Pre-Licensure Courses in CA Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting licensed in CA.

1) Does anyone know if the Zur Institute is legitimate for pre-licensure coursework? I need to take child abuse, human sexuality, spousal abuse etc. to meet CA requirements.

http://www.zurinstitute.com/prelicensingca.html#psych

2) Where did others take the chemical dependency course online? I took one in graduate school, but it doesn't meet the licensure requirements for some silly reason. You have to take it at an accredited institution, not online through the zur institute.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by "legitimate" :) But yes, it qualifies as far as the BOP is concerned. I didn't take courses through there since I had the pre-reqs from school, but I know many colleagues who did the Zur pack of classes for pre-licensure. It does the trick and tends to be the cheapest bundle pack.

As for the substance use one, I know JFK University had an online course when I was going through the process several years back. Not sure about anymore.

The nerve of those fornians....sheesh

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going with Mr. Zur for the classes.

I just saw the fee schedule for licensure--such nerve! This will cost $1500 without the EPPP materials/books!

Application Fee $40.00
Fingerprint Card Fee $51.00
Initial License Fee $400.00
CPSE Examination Fee
CPLEE Examination Fee $129.00
EPPP Fee $600.00

***Effective March 1, 2013 the EPPP fee will increase to $600.00.

Pre-licensure coures: $200 (Zur Institute has the cheapest deal available)

Also try to google for a zur institute discount code. You should be able to find one to get 10 or 15% off.

A fellow postdoc of mine did her prelicensure courses online through ce4less. I think it only set her back around $70. I am looking into the online JFK course for my substance abuse requirement.

Thanks guys!

I'm always looking for deals to save money as a postdoc :)

Just as a general update, as someone who needed all of the courses coming from out-of-state, the cost of the full set of courses:

Zur: $200 (Aging, Child Abuse, Intimate/Spousal Violence, Sexuality)
JFK: $315 (Chemical Dependency)

Total course costs: $515

I did a brief search to see if any other institution offered Chemical Dependency for cheaper and found nothing (Alliant U. charges $400 and splits it into 2 parts).

Just as a general update, as someone who needed all of the courses coming from out-of-state, the cost of the full set of courses:

Zur: $200 (Aging, Child Abuse, Intimate/Spousal Violence, Sexuality)
JFK: $315 (Chemical Dependency)

Total course costs: $515

I did a brief search to see if any other institution offered Chemical Dependency for cheaper and found nothing (Alliant U. charges $400 and splits it into 2 parts).
I got all the courses except drugs from ce4less for about $60, fyi.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going with Mr. Zur for the classes.

I just saw the fee schedule for licensure--such nerve! This will cost $1500 without the EPPP materials/books!

Costs for Licensure in California, 2017:

Application Fee $40.00
Fingerprint Card Fee $51.00
Initial License Fee $400.00
CPLEE Examination Fee $129.00
CPLEE Practice Materials (Psychprep) $350.00
EPPP Fee $687.50
EPPP Practice Materials (PsychPrep) $700.00
Pre-licensure Courses (Zur and JFK) $515.00

Total Licensure Costs in CA: $2,872.00

I got all the courses except drugs from ce4less for about $60, fyi.
Hi, did you have to actually purchase the books? I'm trying to see if I can get by without buying any required books and still pass the tests

How much time does one have between (a) taking the EPPP and CPLEE and (b) taking the courses and the CPLEE? Thanks!

Hi, did you have to actually purchase the books? I'm trying to see if I can get by without buying any required books and still pass the tests
You don't need the books. I am not sure if you have unlimited tries to take the tests or not, but if you use common sense (and google), and take notes on what you answer and what you got wrong, you should be fine. When I took them, I noticed that a lot of the information was out of date, so I wouldn't recommend spending money on the books. Some of the courses even have a version through ce4less that do not require books, if my memory is correct.

How much time does one have between (a) taking the EPPP and CPLEE and (b) taking the courses and the CPLEE? Thanks!
I don't think you need to submit proof of the courses until you are applying for initial licensure, so the answer is however long you want. Once you pass EPPP, you can apply to take the CPLEE (this takes a little while, then you decide when you want to schedule the CPLEE). Once you pass the CPLEE, you can apply for licensure, provided you have your fingerprint form, ce course certificates, etc. Expect the Board of Psychology to lose your information and be a general mess. Make multiple copies of EVERYTHING.

I split the books with other postdocs so it was cheap (like...a few dollars). I think you need them. Googling will take forever. Time vs money. I have stuff to get done.

You can take the courses anytime. Can do them all in a weekend if you want (they require a bit of skimming articles while you take the quizzes)...you can spend as little or as much time on them as you think you need, then email the certificates to your case person at the BOP, of I recall correctly.

You get approved for the CPLEE soon after you pass the EPPP (or within a month), so you can take them as close together as you want, depending on availability of the CPLEE times at your testing center of choice. I studied for the CPLEE for a month before taking it, I think.

thanks for your replies! another question, would you recommend ce4less or zur institute for the pre-licensure courses?

I would go for ce4less, simply for monetary reasons and convenience. Everyone I know used it, for around $70 or less.
thanks for your replies! another question, would you recommend ce4less or zur institute for the pre-licensure courses?

Sometimes ce4less does a free trial month - if you sign up for that and do all your courses, I don't think you even end up having to pay at all. Not sure if that's something they still do, but with all the licensure costs, it's worth it to pinch every single penny.

I don't think you need to submit proof of the courses until you are applying for initial licensure, so the answer is however long you want. Once you pass EPPP, you can apply to take the CPLEE (this takes a little while, then you decide when you want to schedule the CPLEE). Once you pass the CPLEE, you can apply for licensure, provided you have your fingerprint form, ce course certificates, etc. Expect the Board of Psychology to lose your information and be a general mess. Make multiple copies of EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your response! :)
I took a year off between internship and postdoc so I plan to take the EPPP in the summer before postdoc begins. I was asking about time because I'll have to wait until i accrue my hours to take the CPLEE and was wondering if they had any limits of time between the two exams. Seems like it'll be ok though.

Just going through this process now- if it's helpful to anyone here's a code they sent to get $10 off at CE4Less site!
AF322829