Preliminary Year Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsdreaming

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just need some help and hopeful can get some constructive criticism. This year I applied to radiology and unfortunately only matched into a preliminary medicine year and not radiology. I was unable to soap into any advanced position. My stats are as follows 243 step1, 243 step2, pass cs on first attempt. Caribbean IMG from Canada who will be on j1. Have not took step 3. I graduated a couple months ago and will be starting my prelim year in july.
I was curious on my chances in obtaining a pgy-2 position in rads,neuro or even internal medicine. I would be willing to do any of these fields and also will be applying to pgy-1 in family and internal. I will have letters from american docs in internal, rads, neuro and family. What should I do to increase my chances to match into categorical and what are my chances of getting a categorical position in any of the above specialties? I am willing to go anywhere and do anything as I can not afford not matching into a categorical position next year.
Any insight to the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just need some help and hopeful can get some constructive criticism. This year I applied to radiology and unfortunately only matched into a preliminary medicine year and not radiology. I was unable to soap into any advanced position. My stats are as follows 243 step1, 243 step2, pass cs on first attempt. Caribbean IMG from Canada who will be on j1. Have not took step 3. I graduated a couple months ago and will be starting my prelim year in july.
I was curious on my chances in obtaining a pgy-2 position in rads,neuro or even internal medicine. I would be willing to do any of these fields and also will be applying to pgy-1 in family and internal. I will have letters from american docs in internal, rads, neuro and family. What should I do to increase my chances to match into categorical and what are my chances of getting a categorical position in any of the above specialties? I am willing to go anywhere and do anything as I can not afford not matching into a categorical position next year.
Any insight to the matter will be greatly appreciated.

be the best intern you can be and work on trying to make connections with the programs where your internship is...and be grateful that you got a prelim spot...worse would be if you had gotten an advanced position and were unable to find a prelim to soap into...then you would have to forfeit the advanced.

be the best intern you can be and work on trying to make connections with the programs where your internship is...and be grateful that you got a prelim spot...worse would be if you had gotten an advanced position and were unable to find a prelim to soap into...then you would have to forfeit the advanced.
Thank you for the reply. I thank god for giving me this spot as this was my first year applying and I was able to get something and also get a couple rads interviews which boosts my confidence that I have the application to get into less competitive specialties.
I will of course try to work really hard and impress my program director and the attending as my best shot is to get a categorical position there next year if its not pgy-2 than I will do pgy-1 again and be extremely happy doing it. I also plan on getting as many publications as I can during this year but I was curious on the chances of obtaining such pgy-2 positions. Are they easy to get after pgy-1 or do i have a better chance at pgy-1? Will there be quite a bit opened up or is it something that is rare to come by?