Preventive Med/Occupational Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirkadirka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about what opportunities are available for someone doing a residency in preventive med? Also, how likely is it that you can still treat patients clinically? Same questions for the fellowship in occupational med.

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

although the minimum postgraduate training iin order to be eligible to apply for an occupational medicine residency is stated to be one year, does anyone know of any programs that will ACTUALLY accept someone who has not already completed a residency (i.e. internal medicine, family practice, etc)??

Members don't see this ad :)
prominence said:
bump. any replies?

It is my understanding that occupational med is a subspecialty of a preventive med residency. the residency is 2 years post internship year and the occ med fellowship is 1 year.

I am in the practicum year of a preventive med residency.

Typically programs are total of 3 yrs:
clinical yr: prelim/transitional year
MPH yr: may be waived at some programs if you already have this while some others (eg hopkins) only take their own MPH.
Practicum yr:varies according to program ...may be structured rotations e.g DOH etc. or unstructured where you pick an area and do whatever you want (or can find) in that area.

Occupational medicine is not a fellowship of preventive medicine, but rather its own residency (ie you do not have to do PM to do Occ Med). I don't know as much about this field except that is more focused and has its own very specific knowledge base whereas preventive medicine has much overlap with public health and some clinical medicine.

What type of work are folks who've completed Prev Med residencies doing? Off the top of my head, I think of epidemiologic research (but only because I know that's a part of public health).

mackie said:
What type of work are folks who've completed Prev Med residencies doing? Off the top of my head, I think of epidemiologic research (but only because I know that's a part of public health).
Here's a link to a slideshow on it: http://www.acpm.org/cipm.htm

But the text on their page says:
What do Preventive Medicine physicians do?
Physicians who are board certified in Preventive Medicine hold a variety of positions from chief medical officers of private corporations, to directors of state/local health departments, to policy makers within governmental organizations, to program developers for multi-national NGOs, to many other positions (see the “Careers in Preventive Medicine” slide show). Career paths include managed care, public health, occupational medicine, aerospace medicine, clinical medicine, informatics, policy development, academic medicine, international medicine, and research. These positions are located in all levels of government, educational institutions, organized medical care programs in industry, as well as voluntary health agencies and professional health organizations. Preventive Medicine physicians operate in a variety of settings, but common to these settings is an approach to health that looks at systemic and population-based interventions to improve the health of individuals.

I start Prev Med at UNC Chapel Hill this July. I finished a PGY 1 year in General Surgery, and have been a Navy doctor (GMO/Flight doc) for 7 years.

I also applied (and was eligible) for residencies at UC San Diego, Hopkins, Maryland, and VCU.

When I finish, I'll be a Navy PM doc.

Hope that helps. Good luck -

Trix MD

So, as someone else wrote, what is the situation with applying with the minimum 1 year post grad training? Do programs prefer those with previous residency training?

HessExpress said:
So, as someone else wrote, what is the situation with applying with the minimum 1 year post grad training? Do programs prefer those with previous residency training?

I went to UNC Chap's site, and their program does prefer folks who have completed a residency, but they still give consideration to those with only an intern year.

I was gonna start a separate thread but my questions are basically similar to what had been asked here.

Do you have to do a prelim year to do preventive or occupational medicine? Can you do residency in something non-primary care and then get board certified after practicing in your field for a while? How competitive are those fields? Is it hard to find work after being licensed? Is the residency itself competitive?

I was gonna start a separate thread but my questions are basically similar to what had been asked here.

Do you have to do a prelim year to do preventive or occupational medicine? Can you do residency in something non-primary care and then get board certified after practicing in your field for a while? How competitive are those fields? Is it hard to find work after being licensed? Is the residency itself competitive?

Yes - you need to have 1 clinical year of experience to apply to PM or OM. It seems like most do IM, peds, or FP, but you could do any prelim or a transition year. *Some* programs require that you finish a full residency first, but those are by far in the minority.

Yes - it's not that uncommon for people to have experience in something else, even for several years. I think there are even people who have done pathology. But, you still may not want to wait too long from the rest of your medical training. You still want to have fresh clinical skills, and you have to have completed all the USMLE steps to get licensed (probably not an issue if you were working in another medical speciality, but may be a consideration if you were doing something non-clinical for several years).

I'm not sure how to answer the question about how competitive that they are (compared to other disciplines). Since all (?nearly all) PM or OM programs interview people who are "PGY-1" or more senior, they don't participate in the match. So, the data comparing recent med grads in other fields isn't readily avaiable (as far as I know). That being said, I don't really know many people who wanted to get into the fields and who were not able to find a spot that they were pleased with. I even was checking out programs "off cycle" and some places offered me interviews (I think I was inquiring around April for spots that would have started in Jun/July). There aren't that many programs and spots... but there aren't that many applicants vying for those spots either. Unfortunately, the funding for these spots is also not tied to CMS (Medicare / Medicaid), so things seem precarious (at least, to me). But, most argue that we need more PM docs (particularly with the Affordable Care Act). OM has slightly different funding, and definitely has more spots / programs. And, in both fields, there are some programs that are clearly more competitive than others.

On finding work after finishing... ACPM (I linked to them above) has job boards and email bulletins that I get. There are a lot of OM job announcements - in a broad array of communities. PM spots are a little less obvious... but, being dual-boarded (say, IM/PM) can add a lot of job security.

I can only speak for my program with authority, but it seems to me that a lot of PM/OM residents are happy, enjoy their work, and don't really have that mentality of being in constant competition with their peers. But, I'm sure we all work hard, too. In my program, you have to be good juggling your time. In most programs, you earn an MPH, so you have to be comfortable with graduate public health classwork (my opinion is that it's not too hard, but this is clearly in my interest area).

Reactions: 1 users
Yes - you need to have 1 clinical year of experience to apply to PM or OM. It seems like most do IM, peds, or FP, but you could do any prelim or a transition year. *Some* programs require that you finish a full residency first, but those are by far in the minority.

Yes - it's not that uncommon for people to have experience in something else, even for several years. I think there are even people who have done pathology. But, you still may not want to wait too long from the rest of your medical training. You still want to have fresh clinical skills, and you have to have completed all the USMLE steps to get licensed (probably not an issue if you were working in another medical speciality, but may be a consideration if you were doing something non-clinical for several years).

I'm not sure how to answer the question about how competitive that they are (compared to other disciplines). Since all (?nearly all) PM or OM programs interview people who are "PGY-1" or more senior, they don't participate in the match. So, the data comparing recent med grads in other fields isn't readily avaiable (as far as I know). That being said, I don't really know many people who wanted to get into the fields and who were not able to find a spot that they were pleased with. I even was checking out programs "off cycle" and some places offered me interviews (I think I was inquiring around April for spots that would have started in Jun/July). There aren't that many programs and spots... but there aren't that many applicants vying for those spots either. Unfortunately, the funding for these spots is also not tied to CMS (Medicare / Medicaid), so things seem precarious (at least, to me). But, most argue that we need more PM docs (particularly with the Affordable Care Act). OM has slightly different funding, and definitely has more spots / programs. And, in both fields, there are some programs that are clearly more competitive than others.

On finding work after finishing... ACPM (I linked to them above) has job boards and email bulletins that I get. There are a lot of OM job announcements - in a broad array of communities. PM spots are a little less obvious... but, being dual-boarded (say, IM/PM) can add a lot of job security.

I can only speak for my program with authority, but it seems to me that a lot of PM/OM residents are happy, enjoy their work, and don't really have that mentality of being in constant competition with their peers. But, I'm sure we all work hard, too. In my program, you have to be good juggling your time. In most programs, you earn an MPH, so you have to be comfortable with graduate public health classwork (my opinion is that it's not too hard, but this is clearly in my interest area).
Thanks. This is great to hear.

Oh yeah - I guess that I should have checked the link, since that post was back in 2006 :)

The updated page is: http://www.acpm.org/?page=GME_Home

The "Careers in Preventive Medicine" slide show is the thing I was originally referencing, but I gave you the link to the GME page this time so that you can see some of the pages about the ACGME requirements as well.

And the information posted by carminosa was true at the time. But, the ACGME rules changed a few years ago. So, all programs are two years now. The clinical year rule is essentially the same. But, programs aren't really divided up as MPH year & practicum year anymore (at least the ones that I know the most about). The requirements changed so you do need to have ongoing clinical work throughout the two years (PGY2 & PGY3), so (?most) programs have merged those two years. Prior to that rule, you could get out of the MPH year if you already had the degree going into the program.