Prelim Surgery Programs for IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harambe4ever

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations? I'm trying to make a list. I would like to go to a place that doesn't have you do too much scut, gives you at least some OR time, tec.

Most of the surgery prelim threads on here are from the mid-2000's and are not specific for IR.

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor-Dallas is the best I've ever heard of. Met a Radiology resident who logged over 200 cases as an intern.

MUSC has a specific internship for Radiology Residents where I think you get 2 months of Radiology electives.

Otherwise I would recommend doing an internship at the same place you are doing your Residency. It's good to meet people outside of your Department. You'll gain a good reputation and people will trust you more/give you less **** when you become a IR/Rad resident.

My one piece of advice is not to balk too much over scut work. It's a necessary evil to understand how the hospital system works and to learn management of patients.

Big upside to doing it where you will do IR, otherwise I'd take a hard look at some gem community programs that are out there. I can only speak to the Midwest city where I live, but the residents at community programs here log more high end cases than at the big academic places. Plus, the absence of fellows means you may quickly become more self reliant when managing patients on your service and have less competition to first assist cases

Members don't see this ad :)
Big Yes to the above post. The less fellows the better.

Definitely agree a good community program would be great. How do I go about finding out about which of these community programs are good?

Definitely agree a good community program would be great. How do I go about finding out about which of these community programs are good?

I befriended surgery bound graduates in the classes above me and they gave me lots of perspective. I'd start asking your surgery friends about what they've heard

I'd recommend UW (I'm just starting here, so I'm biased). The program director, Karen Horvath, takes your requests for rotations on interview day (or during your Skype interview). I have rotations in Thoracic/Vascular, Hepatobiliary, Trauma x 2, VA ICU, SICU, Acute Care, Neurosurgery, General x 2, Night Float, and Emergency. Basically the services that feed 90% of IR cases, except for maybe uterine artery embos.

I'd recommend UW (I'm just starting here, so I'm biased). The program director, Karen Horvath, takes your requests for rotations on interview day (or during your Skype interview). I have rotations in Thoracic/Vascular, Hepatobiliary, Trauma x 2, VA ICU, SICU, Acute Care, Neurosurgery, General x 2, Night Float, and Emergency. Basically the services that feed 90% of IR cases, except for maybe uterine artery embos.

If I remember correctly, you haven't started internship yet.

I have a mixed feeling about this. In general, academic prelim surgery is not the place to go for internship due to overwhelming scut.

However, it can be good to learn some clinical stuff about the service that refer to us.

It's very likely that you will not learn how to do surgery at all in an academic surgery prelim program. But you may learn some surgical mgmt?

Highly recommend applying to Kaiser Los Angeles Medical Center. 11 surgery interns (4 categorical, 2 urology, 5 prelims). All 5 of us surgery prelims are headed to IR or DR programs next year. Our schedules look a lot like what Naijaba posted above, but we also get a month of IR so we'll get to work with Dr. Vatakencherry and his team. Best of all, its not one of your classic "academic" surgery programs so there *should be* far less scut (fingers crossed).