PREDENTIN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the criteria?

Utilizing DAT scores and GPA along with NIH funding and # of patient visits. More emphasis on the DAT(AA and PAT) than GPA and science GPA> overall GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a pretty pointless ranking system. You're mixing completely different criteria, some of which don't even reflect the quality of the school (# of patient visits, for example, punishes schools in less populated states or more rural locations).

Reactions: 4 users
I mean everybody has their own point of views on what is important or not, I'd just thought I'd share mine. Additionally, it is important to have a strong patient pool. It's the name of the game. Lack of patients equals a student stressing out to meet graduation criteria, does that hurt the student or the school who already received your tuition?

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like a pretty pointless ranking system. You're mixing completely different criteria, some of which don't even reflect the quality of the school (# of patient visits, for example, punishes schools in less populated states or more rural locations).

May I ask which Dental school you attend?

Do the patient visits take into consideration the number of students and residents. And also then the number of patients visits per students and residents? I'd assume not since NYU is up there on the list. They have as many people in one class than my entire dental school had.

Do the patient visits take into consideration the number of students and residents. And also then the number of patients visits per students and residents? I'd assume not since NYU is up there on the list. They have as many people in one class than my entire dental school had.

I Agree. The patient visit is posted by the ADA

www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/.../HPI/Files/SDE1_2014-15_final.xlsx?la=en

The total number of visits made to on-campus clinics .

May I ask which dental school you attend? Additionally, how have your experiences been in terms of clinic procedures.

A better idea would have been to allow people to sort by each of the criteria so they can rank schools by what's important to them, rather than jumbling it all together somewhat arbitrarily and giving it one ranking. # of patient visits is not synonymous with strong patient pool, 2000 patient visits to NYU with a class size of 400 is not necessarily better than 1000 patient visits to UNC with a class size of 82.

Columbia

I agree with you that people should rank schools on what is most important to them, hence I did what was important for myself and shared it with other people. In terms of patient visits you're right, NYU with a class size of 400 is not necessarily better than 1000 patient visits to UNC with a class size of 82. I like your math skills! I'm not just judging on the patient numbers to produce a ranking, it's a variety of other factors that I see as important. I'm willing to take suggestions and modify it to the best of my abilities that I can with the information I'm given.

May I ask why you chose Columbia instead of many other programs? Did you not rank different schools based on certain criteria? If so then you can see my perspective. At the end of the day, I'm just sharing my rankings.

Love it, like it, or hate it. Just don't ruin it for other people.

Factors that I think would also have played an important part in ranking that you didn't include:

Residency programs the school has
Grading system
Exam schedule
Cost of living
Tuition
Ability to gain in state status

Only reason I add this is because some of the things you talked about may not even matter to some people (aka NIH funding if they don't care about research).

And I agree with @FeralisExtremum. A ratio of patient pool to number of students would have been better.

And then maybe have a way for people to choose which criteria are important to them for it to then calculate a unique ranking of the schools based on which factors were chosen.

Not sure how we would determine how much certain criteria are weighted. Would have to be something we discussed.

Factors that I think would also have played an important part in ranking that you didn't include:

Residency programs the school has
Grading system
Exam schedule
Cost of living
Tuition
Ability to gain in state status

Only reason I add this is because some of the things you talked about may not even matter to some people (aka NIH funding if they don't care about research).

And I agree with @FeralisExtremum. A ratio of patient pool to number of students would have been better.

Thanks for your feedback. I will try to incorporate that information. The ratio of patient pool to number of students is a little difficult since the data provided by schools is limited. I'm saying this because you can't really identify the difference between a 3rd year, 4th year or even 2nd year students seeing patients.

great information but I cant really tell why they are ranked the way they are ranked. Good idea though

You've got some old info on there...
My class had an avg 3.7 GPA and 20AA, the upcoming class of 2021 has an average of 3.81 and 21AA.
We also have 105 seats