Preparing for the worst during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snailer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Long story short, I applied to ~11 MD schools with 509 MCAT/3.72 cgpa 3.45 sgpa. Graduated in May, taking a gap year to travel to several countries/work/spend time with the fam. Am worried I won't get into MD this cycle. I wanted to apply DO, but I have no physician letter of rec and am not even close to being able to access one. Advice needed being: 1) do I trust the process with MD? 2) shadow another MD/DO immediately and try to get a letter, apply to DO this cycle by this thanksgiving? 3) Wait until next spring to shadow an MD/DO and get a letter to apply DO next cycle?

Thanks!!
You can't "trust the process" for MD schools. As you know, only 40% of applicants (including high stat folks) get an acceptance. As the DO application season runs longer than for MD, you have the time to acquire a DO letter and submit it by Thanksgiving, provided the rest of your application is complete before then.

If you plan to plug some holes in your application this year in case you need to reapply, to have a better chance at MD, then waiting until next year to apply DO is reasonable.

You can't "trust the process" for MD schools. As you know, only 40% of applicants (including high stat folks) get an acceptance. As the DO application season runs longer than for MD, you have the time to acquire a DO letter and submit it by Thanksgiving, provided the rest of your application is complete before then.

If you plan to plug some holes in your application this year in case you need to reapply, to have a better chance at MD, then waiting until next year to apply DO is reasonable.

Okay, thanks for the reply! Leaning towards waiting, as it gives more time to save money for apps/work on clinical experiences. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a steep UW trend in GPA? Maybe retake the MCAT and update schools? And ofc apply DO, you still got time.
Good luck :)

Most DO schools no longer require a DO letter.

Most DO schools no longer require a DO letter.

Yes, but I don't even have any physician letter of rec. MD or DO. And the vast majority require one or the other.
edit: at least, as far as I know.