Practical gift for a new DPT graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSDiVinci

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a DO student looking for gift ideas for a new DPT graduate. He doesn't much care for things that aren't practical and prefers a gift he would get some use out of. I'm looking for some input from practicing PTs on things you thought would have been useful when you first started practicing and wish you had (books, tools, bags..etc) or any tools you currently use that you feel you can't do without. Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Netters anatomy atlas
Dutton Exam/Evaluation

Goniometer
New watch with a timer

Last edited:
subscription to medbridge.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
nice pens
Chocolate

Lol I don't know many new grad PTs who'd be thrilled with a goni or a copy of Netters as a gift. New grads are poor and your clinic should have whatever you need, ergo cash or a gift card is probably more useful!

Reactions: 2 users
Raybans or other Polarized sunglasses are super nice for driving when its sunny. If he likes sports tickets to a baseball or basketball game. If he likes to drink tickets to a beer festival or concert. If he likes to be outdoors tickets to go rock climbing, zipline, other things that are outdoors. Gift card to a restaurant, movie theatre, top golf, etc. new sneakers?

Reactions: 1 users
It's hard to say what their work place will provide and what they won't, so we'll assume they provide all the job-related equipment. PTs spend a lot of time on their feet, so a good pair of comfortable shoes. New PT graduates also don't always have the right attire for their new jobs. Comfortable business casual clothes (or a gift card for them) are good. New PT graduates also often have to move to wherever their new job is. Moving is expensive, so cash isn't such a bad idea. If he/she is going from a furnished college style apartment to an unfurnished place in a different town, you can also take your pick of anything they may be missing for their new place - wall clock, DVD player, TV, end table, bathroom organizer, mirror, whatever.