Prepping for CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dox4lyfe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I begin prepping for the CARS section as a rising sophomore? A lot of people have been saying to read a lot of newspapers or science articles. Since I haven't seen an mcat CARS passage yet, I'm not sure what kind of source would have articles that are the closest in style. Can anyone provide names of specific websites or journals that have articles that are the most similar? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Will it be beneficial for me to read those passages now if I'll be taking the mcat in a year and a half? I was thinking about doing something now to get used to the cars section so that I'm ready for when I start "actually" preparing for the mcat.

Personally I am not so great at CARS so take it as you will. If I would have a year or more, that is what I would do.
I would recommend yes reading reading NY Times, Economist or other recommended by other people.
But along with it, I would recommend get your hands on all other similar standardized reading passages eg SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT etc. Search it on your own for more. Now Does these mimic MCAT? No, but these will get you into thinking. Get used to reading passages on time, get the most out of. However, remember they will not replicate MCAT. Take skills you learn from these and apply it when the time comes for you MCAT and utilize MCAT resources. The reason I recommend doing just more than reading ECONOMIST is because you need something to test your understanding, your comprehension skills, and your ability to get interested in the MOST boring passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it be beneficial for me to read those passages now if I'll be taking the mcat in a year and a half? I was thinking about doing something now to get used to the cars section so that I'm ready for when I start "actually" preparing for the mcat.

I would start reading some philosophy books. I find them particularly boring with a not so straight forward argument. So, any topics that are like that. I think this will help you in CARS.

Hey, I was in the same boat as you when I took my first MCAT. This time around I took a course with Jack Westin and I think that was the best decision I made for the test. He has a free practice session and he releases daily CARS passages which I used almost every day after I finished his course. If you don't end up taking his course I would definitely recommend using the articles he posts because I thought those passages were great practice and in line with what I experienced on test day.

I was/am in the same situation as you (trying to get an early leg up). What I would do if I were you is take an initial "pre-assessment' , probably from the AAMC Pack, immediately. Doing so will give you a baseline approximation of where you are right now. That information should provide some guidance as to next steps and will allow you to track your improvement. It will also give you an early idea as to strengths and weaknesses so when you are reading whatever materials you choose you can focus on those areas of concern.