Preventive medicine residency choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcham

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to Preventive Medicine Programs for next year and have been accepted into several programs but I'm having a tough time choosing between three great residencies- University of North Carolina, UCSD, and Johns Hopkins (interviewed at and awaiting response). I've made a list of pro's and cons for each program:

University of California San Diego:
Pros- Located in Southern California. The American Journal of Prev. Med is Headquartered there. Have there own division of Prev. Med
Cons- Not well connected to CDC. Associated with San Diego State School of Public Health

University of North Carolina
Pros-great school of public health. Program Director is well known. Closer to policy centers in DC and the CDC.
Cons- small program (only 3 residents). Headquartered within the Division of Social Medicine

Johns Hopkins (if accepted)
Pros- great school of public health. Opportunity to do international work. Great reputation, program director is incoming ACPM president.
Cons- only pay residents 22,000 per year- would have to take out loans. If want to do research outside of the set practicum rotations I have to secure funding in order to do so.

I was hoping to get your input on these programs and if you had any personal experience with any.

Members don't see this ad.

Too bad no one responded. So where did you end up going? I'm applying next year and am quite interested in these same programs. I would add to my top three the Mt Sinai program, and honorable mention would be U of Michigan (but my ratings are only on paper/online as I know very little about actual "climate" of the programs). JH really only pays $22K a year?

Too bad no one responded. So where did you end up going? I'm applying next year and am quite interested in these same programs. I would add to my top three the Mt Sinai program, and honorable mention would be U of Michigan (but my ratings are only on paper/online as I know very little about actual "climate" of the programs). JH really only pays $22K a year?

Yep. Prev-med is not funded the same way as most other residencies, so there isn't a guarantee that PM residents will be paid at the same rate as peers at the same institution. JH is the largest program and definitely a great place for training (and networking opportunities). But, I believe that you're paid at graduate student assistant wages. I can't say for sure that that's how residents are viewed there (as "students", rather than clinicians), but that was a feeling I got from some peers.