Pre-med at SUNY FARMINGDALE

CR7SUNY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I got accepted to SUNY Farmingdale recently,

My question is: assuming a good GPA (3.7+) at SUNY Farmingdale, would someone still have a good chance of getting into med school?

If i can get a high MCAT and high GPA, would medical schools accept me or they will the name of the school make a difference? and for those who attend SUNY Farmingdale, how do you like it so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I got accepted to SUNY Farmingdale recently,

My question is: assuming a good GPA (3.7+) at SUNY Farmingdale, would someone still have a good chance of getting into med school?

If i can get a high MCAT and high GPA, would medical schools accept me or they will the name of the school make a difference? and for those who attend SUNY Farmingdale, how do you like it so far?
Do well and the name won't hurt you, although it will make certain elite programs + schools with strong elite undergrad bias less achievable.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I got into an MD school and one guy I know even got into Mayo. Another guy got into Boston u. Just do well in ur classes and be proactive about creating a good application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes i go to the Dale. I got into an MD school and one guy I know even got into Mayo. Another guy got into Boston u. Just do well in ur classes and be proactive about creating a good application.

Thank you for your reply, I feel better now since I heard SUNY Farmingdale is an engineering school and one of the lower tier SUNY's. Can you tell me a little bit about the classes and the pre med program, any advice is need since I am making my deposit next week.

Thank you for your reply, I feel better now since I heard SUNY Farmingdale is an engineering school and one of the lower tier SUNY's. Can you tell me a little bit about the classes and the pre med program, any advice is need since I am making my deposit next week.
Are you gonna be a bioscience major? The professors are for the most part great! Just use rate my professor whenever u make ur schedule. Ur gonna have maybe 50-60 students at most in ur classes. So you really have an opportunity to make connections with the professors. As for being low tier idk if it matters surprisingly out of all the schools I interviewed at the only time I got asked about fdale was at another suny.

I'm giving you a link for the pre med advisor. She's great and can maybe you a better idea.
PHPA

Keep in mind prestige doesn't matter as much in medicine, at least if your goal is just to be a doctor. For fields like law or academia it matters more. This is actually one of the things that attracts me to medicine.

Are you gonna be a bioscience major? The professors are for the most part great! Just use rate my professor whenever u make ur schedule. Ur gonna have maybe 50-60 students at most in ur classes. So you really have an opportunity to make connections with the professors. As for being low tier idk if it matters surprisingly out of all the schools I interviewed at the only time I got asked about fdale was at another suny.

I'm giving you a link for the pre med advisor. She's great and can maybe you a better idea.
PHPA

Yes bioscience major, I will definitely see her in the open house. So since 50-60 students it seems like a good environment. Did you feel the classes prepared you well for the MCAT? or did you have to do more preparation, like taking a Kaplan course? BTW thank you so much for your help since its hard to find someone who went to this school.

Yes bioscience major, I will definitely see her in the open house. So since 50-60 students it seems like a good environment. Did you feel the classes prepared you well for the MCAT? or did you have to do more preparation, like taking a Kaplan course? BTW thank you so much for your help since its hard to find someone who went to this school.
I didn't go to that school but I just want you to understand some points.
1. If you do well in all areas of your application, the undergraduate institution doesn't matter. The "big name" ivy leagues might look ever so slightly more enticing to an ADCOM if all things were equal, but it's certainly not a HUGE leg up. So basically, the schools "tier" doesn't matter, get that out of your head now. They certainly don't care about the difference between state school A vs B. All that matters is that you do well.
2. Classes will give limited preparation for the MCAT. Doesn't matter what school you go to, the material covered in your science/ physics classes will just give you a good baseline of knowledge. You will for sure be using a prep book and/or course when you are actually studying for the MCAT, no matter what classes you took or what university you go to. It is too early for you to be thinking about MCAT preparation. Although you should be trying to get your prerequisite classes out of the way early enough that you've taken them all before you take the MCAT after Junior or Senior year.
3. A high GPA and stellar MCAT score is only the beginning of what will get you into medical school. Think of those two numbers as the prerequisite; they open the door but don't get you through it. Early on you need to build up on ECs that you enjoy doing. You should find volunteer opportunities you are passionate about, ideally in a clinical and also non clinical setting. Start shadowing Drs EARLY. Look into doing research if that interests you. Get involved in organizations on campus/ look for leadership opportunities. Having "just" a 3.7+ gpa and 90th+ percentile MCAT will not be enough.

I'm only throwing all of this on you because your posts make you sound like you don't have a good understanding of this process yet! Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to figure out how everything works while going through undergrad! Remember to go through college with an open mind and enjoy your time while it lasts, I know for me personally college was the best 4 years of my life thus far.

Also statistically you'll end up with entirely different career goals a couple years from now, so don't stress too much about all the details. Good luck!

Thank you so much, You added some important points that I wasn't aware of. Wish you all the best too!

Also statistically you'll end up with entirely different career goals a couple years from now, so don't stress too much about all the details. Good luck!

I think partypants hit all the major points. Ur gonna get out what u put. Sure the classes will help a bit but u will need to put in ur own work too. And I problem I glad I could help!