Pre-med non-traditional vegan Latina

dladyluckd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been following forums for years now and reading other people's threads. However, I always seem to have such specific questions that I end up more confused. Today I finally decided that I will post my own thread on here.

Long story "short":

I was born in Mexico and moved here at age 14. I always knew I wanted to be a Dr. In high school I struggled to learn the language and adapt to culture but graduated with a 3.7. Nevertheless, as a first generation student at a 4 year college I had no idea what I was doing, my family fell apart, had to deal with a death of a close friend, and for many other crazy life situations my grades dropped and eventually I dropped out of college.

After being in a job I was sort of happy with for four years, I finally went back to school. My grades improved majorly, but because of my poor GPA from the past I graduated with a 3.2 cumulative at age 28 this June.

I have extracurriculars and I am set to start a post bacc this coming fall. However, my boyfriend of 4 1/2 years is becoming very impatient in how long this process has turned out to be. We love each other very much but he has told me he is not sure that he wants to wait another 6 years or so for me to even be done with medical school IF I get in. He is ready to live the 9-5 life, get married and have kids. He is 5 years older than me and as much as I want a family with him I have been wanting to be a doctor for longer.

when we met I was working for the same school district as he is (he is a PE teacher) and could eat at any restaurant with him. Now I have turned into a vegan woman that wants to go to medical school. Therefore, I can understand his frustrations and give him credit for how understanding he has been along the path. He waited this long and now his patience has run out. He has not said he will break up with me if I go to medical school but it has definitely put a lot of stress into our relationship.

This has lead me to consider PA school. I need to know if anyone has done this and regretted it or felt like it was a good compromise.

This man is great with kids, he is honest, loving, caring, athletic, super fun to be around, my best friend, I love his family, and basically cannot see myself without him and cannot wait to become his wife one day. Nevertheless, I have faught so hard to achieve my dreams and I would not want to resent him later on in life.

Then again, what if I don't even get into medical school and I let go off of my Prince Charming?

Any thoughts and comments appreciated. Please feel free to be as blunt and honest as possible, I have pretty thick skin.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At face value, what do you want more? Your future husband, or your dream career? How much do you want to get married and have kids in the nearer future?

I would say 51% him and 49% MD/DO but I have to make clear that even though we have been living together for three years he still has not proposed. He tells me he will when "I'm settled in life" but that won't happen for a while if I choose MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you resent him if you choose him and you never become a doctor?
I was in the same situation as you, and even though I loved my boyfriend so much, I decided to go to medical school. I am very happy with my decision.

Do you mind long distance? And I think you're not supposed to use your face as a profile picture...

Hello everyone!

I have been following forums for years now and reading other people's threads. However, I always seem to have such specific questions that I end up more confused. Today I finally decided that I will post my own thread on here.

Long story "short":

I was born in Mexico and moved here at age 14. I always knew I wanted to be a Dr. In high school I struggled to learn the language and adapt to culture but graduated with a 3.7. Nevertheless, as a first generation student at a 4 year college I had no idea what I was doing, my family fell apart, had to deal with a death of a close friend, and for many other crazy life situations my grades dropped and eventually I dropped out of college.

After being in a job I was sort of happy with for four years, I finally went back to school. My grades improved majorly, but because of my poor GPA from the past I graduated with a 3.2 cumulative at age 28 this June.

I have extracurriculars and I am set to start a post bacc this coming fall. However, my boyfriend of 4 1/2 years is becoming very impatient in how long this process has turned out to be. We love each other very much but he has told me he is not sure that he wants to wait another 6 years or so for me to even be done with medical school IF I get in. He is ready to live the 9-5 life, get married and have kids. He is 5 years older than me and as much as I want a family with him I have been wanting to be a doctor for longer.

when we met I was working for the same school district as he is (he is a PE teacher) and could eat at any restaurant with him. Now I have turned into a vegan woman that wants to go to medical school. Therefore, I can understand his frustrations and give him credit for how understanding he has been along the path. He waited this long and now his patience has run out. He has not said he will break up with me if I go to medical school but it has definitely put a lot of stress into our relationship.

This has lead me to consider PA school. I need to know if anyone has done this and regretted it or felt like it was a good compromise.

This man is great with kids, he is honest, loving, caring, athletic, super fun to be around, my best friend, I love his family, and basically cannot see myself without him and cannot wait to become his wife one day. Nevertheless, I have faught so hard to achieve my dreams and I would not want to resent him later on in life.

Then again, what if I don't even get into medical school and I let go off of my Prince Charming?

Any thoughts and comments appreciated. Please feel free to be as blunt and honest as possible, I have pretty thick skin.

Thanks!

First of all: DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE DECIDE THESE THINGS FOR YOU.

Secondly, a vegan physician!!! Welcome! The medical community needs more health conscious physicians. I was vegan even before medical school, but I almost starved to death until I learned to prepare all food myself. The calls can be very tricky, since most hospitals offer nothing but junk food or overcooked greasy stuff. Make sure you have good food routines, because otherwise you may end up eating fries so often. Another problem ( depending upon your beliefs and how strict you are) is all the mandated vaccines you may have to have. I never got a flu shot, but had to lie about it the last 5 years and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Vegans tend to be more health conscious and it is easy to maintain weight and fitness if you know what to eat. Be ready for everyone to tell you that you " need proteins" and B12, but that's about all most docs will say/knows about Veganism. There are so many young physicians that is now starting different practices on their own in wellness fields and it will only get more as age-management continues to break through. All the health benefits of being Vegan are countless, but the energy you get is value enough in the busy medical school.

Otherwise, if your love wants to bar you from doing this out of selfish concerns, I would recommend you reconsider where you are. If you give in, you will NEVER know if it was the right (for you) thing to do. Since it sounds like this is something you desired for a long time, giving it up with such pressure sounds concerning. I will never let my children go to medical school, but to each his own. Some people can deal with all it entails and I don't mean the clinical things. Still, this is YOUR dreams, YOUR idea. Make all decisions yourself!!

Good luck to you.

4.5 years is plenty long enough to see and know if you want to marry someone. Before I gave up my dream, I would definitely have something stronger around. Like a ring!

Also, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can work at getting into med school and then having kids while in school and residency is possible. Hard but can be done. It may make you delay graduation, etc. But, it can be done.

I would push him some to see how real he wants to get. Med school is hard and will break down a relationship further.

I would at least apply and see if you get into a med school first. Then, you know. I put my life on hold so to speak but I am a guy. But I will have to have kids in residency since my fiancee is now 31. She has been waiting patiently on me for several years to get through med school. Now, it is time for me to bust that nut in the next year or two. :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
First of all: DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE DECIDE THESE THINGS FOR YOU.

Secondly, a vegan physician!!! Welcome! The medical community needs more health conscious physicians. I was vegan even before medical school, but I almost starved to death until I learned to prepare all food myself. The calls can be very tricky, since most hospitals offer nothing but junk food or overcooked greasy stuff. Make sure you have good food routines, because otherwise you may end up eating fries so often. Another problem ( depending upon your beliefs and how strict you are) is all the mandated vaccines you may have to have. I never got a flu shot, but had to lie about it the last 5 years and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Vegans tend to be more health conscious and it is easy to maintain weight and fitness if you know what to eat. Be ready for everyone to tell you that you " need proteins" and B12, but that's about all most docs will say/knows about Veganism. There are so many young physicians that is now starting different practices on their own in wellness fields and it will only get more as age-management continues to break through. All the health benefits of being Vegan are countless, but the energy you get is value enough in the busy medical school.

Otherwise, if your love wants to bar you from doing this out of selfish concerns, I would recommend you reconsider where you are. If you give in, you will NEVER know if it was the right (for you) thing to do. Since it sounds like this is something you desired for a long time, giving it up with such pressure sounds concerning. I will never let my children go to medical school, but to each his own. Some people can deal with all it entails and I don't mean the clinical things. Still, this is YOUR dreams, YOUR idea. Make all decisions yourself!!

Good luck to you.
This thread hasn't been touched in over half a year. OP hasn't posted another post in half a year, and only had two original posts. Let it go, she'll probably never even see your reply. RIP, vegan latina thread.

Reactions: 1 user