prerequisite help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In2JG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i was doing premed. but i realized where my interests where in language and healthcare/medicine. so i researched the field. got in contact with a couple of SLPs and now im set to go. i have a Bio (BA) major with an English minor, should i take a communications or psychology minor as well? i don't want to get rid of my bio major because i love it and English i love as well. what classes do i have to take as an undergrad to get into a grad program. i know some linguistics, some communication, def some basic sciences, i took intro chem 1/2, intro bio 1/2, and am currently taking intro physics 1. i took intro psych and sociology. tell me what classes i really need to take to get into the program. i dont see any lists of prerequisites on the net. thank you so much! i love sdn.

Members don't see this ad.

Most graduate SLP programs require very specific prerequisite classes (like phonetics, intro to speech/language disorders, intro to audiology, aural rehab, a&p for speech and hearing and all are usually offered in the communication disorders department), but it depends on the program. Some programs don't require any pre-reqs for admission, just an undergrad degree in any field, and let you complete them the summer before beginning graduate school. Use this tool: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Masters/MastersSearch.aspx to find master's programs' websites where you can see what individual programs require.

You don't have to take any classes to get into a grad program. Just make sure that the ones you apply to take people without prerequisites (and there are a ton that do).

I was also a bio major. I had no prerequisites completed whatsoever when applying to SLP programs last year. I had no trouble getting into multiple schools and am currently doing my prereqs this year at the school I chose and will be going straight into their MA program in fall 2010. There are 8 others doing the same thing I am and we make a nice little group in the undergrad classes. I am actually really glad it worked out this way, because it gives me some extra time to "grow up," if you will. I have a late birthday and have been one of the youngest in my class since I started kindergarten. I've occasionally been in with people who are in the same grade as me but are a full year or more older. So it'll be nice to catch up a bit.

Edit: Another advantage of the bio major is that you usually fulfill all the ASHA requirements for sciences and statistics in the course of doing your major whereas some others have to take extra classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much guys. im glad i have a bio major now that u mention it.. i could go into so many fields.

You don't have to take any classes to get into a grad program. Just make sure that the ones you apply to take people without prerequisites (and there are a ton that do).

I HIGHLY suggest taking something, though. Check and see if your school has an intro to communicative disorders class or something. Also, if you haven't already, see if you can shadow some SLPs to get a better feel for what they actually do. I'm sure aware, but Speech-Language Pathology in itself is a pretty vast field with different specialties. When I was in undergrad, I did a work experience internship program with a local hospital and that really exposed me to a lot of things about the field. Maybe your area has something similar? Best of luck to you.

Can you give an example of these programs that don't require pre-reqs? So far I can't find any in Michigan.

thanks,
Lindsay

Can you give an example of these programs that don't require pre-reqs? So far I can't find any in Michigan.

thanks,
Lindsay

Hey,

I am also applying to schools, hoping to get into 1 next fall as well without any prereqs done yet. Here are some you may be interested in that I am applying to as well:

1. Southern Illinois University
2. Wichita University, (Kansas)
3. Southeastern Louisiana State University (Lousiana)- I know it's far but it has a good program
4. Appalachian State University (North Colorado)- they accept 12 students without pre-reqs in speech pathology, which I don't have right now, so I thought it'd be worth a try.
5. University of North Dakota
6. Western Kentucky University
7. Lehman College (hardest to get into in this list but I might be taking pre-requisites there...) (New York)
8. Cleveland State University (Ohio)

I'm not 100% certain that these don't require pre-reqs, but they are more lenient in other ways...and if anything taking pre-reqs with them will just add another year to the grad program IF you get in.

Good Luck applicants!

I am also in the same boat...
I am worried that there are no programs that exist without prereqs, but since it might benefit me to have them, and it makes it easier to apply to more programs!

What prereqs do you guys think are the most common amongst programs, so I can take locally? A list maybe?

One thing worth considering is how to pay for the pre-reqs. I can't afford to take them out of pocket which is why I felt like I needed to find a school where they are willing to build pre-reqs into the Master's degree so that one can use financial aid, loans, grants, to get those classes paid for. Just something to think about unless you're independently wealthy.