Potential acceptance to Audiology school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulAuDstudent321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in a ComDis program and my overall GPA is a 3.6 and ComDis Major GPA is a 3.8. My GRE scores are on the lower end, right around the 25th percentile. I work with an ENT and Audiologist and Volunteer with my University's NSSLHA. I was wondering if I am competitive at all or if the GRE scores will hold me back if I can't get them any higher. If you have any helpful hints or information regarding applications it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a junior in a ComDis program and my overall GPA is a 3.6 and ComDis Major GPA is a 3.8. My GRE scores are on the lower end, right around the 25th percentile. I work with an ENT and Audiologist and Volunteer with my University's NSSLHA. I was wondering if I am competitive at all or if the GRE scores will hold me back if I can't get them any higher. If you have any helpful hints or information regarding applications it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Hi there! I just went through the application process and I think it all depends on where you apply to. Some schools weigh GPA/GRE heavier than others and my math scores were in the 10th percentile the first time around and the 21st percentile the second time around taking the GRE. Ask the programs you're thinking of applying to whether they only accept one GRE test scores or if they'll take the best out of each section in each attempt. If they do, I'd suggest taking it again and trying to get higher in one of the sections then sending both test scores. I think my GRE scores only really mattered a whole lot to two out of the six schools I applied to and one of them was a long shot top-ranked program, the other I think just really wants to see higher GRE scores than what I had because they had a lot fewer openings. On the other hand, one of the schools I applied to accepted me even though my GRE scores didn't meet their minimum requirement. So it really just depends on where you apply and making sure you submitting a well-rounded application.

I also would suggest, if you haven't already, shadowing with another audiologist or two in a different setting in addition to your workplace. I shadowed at hospitals and private practices before applying and I think the fact that I went after multiple shadowing opportunities in different settings really helped.

I spent from the summer after my junior year to probably October or so just researching programs and finding ones that fit what I was looking for best. Completing and submitting applications is a very stressful and nerve-wracking process, but if you're sure it's the right path for you go for it and give it all you've got! I'm sure everything will work out great :)

Reactions: 1 user

These following sites may be helpful:

1) http://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?area=AUD&degree=ALL&location=ALL
2) thegradcafe.com

For 1, ASHA EdFind provides a listing of all AuD programs in the country. When you browse each program, it may or may not provide average or minimum GPA/GRE requirements. Some may not be up to date, so I encourage checking university websites, too for scores.
For 2, this is a forum like SDN. If you go to the results section, search audiology and results may or may not show GPA/GRE scores of admitted/waitlisted/rejected applicants.

As a third year AuD student, I'd say that amongst the 70+ AuD programs, certain programs weigh GRE scores more heavily than others. When you research programs on university websites, you'll be able to learn quickly which programs care more about the scores. Based on your stats, I'd encourage looking at programs who don't weigh GRE scores as heavily. Also, what was your analytical writing score? The gold standard is a 4 on AW.