Practice Tests for COMLEX Level 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d-dimer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who took COMLEX level 1:
Which practice tests do you recommend to take for someone only taking the COMLEX? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I honesty felt like the comsaes were useless for step 1. You don't even get explanations for 60 dollars..or even see what you missed. They weren't even close to my score and were sporadic. Esp for step 2. For step 2 my comsaes were over 120 point difference. I did both usmle and comlex step 1 and I liked the uworld practice test. And you can review it too which is nice.

Reactions: 1 users
I honesty felt like the comsaes were useless for step 1. You don't even get explanations for 60 dollars..or even see what you missed. They weren't even close to my score and were sporadic. Esp for step 2. For step 2 my comsaes were over 120 point difference. I did both usmle and comlex step 1 and I liked the uworld practice test. And you can review it too which is nice.

So you think highly of the uworld self assessments?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a full 8 blocks of Combank. That will mimic COMLEX. COMSAEs are garbage and are a huge waste of time.
So you think highly of the uworld self assessments?
I like them and you can review them after unlike NBMEs. Moreover, from what I've been seeing lately, USWAs are more predictive (albeit a bit off) than NBMEs if you're taking the USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do a full 8 blocks of Combank. That will mimic COMLEX. COMSAEs are garbage and are a huge waste of time.

I like them and you can review them after unlike NBMEs. Moreover, from what I've been seeing lately. USWAs are more predictive (albeit a bit off) than NBMEs if you're taking the USMLE.

Good to know. I've heard a lot of split feelings about them.

Yea uworld tests are gold in my opinion. Comsaes are essentially 200 random questions imo lol. Maybe do one just to see what it's like but I think more then that is a waste. Just my two cents. But you can screen shot comsae questions if person desired to do so.

I like them and you can review them after unlike NBMEs. Moreover, from what I've been seeing lately, USWAs are more predictive (albeit a bit off) than NBMEs if you're taking the USMLE.
I already did COMBANK. Should 8 blocks on Comquest be fine?

Yea uworld tests are gold in my opinion. Comsaes are essentially 200 random questions imo lol. Maybe do one just to see what it's like but I think more then that is a waste. Just my two cents. But you can screen shot comsae questions if person desired to do so.
Do you get a strengths and weakness report on COMSAEs or NBMEs?

yea but I don't know how useful that is. for me I never thought too much into it. Because my strengths and weaknesses were inconsistent between tests, and I knew what subjects I was good at from med school/personal interests. Weaknesses I kinda new as well, just from studying and spending more time on them

I already did COMBANK. Should 8 blocks on Comquest be fine?

Do you get a strengths and weakness report on COMSAEs or NBMEs?

If you pay extra for the NBME you get a nice breakdown of areas that you were weak in and you get to see the questions you got wrong. You're not given the correct answers but google can help.

With a comsae (I've only done D so far) all you get is a breakdown of 3 categories: Discipline (anatomy, path, micro, etc), Physician Task (Management, History and Physical, etc) and Patient Presentation (Tissue and trauma related, Thermoregulation related, Sensory Alteration, etc). And you do not get to see the questions you got wrong. All you get is the score card with the categories and gradings from poor performance to good performance.

I took COMSAE A and C because my school provided them. C was the only one I took near test time, and it under-predicted by about 20 points. I think the NBOME did some research somewhere and found that it under-predicts on average by around that much. I thought the question style was pretty similar to the real thing. As others have said, it's useless for studying, just a maybe-kinda-sorta-ballpark self-assessment.

As for q's, recommend doing a second pass on Uworld, incorrects on Uworld, or new questions on USMLE Rx, Comquest, etc?

COMSAE E was 3 points off for me, and was just as close for most of the people I know

Comsae E are the "most accurate" but can still be off + or - 100 points fwiw.

take comsae E and get at least a 500 and you can feel comfortable you'll at least pass

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, any advice on how to interpret these COMSAE scores to the real deal?

Comsae C - 465
Comsae A - 549
COMBANK avg - 70% at the end

Just took the COMLEX level 1 and I keep thinking I might have failed it...

In my day, the NBMEs were more predictive (+/- 5 points) and the UWSAs overpredicted your score (+10-15). That said, it may have changed. A lot happens with board prep in 2 years.

Haha, yeah, but that's also what the COMLEX feels like.

As for q's, recommend doing a second pass on Uworld, incorrects on Uworld, or new questions on USMLE Rx, Comquest, etc?

Are you only taking COMLEX or are you taking the USMLE?

Taking both: This really depends on time. If you don't have much, review incorrects in UWorld, if you do, do a second pass random timed.

COMLEX only: UW incorrects and COMQUEST.

If you've already done 1 pass of UWorld, I really don't see a point in doing Rx.

Comsae C - 465
Comsae A - 549

If you already took it, don't worry about it. I think with those COMSAEs it would be pretty unlikely for you to fail, and most likely you're at least in the high 400s. That said, they aren't particularly predictive of the exact score.

I'm only taking Comlex. For those who have Comquest, recommend doing practice tests (200-400qs) on that q-bank over COMSAEs?

Also, what ya'll recommend me to do from here on out, 6 weeks before my Comlex?
-400 q's from COMBANK
-UW self assessment
-Reviewing my very comprehensive Word doc of missed/hard concepts
-UW incorrect q's
-1500 Comquest q's (can make timed tests of 400 q's)
-COMSAE forms A, C, E

Last edited:

Comsae C - 465
Comsae A - 549

I'm in a similar boat. I have my exam in 4 days.
COMSAE form A 3 days ago- 581.
COMSAE form C today- 469.
COMBANK avg- 66% (I've only done about 3/4 of it so far)
Should I be worried about taking the exam in 4 days?

I'm in a similar boat. I have my exam in 4 days.
COMSAE form A 3 days ago- 581.
COMSAE form C today- 469.
COMBANK avg- 66% (I've only done about 3/4 of it so far)
Should I be worried about taking the exam in 4 days?

That's a pretty heavy tank. But then again I've been told that the COMSAEs can really range a lot. If we average them that's ~520. So you'll probably pass.

What are you doing poorly in though?

That's a pretty heavy tank. But then again I've been told that the COMSAEs can really range a lot. If we average them that's ~520. So you'll probably pass.

What are you doing poorly in though?
Thanks! I'm just concerned that if I can drop 112 points on a COMSAE with pretty much the exact same amount of knowledge, who's to say I won't drop another 112 beyond that on the actual exam? But I'm trying not to think about that...

The other problem is that the COMSAEs did not help me identify my weaknesses. The two reports varied so much. And also, I don't know how to study for Health Care Delivery issues... But based on my Combank and UWorld feedback, I think I'm going to focus these last 2 days on anatomy, Neuro, micro, and keep reviewing my OMM. I'm pretty strong in micro, but I hear there are a lot of random, detailed micro questions that they ask. Let me know if you have other thoughts!

Question: What kind of somatic dysfunction is this and please explain:

15 degree levoscoliosis of thoracic spine with apex at T9. The scoliotic area in this patient behaves like which of the following somatic dysfunctions?

A: T6-T12 Rotated L, Side bent R
B: T6-T12 Rotated R, Side Bent L
C: T9 extended , rotated R, Side bent R
D: T9 flexed, Rotated R, Side Bent Right
E: T9 flexed rotated L, side bent L

Question: What kind of somatic dysfunction is this and please explain:

15 degree levoscoliosis of thoracic spine with apex at T9. The scoliotic area in this patient behaves like which of the following somatic dysfunctions?

A: T6-T12 Rotated L, Side bent R
B: T6-T12 Rotated R, Side Bent L
C: T9 extended , rotated R, Side bent R
D: T9 flexed, Rotated R, Side Bent Right
E: T9 flexed rotated L, side bent L

I'm far out, but I'd go with A. Levoscoliosis means sidebent right (prominence on the left back with forward bending test). Obviously has to be a group curve, which means it's neutral mechanics, so rotation will be to opposite of sidebending. T6-12 because T9 is halfway between each as the apex.

33 yr old male present with active IBD of the right colon. The viserosomatic dysfunction demonstrates in cervical region. This reflex is mediated by :

A: Inferior Hypogastric plexus
B: Left Splanchincs
C: Left Vagus nerve
D: Right Splanchics
E: Right Vabus nerve

Could you please provide the answer and say why the other answers are wrong. I just wanna know what's the function of splanchincs (greater, less, least) and pelvic ones, Im always confused about those.

Thanks

Comsae E are the "most accurate" but can still be off + or - 100 points fwiw.

take comsae E and get at least a 500 and you can feel comfortable you'll at least pass
How can I buy COMSAE E or D? I only see COMSAE A, B, and C....