Pre-SCS thoracic MRI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perfect example of why to get one.... this patient is going for open lami trial now. Perc cancelled.

ImageUploadedBySDN1502384819.577387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Cut off at 11-12

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I cut it off at T9 as her name was on there. Symptoms from stenosis. But SCS would also not be good choice in this lady. My lumbar film goes pretty high.

Attachments

• T8-S1.jpeg
    T8-S1.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: 1 users
upload_2018-4-29_23-5-59.png

upload_2018-4-29_23-6-32.png

Hey Team,

Wondering your thoughts on safety of SCS trial for this patient. This is at T11-12. Thanks!

Likely to be difficult to pass leads through that segment.

Also, looks like there's some cord signal change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, should have provided more background. 40ish patient with left radicular low back pain in L5 and S1 distribution s/p L5-S1 decompression and fusion. No myelopathic findings on exam. Will definitely have spine surgery evaluate the patient but doubtful this is contributing to her pain. Thanks as always for the input. Will keep you updated as the case progresses.

Sorry if this has been asked before. But what’s everyone’s cutoff of stenosis for SCS? I have a cervical with diameter right at 10mm, I’m hesitating whether this Is safe to proceed w the trial or not. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this has been asked before. But what’s everyone’s cutoff of stenosis for SCS? I have a cervical with diameter right at 10mm, I’m hesitating whether this Is safe to proceed w the trial or not. Thanks
Just did this exact case

Trial went ok...little uncomfortable for patient during placement but not bad

Made perm incisions...placed percs leads awake as is my practice... because of the small amount of increased scar tissue from the trial and it already haven been tight it was very difficult to advance the leads. Kinked two styletts. She was having a little bit of axial pressure but not too bad. But then all the sudden started having severe bilateral foot pain, neuropathic. Really intense. Allodynia. Motor intact. Did not resolve with pulling the leads back. Took everything out. Closed the incisions. No improvement after watching her in recovery for 45 minutes and with generous pain meds and gabapentin. Shipped from outpatient ASC to hospital. Stat mri scanned her. Nothing on the scans. Symptoms have largely improved at 10 days. But still some neuropathic pain. Fingers crossed things resolve completely.

I read a guideline that said <14mm relative contraindication and <10 absolute.

Wish I would have sent her for a paddle trial.

Last edited:

It happens. Maybe hit her with steroids early on next time, through a catheter ideally at the highest site you were at, but something to quiet down the trauma site.

Reactions: 1 user
It happens. Maybe hit her with steroids early on next time, through a catheter ideally at the highest site you were at, but something to quiet down the trauma site.

Agreed. Have seen it twice. Once in fellowship and once to my partner. Epidural dex, IV dex, gabapentin, medrol dose pak. Both eventually resolved. Took a good 6-8 weeks on the one.

Just did this exact case

Trial went ok...little uncomfortable for patient during placement but not bad

Made perm incisions...placed percs leads awake as is my practice... because of the small amount of increased scar tissue from the trial and it already haven been right it was very difficult to advance the leads. Kinked two styletts. She was having a little bit of axial pressure but not too bad. But then all the sudden started having severe bilateral foot pain, neuropathic. Really intense. Allodynia. Motor intact. Did not resolve with pulling the leads back. Took everything out. Closed the incisions. No improvement after watching her in recovery for 45 minutes and with generous pain meds and gabapentin. Shipped from outpatient ASC to hospital. Stat mri scanned her. Nothing on the scans. Symptoms have largely improved at 10 days. But still some neuropathic pain. Fingers crossed things resolve completely.

I read a guideline that said <14mm relative contraindication and <10 absolute.

What’s the learning point from this for all of us?

Lots of epidural fat, but stenosis due to disc herniations. Thoughts on safety of a trial?
IMG_2187.png
IMG_2188.png

I'd probably do it, but if patient complains or you meet resistance, I may choose to abort earlier than I normally would.

At least one lead will
pass easily and then stack the 2nd lead with tip just below the stenosis