Practive NBME shelf exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CwAs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the scores given on the NBME practice shelf exams mean?

Members don't see this ad.

the score corresponds with a three digit usmle score. the purpose is to gauge about how well you would do on the real thing. some people do worse on the real thing, most people do better

the score corresponds with a three digit usmle score. the purpose is to gauge about how well you would do on the real thing. some people do worse on the real thing, most people do better
Thanks for responding. On the shelf exams I get a two digit score, not three. Does this two digit score correspond to a percentile ranking? Where do I find the percentiles?

Thanks for responding. On the shelf exams I get a two digit score, not three. Does this two digit score correspond to a percentile ranking? Where do I find the percentiles?

Oh I am sorry, this is for shelf exams and not for Step 2 CK. The two digit score usually corresponds to a percentile but it's different for every exam. Usually an 85 or higher will get you above 80th percentile which is honors for most schools. Some exams it's lower, some it's higher. It also depends on the time of the year you take the shelf exam because the score corresponding to 80th percentile will get higher as time goes on

Reactions: 1 user