Prerequisites - after application + community college courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuloptpls

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently an undergraduate student. I decided going down the optometry path pretty late, so I still have some prereqs to fulfill after graduating this May. I hope to finish to apply for Fall 2019. I see that for most of the schools that you do not need to have the prerequisites fulfilled by application time. It says it's fine as long as you have them done before enrolling. Does it not hurt my chances if I don't have, let's say a course like biochem or microbiology, by time of application?

Also, I plan to take intro chem 1 & 2 at a community college. The rest of my prerequisites are done + will be done at 4-year college. I know some of the schools recommend taking them at a 4-year college, but circumstances make it much more convenient to take these 2 courses this summer at a community college. Do you think it will hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm currently an undergraduate student. I decided going down the optometry path pretty late, so I still have some prereqs to fulfill after graduating this May. I hope to finish to apply for Fall 2019. I see that for most of the schools that you do not need to have the prerequisites fulfilled by application time. It says it's fine as long as you have them done before enrolling. Does it not hurt my chances if I don't have, let's say a course like biochem or microbiology, by time of application?

Also, I plan to take intro chem 1 & 2 at a community college. The rest of my prerequisites are done + will be done at 4-year college. I know some of the schools recommend taking them at a 4-year college, but circumstances make it much more convenient to take these 2 courses this summer at a community college. Do you think it will hurt my chances?

Not at all. I have a course or two from a community college and I got accepted. I also applied without my Biochemistry, Psychology, or Microbiology credits.

I'll have them completed by the time I start school.

It doesn't hurt if you have one or two courses outstanding as you're applying, but don't let it be too many. When I applied, I hadn't completed Microbiology or Anatomy yet, but I was still accepted to all of my programs. I'll have them completed by the time I start school in the Fall. If you have too many classes incomplete, that will probably hurt your chances of getting offered an interview, so it would be better if you just waited to apply the next cycle.

I would email the programs and tell them about your situation. They may be lenient towards you, but I'm not too sure.