Pre-med Undergrad: Cornell vs. Northwestern

TSteezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting this for one of my students who has recently been accepted into both programs.

The schools are comparable in terms of COA, and seem fairly similar in terms of ranking and reputation. Could someone shed light on the intangibles - competitive nature/toxicity? community? grade inflation/deflation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the student's ultimate goal?

The two schools are located in very different environments for starters. Cornell in the small town of Ithaca vs. Northwestern in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those two are very different from each other in almost every possible way. Would need more information on what the student is seeking for. I've studied at both places, and I can tell, it really depends on more than just that.

Have they visited both? Very, very different settings. Most people would have a big preference for a place as small as Ithaca vs the nice wealthy burbs of Chicago

As far as competition, Cornell is known for being pretty tough in the sciences. All else equal I'd go Northwestern

Thanks for the responses! Here's an update: huge financial aid package from Cornell, she'll be attending it practically free.

Thanks for the responses! Here's an update: huge financial aid package from Cornell, she'll be attending it practically free.
Is there an offer from Northwestern yet?

When I was choosing colleges, I had one T20 offer me a full ride while another (that I liked better) offered me far less. By showing the better offer to the preferred school, I got them to increase their package a ton, all the way up to full tuition. So if she thinks she would like Northwestern and Cornell is offering better, make the attempt to get Northwestern to raise their offer!

Is there an offer from Northwestern yet?
So if she thinks she would like Northwestern and Cornell is offering better, make the attempt to get Northwestern to raise their offer!

Great tip! She loved Chicago, I'll help her haggle w/ admissions on Monday.

Reactions: 1 user