Preliminary surgery help, please read if you applied to PS before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawson203

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a US IMG not getting interviews this match season after applying to 172 family medicine and psychiatry programs. I am planning on going for preliminary surgery. I know what I am going into, I know it's tough hours and a lot of work. But I think it looks better than taking a year off. I am only applying to preliminary surgery because it has the most open spots and therefore by logic increases my chance of getting in. so here's my question

What kind of personal statement should I write for preliminary surgery?

What kind of LOR should I get?

Anything I can do to increase my chances?

Does anyone know where I can find a list of IMG friendly preliminary surgery programs?

Thank for reading and have a nice day.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure but I thought next. If you don't get even FM and Psych IV's it's highly unlikely that after doing one year of prelim surgery you will be competitive about matching in FM or Psych or Internal, and of course you will have no chance to convert your prelim surgery to cat because I think you have nothing surgical in your application and you are too far from this specialty. From where do I see this particular situation I'd rather do one year or research (paid or unpaid) in FM or Psych and get in touch with people that if you will be lucky will mentor you and maybe next year you will match somewhere. Anyway prelim surgery I think will get you nowhere. You are US IMG you can work at any job (service work) and do research at the same time. Anyway I think that this will increase the chances of getting more IV's next year. Good luck

I am not sure but I thought next. If you don't get even FM and Psych IV's it's highly unlikely that after doing one year of prelim surgery you will be competitive about matching in FM or Psych or Internal, and of course you will have no chance to convert your prelim surgery to cat because I think you have nothing surgical in your application and you are too far from this specialty. From where do I see this particular situation I'd rather do one year or research (paid or unpaid) in FM or Psych and get in touch with people that if you will be lucky will mentor you and maybe next year you will match somewhere. Anyway prelim surgery I think will get you nowhere. You are US IMG you can work at any job (service work) and do research at the same time. Anyway I think that this will increase the chances of getting more IV's next year. Good luck

thanks for the reply. When you say do one year of research in FM or Psych, what kind of job are you referring to? I read everywhere that everyone talk about research but no one can point me towards the right direction. Can you give me a job title or a job posting that can increase my chances of getting interview?

what kind of mentor would help me get into a match? Are you talking about doctors who are doing research? School advisers?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply. When you say do one year of research in FM or Psych, what kind of job are you referring to? I read everywhere that everyone talk about research but no one can point me towards the right direction. Can you give me a job title or a job posting that can increase my chances of getting interview?

what kind of mentor would help me get into a match? Are you talking about doctors who are doing research? School advisers?

Don't get me wrong but it is so sad that you have a legal right to live and work in USA (I guess GC holder) And you don't use it with mind, millions of people struggle to get that ID card. First of all you should do thorough research about research types, about what mentors could do for you, if you searched and didn't get an answer - you searched not so well. There are paid and unpaid research possitions, most of them I guess will be unpaid and will be easier to get into because I think that your application and knowledge base will not be enough to get paid one (no offence it is just logical, if you don't get into FM or PSYCH two most easiest things to get into it means that you have some gaps, and I bet gaps will be in your eras application (scores, usce, lors, e.t.c) So shoot for unpaid research positions at university based hospitals (not private ones, privates I guess don't count or will do little for you) and do research at the hospital where is an psych-fm residency programs, try to do research with a well known persons that stand in high academic rank (chiefs,chairmans,pd's, people who are responsible for research programs, at least you can get into work with just an ateendings) the whole idea is to broaden your connections which I bet is poor atm otherwise you would match FM this year, make an accent on contacts and research, attend every single academic congress about FM, after research try to make a poster and give a speak at some meeting I hope you got me. It is an easy thing to get matched If you have average scores and financial aid because you need money to live while you are on research or you need financial aid to attend many academic meetings and travel, so it's all about you. anyway ecfmg certificate and green card will match you if you use your cards in the right way (research,connections, mentorship) GL!

I came back to add one very important thing. Don't treat things as you wouldn't want you be treated, what I mean. You applied for both FM and Psych right? So it really don't matter for you which one you would match right? Because Something tells me that you don't like any of this specialties. Don't act like this if you have done already. Be specific and this will lead you to victory! First decide which one you want to go into, if psych spend all the time and money on psych doing paid clerckships (because you don't stand now for an elective) and for things related to psych, or if you decide to go into FM spend all the time and money on IT. be specific and you will get there. It's like a woman dating 2 mans at a time, and if any of that man will know about that I guess both man will stop dating, it's obvious like 2x2=4. So decide which one you prefer more, and spend this 1 year with clever decisions. My 0.5 cents

Last edited:
If you did not get any interviews for primary care specialties it would be very hard for you to obtain even interviews for preliminary surgery. Your step 1,2 must be above 235 to get preliminary surgery interviews and good performance in medical school. Your best bet is to do 1 year of unpaid research at an institution with a residdency program in fm or pysch and do 3 months min of observerships in those fields and develop connections that can help you match next year. Attend FM and psych american conferences where program directors reunite once a year, talk with them and make connections. Good luck

If you did not get any interviews for primary care specialties it would be very hard for you to obtain even interviews for preliminary surgery. Your step 1,2 must be above 235 to get preliminary surgery interviews and good performance in medical school. Your best bet is to do 1 year of unpaid research at an institution with a residdency program in fm or pysch and do 3 months min of observerships in those fields and develop connections that can help you match next year. Attend FM and psych american conferences where program directors reunite once a year, talk with them and make connections. Good luck

Thanks for you reply. What kind of unpaid research are you referring to? Also, how does an observership lead to a connection with a program director?

I am referring to university or university affiliated hospitals that offer 1 year of research in psych or FM. Search on the internet as some institutions issue the available position. You can start by purchasing residentswap which displays available open research positions. The other option is to check on freida as well as the institution post open available research. Observerships usually at university or univ affiliated hospitals, you will be under the guidance of the pd himself or attendings that are part of his team. You round with the residents as well and if you are stellar it will be a big connection to have. You ca even ask him about writing you a letter of recommendation to other programs a well if he deems you competent. Pds all know each other , he might even refer you to another pd at another institution. At this point in your life, you need to decide which one you really want and go for it. The objective is not just to match but matching in the specialty field you really are passionate about. Residency h is super long and you will not make it through if you force yourself to do something your not sure about.

Reactions: 1 user
I am referring to university or university affiliated hospitals that offer 1 year of research in psych or FM. Search on the internet as some institutions issue the available position. You can start by purchasing residentswap which displays available open research positions. The other option is to check on freida as well as the institution post open available research. Observerships usually at university or univ affiliated hospitals, you will be under the guidance of the pd himself or attendings that are part of his team. You round with the residents as well and if you are stellar it will be a big connection to have. You ca even ask him about writing you a letter of recommendation to other programs a well if he deems you competent. Pds all know each other , he might even refer you to another pd at another institution. At this point in your life, you need to decide which one you really want and go for it. The objective is not just to match but matching in the specialty field you really are passionate about. Residency h is super long and you will not make it through if you force yourself to do something your not sure about.

thanks man