Pritzker vs. Stanford vs. Harvard vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mushmallow

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With only 4 days left to make the decision, I thought I'd come to SDN for any last minute wisdom. First, I'm completely thrilled about these options and one year ago, would have never guessed I would have these choices!

Pritzker (full tuition merit aid)
+ loved everything about the community during interviews and Second Look
+ best offer financially
+ small class of 88 - this is important to me!
+ focus on service
+/- Lecture based. I think I prefer this, but I don't know for sure since I've never had anything else

- Least prestigious of my choices.
- I definitely don't want to stay in the Midwest forever and fear my matching options
- I feel like Hyde Park isn't very connected to the rest of the city (correct me if I'm wrong)

Stanford (decent aid)
+ very supportive community
+ small class size of 90
+ Palo alto weather
+ As much research as I can handle - granted this is true for all of my choices but definitely more significant here
+ flexible schedule and curriculum
+ Prestige that opens doors

- Little outreach needs in Palo Alto
- Pretty far from SF
- Significant part of class doesn't match
- Cost of living in the Bay Area in addition to not having the best financial aid

Harvard Pathways (s*** aid)
+ Actually really loved second look - seems like a supportive class.
+ Most prestigious of my options. It will be hard not going here knowing that I could have. Am I passing something up that I will regret?
+ research opportunities
+ It's in a city that is walkable and has more reliable public transportation
+ Excellent matching prospects

- Cost. This is the most expensive option by far.
- pretty huge class especially when you count the dental students and the HST guys.
- Basically can't start doing research until year 3

UPenn (decent scholarship)
+ Cost is pretty low compared to the other top-5 schools
+ Match list is insane
+ Liked this curriculum the most. Seems the most flexible and most aligned with my learning style.
+ Plenty of opportunity for outreach in Philly

- definitely did not feel as connected during second look.
- The students seemed a little bit more competitive and high strung than at other schools. They also were really quick to talk badly about other top 5 programs.
- large class size
- GRADES

I want to end up on one of the Coasts for residency and don't think I'm interested in a super competitive specialty. I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on what I've gotten right or wrong about the pro/cons. Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: Prestige is not a make or break factor for me. I would love to hear anyone's opinion on how much the name really does for you in the long run!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I voted Harvard based on match and because you brought up prestige, but I'd personally go to Pritzker based on cost, and if you're not interested in a competitive specialty. I also voted Harvard because you mentioned you don't want to stay in the Midwest forever. If you do well, you can go almost anywhere with Harvard, even rank-queen schools.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the actual difference in total COA? bc I might be team Pritzker

You might find this Harvard vs. UCSF thread helpful. Makes a lot of good points about Harvard's prestige in the medical community.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of debt, Pritzker would mean 0, Stanford would be ~180k, Harvard ~200k+, UPenn ~140k

180k vs 200k (Stanford vs Harvard) is lunch money, and I don't think 60k (Penn vs Harvard) is enough to make it the deciding factor either.

Is Pritzker $0, (as in free, full COA scholarship) or full tuition scholarship + you pay for COL?

Last edited:
Oh that completely changes my opinion. 180k vs 200k (Stanford vs Harvard) is lunch money, and I don't think 60k (Penn vs Harvard) is enough to make it the deciding factor either.

Is Pritzker $0, (as in free, full COA scholarship) or full tuition scholarship + you pay for COL?

Full tuition, but I would not have to take loans for COL, so effectively 0$

Full disclosure: on Stanford and Pritzker waitlist. That being said, your cons for Harvard are not really cons. You seem to care a lot about prestige so I say Harvard. Cost difference is not significant unless you choose Pritzker. Big class size isn't going to affect you with PBL and HMS has societies anyway. The research con is at best a half con. Most students do fine there.

200k+interest is a lot of money for the bump in prestige of Harvard vs Pritzker. Not going to argue that there isn't a difference, but Pritzker is a top-tier institution with incredible research and clinical opportunities. There is no door open to you at HMS that will be closed to you at Pritzker and 200k+interest is a lot of money.

But, HMS is probably one of the schools that might be worth considering that kind of debt. Not sure it's worth it over Pritzker, but that's probably a matter of personal preference. You're going to have an easier time matching at Harvard from HMS since institutions always favor their own, but if you're going into something super competitive, this might matter less since the competition is so steep and even coming from the very top, you have to apply very broadly (look at derm, rad onc matches at these schools). For something like IM (where only the top end is uber competitive and Harvard has three powerhouse programs) it will probably matter more, although Pritzker students still match in decent numbers to Harvard/JH/UCSF. Deciding based on specialty might not be useful, however, since interests change.

edit: also questionable that Chicago is the midwest. I mean kindasorta but it's a major city. I don't think it's going to pigeonhole you in anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What part of the country do you see yourself trying to match at? Are you planning to specialize or is there a chance of something like FM/peds (this one for debt considerations)?

I will second the post above about Harvard definitely not opening any doors for you beyond Stanford or Penn, however they inbreed to a disgusting level. If you'd want to match MGH/BWH for pretty much anything, they give you a big leg up there.

I would also not consider the costs differences between Harvard/STanford/Penn to be significant. You need to first figure out if you want Pritzker for cheap vs a coastal top name. Personally for me the big factors here would be location on the small scale (not a great part of Chicago) and large scale (midwest in a frigid part), and whether you're aiming for an extremely competitive, extremely academic/research oriented residency down the line.

What part of the country do you see yourself trying to match at? Are you planning to specialize or is there a chance of something like FM/peds (this one for debt considerations)?

I will second the post above about Harvard definitely not opening any doors for you beyond Stanford or Penn, however they inbreed to a disgusting level. If you'd want to match MGH/BWH for pretty much anything, they give you a big leg up there.

I would also not consider the costs differences between Harvard/STanford/Penn to be significant. You need to first figure out if you want Pritzker for cheap vs a coastal top name. Personally for me the big factors here would be location on the small scale (not a great part of Chicago) and large scale (midwest in a frigid part), and whether you're aiming for an extremely competitive, extremely academic/research oriented residency down the line.

I want to match to CA or the Northeast. I don't know exactly what I'll specialize in, but it probably wont be Peds/FM. I don't think Hyde Park is that bad, so that's not a huge factor for me. Considering I loved Pritzker/Harvard/Stanford equally, my preference then comes down to what connections each can offer me in the long run.
Something that a Harvard student told me keeps echoing in my head is, "it's so hard to get into the Harvard institution, why would you give it up and then have to fight so hard for it again when you match?" Is there merit to this statement?

"it's so hard to get into the Harvard institution, why would you give it up and then have to fight so hard for it again when you match?" Is there merit to this statement?
I mean...only if you dream of matching Harvard. Much like at the med school level, their residencies do have competitors. If you'd be just as happy matching at Hopkins, UCSF etc you certainly aren't disadvantaging yourself compared to HMS grads by attending Stanford or Penn for med school. The advantages to care about when you're comparing schools in the stratosphere is pretty much just to their home institution, or maybe the region if they are different (like Stanford wins if you 100% want to match CA).

If you want to match to a coast and plan to specialize and aren't that averse to an average debt level (~180k) then I'd be choosing between Stanford and Harvard

Something that a Harvard student told me keeps echoing in my head is, "it's so hard to get into the Harvard institution, why would you give it up and then have to fight so hard for it again when you match?" Is there merit to this statement?

This statement assumes that 1) it's harder to get into Harvard than peer institutions and 2) that Harvard is the preferred choice over peer institutions. I'd argue both of these are false. Admissions is pretty random. HMS is probably full of people rejected at Yale, Penn, UCSF, Random State U, etc. There are also many people who choose other schools over Harvard. Same thing for residency programs. Match lists are impossible to read, but plenty of people from HMS leave Harvard (presumably some are doing so willingly) and plenty students from other schools who interview at HMS do not put them first on their rank list.

So, talking to HMS students keep in mind you are hearing the opinions of people who got into Harvard and chose to go to Harvard and thus probably think it's pretty great and worth going to.

edit: basically what @efle said

Just to add some confirmation to the above, almost all members of the Top 10 med schools have yield rates of 40-60% (that is, they all matriculate about half the people they offer positions to).

Mathematically speaking, it is not possible whatsoever for the top schools to all be competing for the same pool of a few hundred admitted people, considering their yields are that high. Rather, almost everybody at a top school got into one or two peers (or none) but rejected from a bunch of others.

Like even you OP - you got into Harvard and Stanford, but maybe not Hopkins or UCSF? Does that mean these are harder to get in to, or better? Def not. Just like with the most competitive colleges or the most competitive residencies, there is no one best place.

OP, I don't see how Pritzker would deter you from matching at a coastal program. I mean, it was a top 10 school a year ago!! :laugh: (jesting of course)

But seriously, I also echo @efle's sentiments i.e. if you can deal with the debt, pick the coastal school that's better suited for your long term goals.

Regardless, congrats on the Pritzker scholarship and an awesome cycle!