PRITE Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medflava

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any advice on on PRITE preparation for the new income interns?

Members don't see this ad.

Study for the boards instead. Don't study for PRITE. If I were to do it again, I would use Psychiatry Test Preparation and Review Manual. 3rd edition, by J. Clive Spiegel and John M. Kenny. Then when it is time to study for the boards, you will realize that you already studied what you need.

Reactions: 1 users
Study for the boards instead. Don't study for PRITE. If I were to do it again, I would use Psychiatry Test Preparation and Review Manual. 3rd edition, by J. Clive Spiegel and John M. Kenny. Then when it is time to study for the boards, you will realize that you already studied what you need.

I tried this. It was a frustrating experience because the 3rd edition has so many errors. But for PRITE it's alright, not for the board exam though.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was an intern, our program told us that PRITE means nothing, the only thing we need is to improve our scores for the next year. I am generally good at test taking and had high USMLE scores. But I did not study at all for PRITE. My score was the lowest of the whole program, and for the rest of the year I got lots of feedbacks that I need to improve my knowledge on psychopharmacology, I am not good at knowledge base, etc. And this year, I studied for it (not too much, maybe for a couple of weeks). And my score was in the top three in my program. And suddenly, my program started to say that I am really good at psychopharmacology, psychiatric diagnosis, neuropsychiatry, etc. My advice is do not spend too much time on this, but it is not true that PRITE scores are not important.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was an intern, our program told us that PRITE means nothing, the only thing we need is to improve our scores for the next year. I am generally good at test taking and had high USMLE scores. But I did not study at all for PRITE. My score was the lowest of the whole program, and for the rest of the year I got lots of feedbacks that I need to improve my knowledge on psychopharmacology, I am not good at knowledge base, etc. And this year, I studied for it (not too much, maybe for a couple of weeks). And my score was in the top three in my program. And suddenly, my program started to say that I am really good at psychopharmacology, psychiatric diagnosis, neuropsychiatry, etc. My advice is do not spend too much time on this, but it is not true that PRITE scores are not important.

Heh I had the inverse experience. I was not good at USMLE but have consistently crushed the PRITE. Faculty all see the scores and talk. I definitely got a leg up in respect based on the scores and maybe cut a little more slack due to this perception. They ultimately do not mean much but it's never a bad thing to do well on them.

Not so long ago, PRITE was to be confidential and only between the PD and resident. Now it is the medical knowledge tool that is shared at all Clinical competency committees that are full of faculty. Of course, some programs have had site visitors ding them for having old PRITE copies lying around and the ACP is selling old copies on line so there is also that. Organizations are not on the same page very often.

Didn't study at all for the PRITE as a PGY-1. Frankly I didn't study at all as a PGY-2 either. At my program PRITE scores are important insofar as you don't do extremely poorly. They are otherwise pretty unimportant as far as I can tell.

PRITE is a meaningless exam with poor psychometric properties. If you are paying attention to/reading about your patients, keep tabs on the literature, and remember basic doctor stuff from med school/your neuro rotations you should not have any issues. It's a pretty straightforward exam

I guess there is some literature correlating it with board passing, but after residency if you can't pass your boards with studying, then you probably shouldn't be in practice at all (especially given the extraordinary number of incompetent board certified psychiatrists).

The PRITE was revised this past year with more neuroscience, genetics, etc and less crap like "Which stage of Winnicott" or "according to object relations theory...", which made it more tolerable

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's one of the untold things of residency that PRITE scores do actually matter in how you are perceived by the department, regardless of the actual merit of the exam (which I agree, is really minimal).

is ninja prite still pretty valid? Any question banks/books good for prite? I've always learned better through questions

I thought was weird that the PRITE this year had a bunch of random high school biology genetics questions that they just straight up asked and didn't even attempt to relate to psychiatry or medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Our program offered $1000 in our education fund if we got above the 95th percentile, suddenly 4 of us in a mid/low tier university program were considered psychiatric Gods by faculty because we studied old exams and pulled it off. The next year scores plummeted program wide because they did not renew the incentive. The point is that the test is not a true measure of knowledge (one of us 4 eventually failed the boards on the first attempt), but a scorecard used by out of touch academics. My advice: get the old exams, study Kaplan and Saddock and keep the program administrators off your back.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

is ninja prite still pretty valid? Any question banks/books good for prite? I've always learned better through questions

The group that writes the PRITE will sell you old question books. They're somewhat expensive but that's the only "genuine" source of questions that I know of.

The group that writes the PRITE will sell you old question books. They're somewhat expensive but that's the only "genuine" source of questions that I know of.

Nick, anything else you recommend that can help with prite exam? Im sure you did pretty well. I know people advocate not studying but after reading some stories on here I don't want to be that one guy who bombs it, lol. Plus my step 3 will be over in august anyways

Nick, anything else you recommend that can help with prite exam? Im sure you did pretty well. I know people advocate not studying but after reading some stories on here I don't want to be that one guy who bombs it, lol. Plus my step 3 will be over in august anyways

I have yet to study for PRITE so I really have no advice to offer to be honest. Both times I've done well. I would suggest what others have said, namely, reading about your patients, self-assessing your weaknesses and making efforts to learn about those topics on your own, and always looking for more to learn. That's the strategy I've used and it's seemingly worked pretty well.

Thank you all for your input. I heard a good PRITE score is required if I were to do moonlighting in my senior year. But at the same time I want to impress the faculty because I don't want to be on their bad side. As mentioned by someone on this thread, I desire to have that positive image by the faculty.

Thank you all for your input. I heard a good PRITE score is required if I were to do moonlighting in my senior year. But at the same time I want to impress the faculty because I don't want to be on their bad side. As mentioned by someone on this thread, I desire to have that positive image by the faculty.
Show up on time, don't complain about small stuff, reply to emails promptly.
Does it for me.

PRITE Genius. My former program signed up and built a whole PRITE prep course from it. They love it. Great price too for all residents. Google it.

ninja prite is free.

The PRITE has a nonzero, nontrivial correlation to not sucking, but it's still a pretty low to moderately effective tool at guaging resident quality or knowledge level. I've never had a good resident who did truly poorly on the PRITE. I've had 1-2 bad ones that had stellar PRITE scores though.

Reactions: 2 users
We tried ninja prite. It only took us so far. To compare ninja prite to prite genius is like comparing, I don't know, a kitten to a panther. You get what you pay for.

Is paying for a worthless exam a good use of your limited income?

It's not entirely worthless though. I've seen my stock value rise quite significantly within the program after I did very well last year. For better or worse, this exam is still seen as the best way to gauge knowledge during residency. This is obviously very program dependent, but some it's also important for some PDs to have good overall scores for their classes. It's not such a terrible idea to invest for a good score in the PRITE, even though I do think it's a pretty crappy exam.

It's not entirely worthless though. I've seen my stock value rise quite significantly within the program after I did very well last year.

What worth does your stock have in the eyes of yourself and your program? Does it affect your ability to moonlight?

It doesn't affect future job prospects upon graduation.

I was a habitual 90% plus PRITE scorer. Not sure it changed much for me except now I'm faculty people want me to do the PRITE prep lectures. Which I see as a negative

Reactions: 4 users
Cheer up masterofmonkeys, creating a course to fill a training need is exactly the kind of thing your peers need to write about why your appointment should be advanced and you have probably done 90% of the work.

Cheer up masterofmonkeys, creating a course to fill a training need is exactly the kind of thing your peers need to write about why your appointment should be advanced and you have probably done 90% of the work.

Anyone know how to create a review course from PRITE genius? If anyone has seen this done at their program, describing how you guys set it up would be much appreciated.

I have not paid it any attention and did worse this year than first year. Now, I am looked at as more stupid lol. My PD seems to think this thing matters so I want and need to do better. Also, it is tied to moonlighting and I really want to do this. Need to know a source than can help me improve because I suck at both neuro and genetics which killed me. But I also dont have time to study insanely either. Suggestions?

Anyone know how to create a review course from PRITE genius? If anyone has seen this done at their program, describing how you guys set it up would be much appreciated.

PRITE Genius now lets you print all the table of contents for each section or you can have the TOC open in a new window which makes for easy reference as you go through the study guides. Our program director basically printed all the TOC for us, and every Wednesday the residents meet for a "PRITE review class" and he has PRITE Genius open on his laptop connected to an overhead screen (some of us follow along on our laptops) and it has worked very well for us. We even scheduled out each topic by week. Now they are telling new recruits to our program that we offer a PRITE prep class, which i think is very cool.

I know my score went up last year after going through like 200 pages of it over a couple months. It's a pretty solid deal - kinda cheap for a whole year's access i think.

PRITE Genius now lets you print all the table of contents for each section or you can have the TOC open in a new window which makes for easy reference as you go through the study guides. Our program director basically printed all the TOC for us, and every Wednesday the residents meet for a "PRITE review class" and he has PRITE Genius open on his laptop connected to an overhead screen (some of us follow along on our laptops) and it has worked very well for us. We even scheduled out each topic by week. Now they are telling new recruits to our program that we offer a PRITE prep class, which i think is very cool.

I know my score went up last year after going through like 200 pages of it over a couple months. It's a pretty solid deal - kinda cheap for a whole year's access i think.

Is this a paid advertisement for PRITE genius?

I have not paid it any attention and did worse this year than first year. Now, I am looked at as more stupid lol. My PD seems to think this thing matters so I want and need to do better. Also, it is tied to moonlighting and I really want to do this. Need to know a source than can help me improve because I suck at both neuro and genetics which killed me. But I also dont have time to study insanely either. Suggestions?

The only advice that I have received from others in my program that actually studied were to buy and do the old PRITE exams, read Ninja PRITE, and, if you’re up to it, read the commonly recommended texts (Kaplan and Sadock, Kaufman’s, whatever psychopharmacology reference text of your choice). I’ve tried myself to find something that seems reasonably high quality for PRITE review but I have yet to be successful.

Getting and reading old PRITE Exams will gain you 400 factoids a year. You may find the time high yield because they may modify but repeat some questions. You will be taking the boards however and it is much better to learn psychiatry if you are working towards being a psychiatrist. The PRITE is not intended to be a curriculum. If you read Kaplan and Sadock and a psychopharm book, you will do well on PRITE and actually understand psychiatry much better. It takes more work, but you will be more likely to know what you are doing.

Looks like PRITE Genius a couple days ago started converting everything over to a web-friendly format. In my account the new topic lessons are actually integrated into pages of the website which is like 100% better than the old PDF style. I have NO more zooming issues. This is MUCH better. Very easy to read on my Mac and PC.... and wait, is this what I think it is... interactive multiple choice questions of past PRITE questions.

Hooray!

Last edited:
So is Prite Genius just a compilation of old questions and explanations? What’s in the study guide sections?

No, it's not just questions and answers. From what I can tell, it's hundreds upon hundreds of pages of psychiatric information, prite questions and answers, all organized by topics. There's tables, long paragraphs, bulleted lists, it's rather impressive. There are lots and lots of prite questions, all with explanations, some with long long explanations because it looks like they tied in review material to those explanations. If the prite question is about, for example, delirium, then the explanation can become a page-long discussion about all the causes of delirium - that kind of thing.

the new sections look cool. they present all the review study material first (in weekly lessons), and then you can launch the interactive multiple choice prite questions. hope this helps.