Pregnant wife during interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reveler

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it, my wife is pregnant with a mid-November due date. While I understand that interviews can range from late October-January, it doesn't take a 4 week ob/gyn rotation to know that things don't always go as planned. Has anyone else had to schedule around something like this? I would love to be able to schedule everything in December or January, but am I naive to think that I can have that much scheduling freedom?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to schedule anything in November you shouldn't have to. Most places will have most of their dates in December/January (I didn't schedule my first interview until the week before Thanksgiving).

The vast majority of IM programs are big enough that they will have lots (10 or more) interview days scheduled. Usually when invited for an interview they will just list all their available days and it's first come first served, so it likely would be possible to schedule all/most of your interviews for December or January.

That said, if you aren't in their first round of invites they might have mostly filled by the time you're invited, so they might only give you 2 or 3 days to choose from. If that's the case, just politely email them and tell them the situation, either they accommodate you or not. I certainly wouldn't jeopardize missing the birth of a child for a residency interview, even at your dream program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do as many as you can in October.

Reactions: 1 user
As luck would have it, my wife is pregnant with a mid-November due date. While I understand that interviews can range from late October-January, it doesn't take a 4 week ob/gyn rotation to know that things don't always go as planned. Has anyone else had to schedule around something like this? I would love to be able to schedule everything in December or January, but am I naive to think that I can have that much scheduling freedom?

This happened to me. Schedule local or nothing in 2 weeks before and after the due date and have a back up plan in case it happens when you're gone. Have a fund set aside to eat a same day plane ticket cost.