Poster presentation vs. oral presentation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ojy77511

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if the conference involved oral presentation/powerpoint in panels? I did several of these and had abstract accepted but not a poster. Just curious whether there is a distinction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

They are both dissemination of your work, right? The goal is to disseminate and the mode is many.

I consider oral presentations to be more prestigious, since fewer people get to do these.

Keep in mind that this needs to be at a meeting, not your school's "Science Day"

Does it matter if the conference involved oral presentation/powerpoint in panels? I did several of these and had abstract accepted but not a poster. Just curious whether there is a distinction.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did two at my school research conference and it was in panels. There were faculty members as panel moderators and some Ph.D and postdocs that visited as guests to check us out.

Oral presentation accompanied by power points. I hope this is good haha

Keep in mind that this needs to be at a meeting, not your school's "Science Day"
I did two at my school research conference and it was in panels. There were faculty members as panel moderators and some Ph.D and postdocs that visited as guests to check us out.
Yet this is essentially a school " science day." A meeting would be, for example, the annual proceedings of the American Cancer association, which is a legitimate research symposium that people submit work to. Don't overplay your talks, as there's a good chance an adcom takes it as fluffing

Reactions: 2 users
In addition to "real" scientific meetings, there are also national undergraduate research conferences such as NCUR, NCHC, NCRC, and symposia specific to various programs, which are a step in between. AACR, ASCB, etc do offer undergraduate-only presentation sessions.