned, and that is pretty ridiculous.

You would have no way of knowing as warnings are not visible to regular users, only staff.

The staff works hard and sometimes mistakes will be made but I've never known someone to be malicious about it. The vast vast majority of users are able to adhere to the TOS and have never been subject to any administrative action against their account.

It appears that the user in question was felt to be trolling in the Anesthesia forums in regards to CRNA vs AA; this has long been a very contentious topic. Whether the user was trolling or oblivious, it is a lesson to understand the culture of a site before trying to "tell it like it is".

Actually there were 3.

Two of them had over 10 warnings yet continued to violate the TOS. The 3rd had several warnings and private discussions with staff in which he stated he understood the reasons for his administrative warnings.

None of them have "left" SDN. They are all still logging on and 2 of the 3 are still posting. As a matter of fact, during the time all 3 claimed to have left SDN they were still "liking" all the posts begging them to stay.

Let's not make this more dramatic than it needs to be.

You would have no way of knowing as warnings are not visible to regular users, only staff.

The staff works hard and sometimes mistakes will be made but I've never known someone to be malicious about it. The vast vast majority of users are able to adhere to the TOS and have never been subject to any administrative action against their account.

Just a question here, is this the thread why that user was banned:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...d-deserve-their-salary.1197342/#post-19154236

If it is then why is it that then only Np2dpm got banned and everyone else who acted/responded to him/her the same way, like using the same language are still active members? I am talking about users like, "Wiscoblue".

Is it because Np2dpm was reported to you guys and other users were not?

Thanks for your input.

Just a question here, is this the thread why that user was banned:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...d-deserve-their-salary.1197342/#post-19154236

If it is then why is it that then only Np2dpm got banned and everyone else who acted/responded to him/her the same way, like using the same language are still active members? I am talking about users like, "Wiscoblue".

Is it because Np2dpm was reported to you guys and other users were not?

Thanks for your input.
As I was not directly involved, I cannot say for certain but that thread was contentious and we received complaints about it.

We are discussing the action amongst staff so I can get more information. But suffice it to say that going into a specialty forum, with established users, and posting with possible intent to inflame, will generally not end well.

You guys know this...it would be no different if an MD came in here and tried to tell you they were better than you. Inappropriate and TOS violating.

Better watch yourself anklebreaker, or you'll be next!

So it's ok for the ignorant allopathic posters in that thread to bash podiatry?

I've been a LONG time poster on these forums and was even a moderator once....

I see NOTHING in the thread where NP 2 DPM started a flame war. I only see a bunch of allopathic posters bashing and jumping all over NP 2 DPM and bashing podiatry in general.

The thread is an embarrassment and so are the moderators who over see it. It's completely unprofessional and I would LOVE to see any of the posters talk to me face to face like that in my hospital!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As I was not directly involved, I cannot say for certain but that thread was contentious and we received complaints about it.

We are discussing the action amongst staff so I can get more information. But suffice it to say that going into a specialty forum, with established users, and posting with possible intent to inflame, will generally not end well.

You guys know this...it would be no different if an MD came in here and tried to tell you they were better than you. Inappropriate and TOS violating.
The thread asked about a nursing specialty... he was an NP who had a lot of experience in the nursing field, so he gave his experiences and opinions. People shouldnt report or ban someone because they dont like the info. Its not like he went on some random thread about anesthesiologists and started bringing up how CRNAs are the same thing. OP asked a question about CRNAs and he responded. What was he supposed to do? Be silent? Well then whats the point of the forums and asking questions if youre only going to get one sided, biased responses?

He also didnt say he was better. He said multiple times that nursing education doesnt compare to medical school. However, he was giving a realistic view of where the nursing profession is.

Side note: that wiscoblue seems like a huge corndog

He/she definitely deserved to get banned. He bumped an old crappy thread. That's 3 strikes right there. Forum death penalty.

All that aside - I know this forum has its own moderation style, but I personally think there's something to be said for "locking" necro bumps of things that have played their course. That thread was initially started with essentially a rant, in 2016. It played out - people stopped posting. But then along comes someone to bump it and set the world straight. Things just go down hill from there. Call it too much moderation but I posit it would lead to fewer bannings!