practicality of pgy2 cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im really interested in cardiology but im wondering how marketable pgy2 in cardiology is compared to more broad pgy2 programs such as critical care? anyone have experiences or thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

im really interested in cardiology but im wondering how marketable pgy2 in cardiology is compared to more broad pgy2 programs such as critical care? anyone have experiences or thoughts on this?

I've only known a few people who have done cardio PGY2s. They either wanted to work in a large academic hospital (with dedicated cardiology pharmacists on the team), or go into academia/teaching. Both areas seem like it'd be tough to get a job... I think there's only a handful of cardio PGY2 programs, too. If you want to expand your job net, you may want to go into something more broad. Or you might have to be okay with getting a job in something non-cardiology related.

PGY2 cardio can prepare you to do more with VADs/devices than I imagine a PGY2 critical care program could.
we would hire a cardio-trained pharmacist over a CC-trained pharmacist for such a cardiac ICU type position
if the PGY2 cardio program had sufficient heart transplant rotation exposure, I would think similarly for a transplant position

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the PGY-2 Cardio trained pharmacists i know either: a). Are faculty or work in an academic teaching hospital, or b). swallowed their pride and are working in a role they could have had with a PGY-1

I agree with the above poster that a VADS/Transplant center may find a niche role for one based on training experiences.